Wear of CAP World War II Aviation Badge authorized

Started by disamuel, November 16, 2015, 05:55:37 PM

Storm Chaser

Quote from: winterg on November 17, 2015, 05:37:30 PM
Quote from: LSThiker on November 17, 2015, 05:35:02 PM
Quote from: winterg on November 17, 2015, 04:58:25 PM
And takers on how many members who have AC wings will start wearing the WWII Observer wings?

Already know a few that think they can start wearing the observer wings even though they are not observers.
And pictures are already appearing on social media of the WWII wings over military badges on CAP blues.

Edit: Unless I am reading the change letter wrong, the WWII wings can not be worn with any other badge unless you are chaplain.

Hence why I think this temporary uniform change was a bad idea. I also don't think it adds anything of value to our 75 anniversary celebration.

Capt Thompson

Quote from: Alaric on November 17, 2015, 05:04:15 PM
Yes and I still maintain that there is no value add to the anniversary celebration.  Announce it, sure, change uniform regs, logos, etc.  No.  I do not believe it adds value to recruiting or retention, NIN wrote a great article about not using IACE and NCSAs to recruit as that only affects a limited number of our cadets.  The fact we were around during the 2nd WW is not going to attract some 12 year old or even some 40 year old.  The mission we did then no longer exists.  I am willing to be wrong, but don't think anyone already a member is staying a member because of what we did in 1941.  So my question remains (where is the value add)

Everything we do is intertwined with recruiting. Color guard in the local parade...recruiting. Teaching AE in a middle school....recruiting. Working with a local BSA troop....recruiting. Historical presentations....recruiting.

Anytime we have interactions with the public, no matter what they are, we should have a mind towards recruiting. Working for the newspaper, I have covered a few historic presentations at local museums, and they always draw a crowd. Next year, my Squadron is putting on a display and presentation at the local historical museum, in which the only cost so far has been about $40, which I paid out of pocket. It will draw a crowd, and therefore, will be a recruiting effort.

One of the reasons I joined as a 15 year old Cadet, was because I was interested in military history, and the Cadet that came and talked to my JROTC class did a great presentation on Civil Air Patrol's history, and I wanted to be involved. A good historical presentation doesn't only focus on one part of an organization's history, but the entire history, and he did a good job discussing the Civil Air Patrol from the 40's to present, and how the missions evolved over time. I was hooked, and went the next Tuesday to check out the Squadron.

Maybe this isn't something that interests you, but don't say it brings no value to recruiting. One thing I've learned over the years, is that people want to belong to something. Our history is a draw for some people, and is something we should all be proud of. As far as retention, a historical program makes for a more well rounded program, and adds content to meetings that make them a little more interesting. If that doesn't interest you, that's your loss, but some people enjoy learning about the history of their Squadron and the history of CAP.

As for the wings, they cost a total of $20 in postage to produce, which was taken care of out of pocket by Col Blazich. If you don't want to wear them, don't. When I read the change letter last week at our meeting, a lot of members were very receptive to the idea. If you're not one of them, great, you don't have to be, carry on as normal as this change doesn't effect you.

As with any change to 39-1, you're going to see uniform infractions. