Do Senior Members without Grade wear epaulets on the corporate aviator shirt?

Started by Aegidius, March 23, 2016, 02:27:12 AM

JeffDG

Quote from: SkywalkerRA on March 31, 2016, 04:58:20 PM
I think that's a fair point. But here's what I know, if there was a member who always wore a long-sleeve shirt and tie, followd regulations, and looked sharp every time, if the commander told him that he was out of compliance, and not following regulations, and needed to be disciplined, corrected, or some other corrective action taken, because he never wore his short sleeve shirt, and therefore never proved that he owned the short sleeve shirt uniform. I think that would cause a problem that isn't really a problem.
I think that's a fair point.  But here's what I know, if there was a member who always wore the polo, followed regulations, and looked sharp every time, if the commander told him that he was out of compliance and not following regulations, and needed to be disciplined, corrected, or some other corrective action taken, because he never wore his short sleeve blues, and therefore never proved that he owned it.  I think that would cause a problem that isn't really a problem.

No different.

Storm Chaser

That wouldn't be a problem under most circumstances. But if the UOD is short sleeves because, for whatever reason, uniformity is required, then the member would need to wear a short sleeve shirt.

Papabird

Funny thing, I always read that as the minimum for the uniform.  You had to have this "or more", sometimes instead (long sleeves vs. short sleeves), but basically you have to a form of the dress uniform.  If you want to go full on and go "class A", good for you.  If you have tattoos or just prefer long sleeves, better have a tie, but good for you.  If you are wanting Corp, great!  Just the SS Blue?  Great! ETC.

But you have to have something to "pin" your stuff onto.  Ever try to "promote" a person in a polo?  The grey slides don't stay on.   >:D

I know a lot of people that don't have full service dress uniforms, and that is great, but you should have something.  And come on, if you are wearing a Polo, just spend the $20.00 for a SS Aviator, the $3.80 for the nameplate, and the $9.20 for the grade.  If we loose you over ~$30.00, wow.  I thought that was one of the point of the Corporate uniforms, low cost, low requirements, not a lot to buy.

Back to the OP, our squadron has a supply of the blanks, and yes, they are just handed out and returned.  We have a number of different grades slides, and if you hand in a 2d Lt slide for a 1st Lt slide, we are all good.  Lots of officers have donated their old slides.
Michael Willis, Lt. Col CAP
Georgia Wing

etodd

Quote from: THRAWN on March 31, 2016, 04:22:58 PM
If the simple uniform regs are not being followed, what else is being glossed over?

By my wearing the more casual polo uniform, I'm able to concentrate and spend more time pre-flighting the airplane, instead of worrying whether my shoes are shined enough or whether i have everything on my shirt correctly, etc.  ;)

Follow those rules or move on.

I do. I wear the polo.

We wear uniforms here.

"WE" ...... and thats been addressed on an earlier page in this thread by some of us. We have a broad spectrum of members in this civil organization. Each with their own goals and desires.

Some are just happy doing their tech or other jobs and like to stay in their corner of the organization. Simple, basic polo or whatever they like, works just fine for them.

Others are into the structure of CAP and want to move up the 'corporate ladder'. So, having the full compliment of uniform selections, badges, name plates, etc., etc. its very important to them and their progress. Its all wonderful for them.

"WE" .... are a varied and diverse organization of volunteers. IMHO ... keeping that in mind might help with retention issues. Its all good.

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

etodd

Quote from: Papabird on March 31, 2016, 05:31:37 PM

But you have to have something to "pin" your stuff onto.

Thats the point I'm making. There are those who don't need or want the 'stuff'. Its great for those who do. But I'm happy just being a "SM".

THRAWN

Quote from: etodd on March 31, 2016, 05:31:37 PM
If the simple uniform regs are not being followed, what else is being glossed over?

By my wearing the more casual polo uniform, I'm able to concentrate and spend more time pre-flighting the airplane, instead of worrying whether my shoes are shined enough or whether i have everything on my shirt correctly, etc.  ;)

Follow those rules or move on.

I do. I wear the polo.

We wear uniforms here.

"WE" ...... and thats been addressed on an earlier page in this thread by some of us. We have a broad spectrum of members in this civil organization. Each with their own goals and desires.

Some are just happy doing their tech or other jobs and like to stay in their corner of the organization. Simple, basic polo or whatever they like, works just fine for them.

Others are into the structure of CAP and want to move up the 'corporate ladder'. So, having the full compliment of uniform selections, badges, name plates, etc., etc. its very important to them and their progress. Its all wonderful for them.

"WE" .... are a varied and diverse organization of volunteers. IMHO ... keeping that in mind might help with retention issues. Its all good.

Horsehockey. Justify your disregard for maintaining the minimum any way you want but it is still wrong. You are required to have the minimum basic uniform and it isnt the polo.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

A better meme was never generated. Kudos to my comrade in the west...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

etodd

Quote from: THRAWN on March 31, 2016, 05:42:12 PMYou are required to have the minimum basic uniform and it isnt the polo.

