Main Menu

CAP RANK

Started by alexalvarez, January 14, 2016, 03:36:34 AM

Treadhead

Quote from: lordmonar on January 14, 2016, 06:30:29 AM
Quote from: raivo on January 14, 2016, 05:59:47 AM
"Federal rank" is not a term I've heard before, but I can guarantee that whatever it actually means, does not apply to CAP members.
From what I understand.   "federal rank" is a distinction between regular AD officers and some National Guard officers.   The national guard governor can commission a person to the officer ranks with out that person meeting Active Duty/regular officer criteria or be outside the quotas for said rank.
For all intents and purposes there is no difference between the two.....except if/when the National Guard gets nationalized.    The AD military does not have to recognize the State commission/Rank and bump the person down to another rank.

This mostly never happens and is just one of those subtle differences between the National Guard and the Federal Reserves/AD.

Any ways....it most certainly does not apply to CAP members.
CAP members have AUXILIARY Rank.....unless they happen to have state/federal rank in their own right by being NG/RES/AD as well.

There's a lot of weirdness when it comes to Title 32 vs Title 10.  Officers of the National Guard are on Title 32 status, and they cannot give orders to Title 10 (active duty) officers.  In the event of a state emergency where Title 10 forces are needed, there has to be a dual status command setup.  This means that a dual status commander is designated who then wears both title 32 and title 10 rank and can thus give orders to the Active Component.  It's complicated.
Walter F. Lott
1st Lt (CAP) ret
LTC, USAR (ret)
Lt Col, California State Military Reserve
Former member of Mather Cadet Sq. 14 and McClellan Cadet Sq. 12

Toth

Quote from: Treadhead on March 09, 2016, 12:29:02 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on January 14, 2016, 06:30:29 AM
Quote from: raivo on January 14, 2016, 05:59:47 AM
"Federal rank" is not a term I've heard before, but I can guarantee that whatever it actually means, does not apply to CAP members.
From what I understand.   "federal rank" is a distinction between regular AD officers and some National Guard officers.   The national guard governor can commission a person to the officer ranks with out that person meeting Active Duty/regular officer criteria or be outside the quotas for said rank.
For all intents and purposes there is no difference between the two.....except if/when the National Guard gets nationalized.    The AD military does not have to recognize the State commission/Rank and bump the person down to another rank.

This mostly never happens and is just one of those subtle differences between the National Guard and the Federal Reserves/AD.

Any ways....it most certainly does not apply to CAP members.
CAP members have AUXILIARY Rank.....unless they happen to have state/federal rank in their own right by being NG/RES/AD as well.

There's a lot of weirdness when it comes to Title 32 vs Title 10.  Officers of the National Guard are on Title 32 status, and they cannot give orders to Title 10 (active duty) officers.  In the event of a state emergency where Title 10 forces are needed, there has to be a dual status command setup.  This means that a dual status commander is designated who then wears both title 32 and title 10 rank and can thus give orders to the Active Component.  It's complicated.

Me and a bunch of other cadets got chewed out about a year ago by the wing commander (we were at a SAREX at the time) because me (C/2d Lt at the time) and some other cadets allegedly 'ordered' a National Guard NCO to salute us because we were 'officers'. Obviously that didn't go over well, and word made it to the wing commander, who then proceeded to rip us all a good one. After some investigation turns out I was in a CAP van at the time and the other two cadets were on the other side of town with a senior member, so we were all cleared.

Obviously cadet officers and senior member officers are two different things as well, but the rules I've always been taught were that members of CAP are required to render customs to members of the military in uniform, but they weren't required to salute back. I've actually been saluted by a NG NCO (4:30 in the morning on Ft Harrison, it was quite dark, he was marching a 'flight' for some kinda recruit training thing, think he just saw my officer's cap and jumped to conclusions) and of course I saluted him back, but I never thought there was any question on the fact that our officers don't have any power over members of the military (although it seems like some members of CAP try to force it periodically)
SM Toth Mendius, CAP
C/CC RMR-MT-053 (ret.), RMR Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)
Mitchell #65174, Earhart #17361
GES, ♦ICUT, ♦FLM, GTM3, UDF, SET, MS, MRO, EMT, *GTM2

etodd

Interesting thread. I'm thankful to be in a Squadron where I never hear these types of discussions. I'm just a volunteer guy in a non-profit organization trying to help out in any way I can.

(Running for cover now ....)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Toth on March 09, 2016, 02:01:50 AM
After some investigation turns out I was in a CAP van at the time and the other two cadets were on the other side of town with a senior member, so we were all cleared.

That moment where you've never been so happy to have kept a proper log of your activities...

"YOU DID THE THING!"

"Sir, I did not do the thing. Here is the paperwork showing me doing some other thing somewhere else at the time."

Holding Pattern

Quote from: etodd on March 09, 2016, 04:49:55 AM
Interesting thread. I'm thankful to be in a Squadron where I never hear these types of discussions.

I've only ever heard them on CAPTALK.

Raptormanf35

I've been saluted before too  it's funny.

goblin

Quote from: Raptormanf35 on March 12, 2016, 11:21:11 PM
I've been saluted before too  it's funny.

Sounds hilarious