Uniform Inventory Programs

Started by JAFO78, December 23, 2015, 03:16:31 AM

JAFO78

As Supply Officer for my squadron, I would like to know how you keep track of uniform inventory?. I was in a squadron where the Logistics Officer made up a inventory list using Microsoft Office. It was hard to use. He wanted everything posted online so he could see inventory as could the CDR and Deputies. I was there for a year and transferred to a squadron closer to home.

I am now in a squadron that has no idea to what they have on hand. we have to manually check each and every uniform for sizes. Our supply is so disorganized it is going to take me several months working only on meeting nights to inventory. I hope to spend at lest a good 8 to 10 hrs at one time getting everything tagged with sizes and hung up, and then write down the numbers on paper.

Do you use a computer program to track your uniforms or just paper and pen. I know uniforms are expendable and may not be tracked at all.

Thanks for your help and time on this.
JAFO

kirbahashi

I've used Excel.  It was not designed for that, but it seemed to do the job just well.  I used that in conjunction with an issue log.  Once a month I updated the computer file so it would be accurate, or sooner if I issued mass quantities.  But using a log with a computer program could be extra steps with today's technology.

I am sure you could get something out there that uses the Q-code or something like that.  But you will still need to do a lot of front end loading of information.  And for that, I have no clue.

Best of luck, because it will be time consuming!  But having at the minimum a document that says you should have a pair of Medium Long BDU pants is better than nothing.
There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk.

THRAWN

Quote from: kirbahashi on December 23, 2015, 03:52:14 PM
I've used Excel.  It was not designed for that, but it seemed to do the job just well.  I used that in conjunction with an issue log.  Once a month I updated the computer file so it would be accurate, or sooner if I issued mass quantities.  But using a log with a computer program could be extra steps with today's technology.

I am sure you could get something out there that uses the Q-code or something like that.  But you will still need to do a lot of front end loading of information.  And for that, I have no clue.

Best of luck, because it will be time consuming!  But having at the minimum a document that says you should have a pair of Medium Long BDU pants is better than nothing.

You can do a lot with Excel. It's simple to use and manipulate data. You can make sheets in the workbook for each type of uniform item, (i.e BDU, service dress, accessories, field equipment, radios, etc)...I've also seen it done with Access with less success.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

EMT-83

I've used Excel for inventory control, not necessarily for uniforms, but it doesn't really matter what the items are.

Start with a unique ID number for each item, and include the size for easy reference. P-ML-001, for example, could be used for medium long pants. Tie a tag to a belt loop, and now you can read the ID number and size without unfolding the pants.

You could keep separate tabs for inventory in stock and equipment that's been isseud. Just cut and paste bewteen sheets as needed. Sort the spreadsheet by ID number, and you'll know exactly how many of each item you have on hand.

Capt Thompson

Google Sheets over Excel, just because it saves in real time, and is available on every device. If you have an excel file on your computer, and forget your computer at home, you have to wait to update it. If it's on Google Sheets, you can update from a cell phone or tablet, so inventory is always up to date. If you are inputting a lot of info, and the computer crashes for some reason before you hit save, Excel may or may not be able to recover it, but if it's in Sheets, every keystroke is automatically saved. You can give view only access or edit capability to others if needed.

Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

JAFO78

Thank you everyone for your help. I knew this was the place to ask.
JAFO

TheSkyHornet

I'm personally a very big fan of using Excel/Google Spreadsheets for tracking information. The formulas make it very convenient to calculate your needs, and customizing each field is great for those stand-out notes (i.e., "Supply Low," "Out of Stock," "Need by [date]").

JAFO78

Just an update, I started using google sheets but then changed to Excel. I will have a copy listed in google sheets later. I'm about 99% complete at this point. I added Vanguard stock numbers (SKU) to every item listed as well as size and price. I didn't include custom items but I did include standard items. Ex no CAP polo's, or anniversary years in service, and pilot wings metal and cloth. I did include the silver and bronze claps. If you have any questions just ask away.
JAFO

SARDOC

I'm not the logisitics expert but do you issue expendable property using ORMS?  Isn't there a way to track this information already?

arajca

Quote from: SARDOC on January 03, 2016, 05:02:23 PM
I'm not the logisitics expert but do you issue expendable property using ORMS?  Isn't there a way to track this information already?
The CAPF 111e in ORMS lets you track what's been issued to who, but does not track what's on the shelf.

Hyperion

For my unit's inventory I use a Microsoft Word document with tables. It's slow and annoying but it works--I may change it to Excel in the future if the formating needs change, but for now I want to keep it similar in design to other unit documents.

I also created individual forms to track who has checked out uniform items in my unit. (Link) This form is similar to the one I used while in JROTC as the LG/CC. This form is only used for items that are expected to be returned when the member leaves. You simply fill out the form in pencil and hold on to it for later. If their items are returned or changed you can simply erase and alter the form. When they are returning the items and leaving the unit, simply compare what they're returning vs. what's on the paper and sign in pen to verify that everything's OK.

Basically, my entire inventory of uniforms (quantity, sizes, etc.) are electronic while my individual forms are paper for easier unit access. Edit the paper while at the unit and update the electronic overall inventory at the end of a month or so.
To serve in silence.

JAFO78

Our goal in supply is to outfit cadets and seniors,with BDU or Blues as quickly as we can. I want to see what is on the shelves without going through every stack of uniforms, and etc.  Once a member is on e-services we give them a squadron T-shirt, wing patch, squadron patch, CAP sewn tape, BDU hat, etc. Then when they get their name plate or sewn name tape from Vanguard, then and only then can they wear a CAP uniform. Other wise its a squadron T-shirt and clean pants for BDU's, or a white dress shirt and black pants for blues.
JAFO