I ordered it last night. It'll be in my closet by next week if anyone ever wants to come see it and verify its there in my possession.

NCRblues

Quote from: etodd on March 31, 2016, 06:00:43 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on March 31, 2016, 05:42:12 PMYou are required to have the minimum basic uniform and it isnt the polo.

I ordered it last night. It'll be in my closet by next week if anyone ever wants to come see it and verify its there in my possession.

Why not try it out once or twice?
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

THRAWN

Quote from: etodd on March 31, 2016, 06:00:43 PM

So when your commander sets the uniform of the day you will wear it or ignore the order? Based on your previous posts you will do what you want. Excellent example for the cadets you claim to want to mentor.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

etodd

Quote from: THRAWN on March 31, 2016, 06:11:07 PM

So when your commander sets the uniform of the day you will wear it or ignore the order?

Good point. I've never heard of or participated in an 'event' where the Commander set a "Uniform of the Day". I guess if he specified dress blues, then I would just have to skip that event.

But goes back to a post a few pages ago in regards to this weekends Wing Conference. The Wing set the uniform requirements for the day in several ways, such that anyone with just polo could still participate in all activities. If they had set anything else ... I guess I would have missed the rubber chicken dinner.

As to Cadets ... this thread was talking about Seniors. Who I see totally different than Cadets. As senior members (at least here locally) we do not march, have inspections, etc., etc. Cadets are wholly different in how they are run, and what you see me saying in this thread I "never" would say to Cadets at a meeting.  The meticulous nature of uniforms and inspections and more, is teaching them attention to detail, respect for those grades above them, and hundreds of other things. Its all apples and oranges to my personal involvement.

NCRblues

Quote from: etodd on March 31, 2016, 06:25:59 PM

So when your commander sets the uniform of the day you will wear it or ignore the order?

Good point. I've never heard of or participated in an 'event' where the Commander set a "Uniform of the Day". I guess if he specified dress blues, then I would just have to skip that event.

But goes back to a post a few pages ago in regards to this weekends Wing Conference. The Wing set the uniform requirements for the day in several ways, such that anyone with just polo could still participate in all activities. If they had set anything else ... I guess I would have missed the rubber chicken dinner.

As to Cadets ... this thread was talking about Seniors. Who I see totally different than Cadets. As senior members (at least here locally) we do not march, have inspections, etc., etc. Cadets are wholly different in how they are run, and what you see me saying in this thread I "never" would say to Cadets at a meeting.  The meticulous nature of uniforms and inspections and more, is teaching them attention to detail, respect for those grades above them, and hundreds of other things. Its all apples and oranges to my personal involvement.

You are so against putting on gray slacks and a white shirt or blue slacks and a light blue shirt that you will skip excellent training? That's crazy!

My question to you still stands, why not try it out?!

(Because heaven forbid the cadets learning attention to detail will see you, their leader, doing the same things)
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

vorteks

Cadets read CT.

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on March 31, 2016, 05:46:15 PM

So, ABU's are mandatory now?

Very witty, and yet it does not provide any information about actual benefits to the member or mission.

Toad1168

Perfect example of do as I say, not as I do.
Toad

JeffDG

Quote from: NCRblues on March 31, 2016, 06:44:31 PM
Why would he?  It provides zero benefit to him.

Part of the whole regulation reengineering is to remove regulatory mandates that serve no purpose. 

etodd

You are so against putting on gray slacks and a white shirt or blue slacks and a light blue shirt that you will skip excellent training? That's crazy!

I haven't missed any training, and don't see any in the foreseeable future that I might miss.

Because someone would wind up walking up to me as I got out of a plane .... and start jumping on me for my name tag being crooked, or I didn't have all the correct buttons done, or I was looking a bit wrinkled, etc. etc. ...

A Squadron lost a very good pilot and educator awhile back for just that type of situation. SAREX completed successfully and some high ranking fella in Blues on the tarmac didn't like how the pilot's uniform looked when he got out of the plane.  The pilot stood there and took it as the guy railed on him .. and then never returned. You might say 'good riddance' ..... but I think the wrong per on left CAP in that circumstance.

To each his own.  As I said earlier, I ordered the minimum uniform so that I'm legal with the regs. All is good. :)

lordmonar

And they should.  And one should question if you should be flying a CAP aircraft if you can't master the simple tasks needed to wear the Gray and White uniforms.

I know you are just trying to be "that guy"...but really.   Give it a rest.

You are perfectly fine wearing the polos at CAP.....unless your chain of command says "everyone in blues or gray and whites."  In which case you have to put them on....because thems the rules.

Just like getting a flight release or a CAPF 5....thems the rules.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: lordmonar on March 31, 2016, 07:10:30 PM
Just like getting a flight release or a CAPF 5....thems the rules.

Nah, c'mon, there's more important things than jibber jabbering with the FRO or filling out paperwork. Don't you know? We've got missions to complete. We ain't got time for none of that pro-see-dure-none-sense!