Chief Insignia for Gore-Tex Jacket

Started by Airplane girl, February 12, 2016, 03:19:03 PM

Airplane girl

It's been a really long time since I've worn my Gore-Tex to a CAP event, since this winter has been unusually warm and I didn't go to winter encampment this year. So the last time I wore it, I had C/SrA insignia (I was a C/SSgt, but that's another story). So now I'm a Chief, and I'm going to wear my Gore-Tex to an activity tomorrow. But I noticed yesterday that my insignia doesn't fit on the jacket tab. According to the regulation, it's supposed to be below the CAP, but when I put my insignia on the tab, the top of it covers the A in CAP.

The picture in figure A5-7 of CAPM39-1 shows the Chief insignia perfectly fitting on the tab. Is there a bigger jacket tab you have to buy when you become a C/SNCO? Because there is only one plain blue jacket tab on Vanguard. It says that it is for NCOs. But there isn't another one, so I think it was the one I bought as a C/A1C.

So my question is, did Vanguard make a mistake making the jacket tabs and mine shouldn't be the size that it is? Or is there a bigger jacket tab with enough space for my insignia that I have to buy now?

lordmonar

Nope....just one size tab.

Do your best to center the insignia between the CAP and the bottom edge.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

NIN

Quote from: lordmonar on February 12, 2016, 03:23:51 PM
Nope....just one size tab.

Do your best to center the insignia between the CAP and the bottom edge.

What SMSgt Harris said.

:)

Over the years, I've encountered situations where the physical realities don't always match the printed requirements.  So you do the best job you can to fit the intent within reason.

Someone comes up and says "Your insignia isn't supposed to touch the bottom edge!" your best course of action is to say "OK, you're right. Can you help me make my insignia fit top to bottom without touching the bottom edge??"  Eventually they'll go "Hmm, thats weird, it won't fit!"  (and internally, you're saying "No kidding!")

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Shawn W.

QuoteSomeone comes up and says "Your insignia isn't supposed to touch the bottom edge!" your best course of action is to say "OK, you're right. Can you help me make my insignia fit top to bottom without touching the bottom edge??"  Eventually they'll go "Hmm, thats weird, it won't fit!"  (and internally, you're saying "No kidding!")

+1

Airplane girl

Thank you for answering my question, Sir and Sergeant.

Luckily, no one asked me why my insignia didn't fit between the CAP and the bottom edge of the jacket tab. Although it would have been pretty funny to see someone trying to make it fit there.

PHall

You could get your Mitchell and get promoted to C/2d Lt. That would fit!

almostspaatz

Quote from: PHall on February 15, 2016, 08:41:26 PM

It really helps... ;D
C/Maj Steve Garrett

Garibaldi

Quote from: almostspaatz on February 15, 2016, 09:27:41 PM

It really helps... ;D

You will feel pounds lighter with just a single dot than eleventy stripes.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

almostspaatz

Quote from: Garibaldi on February 15, 2016, 09:32:19 PM
Quote from: almostspaatz on February 15, 2016, 09:27:41 PM

It really helps... ;D

You will feel pounds lighter with just a single dot than eleventy stripes.

And you won't get stabbed in the neck anymore....
C/Maj Steve Garrett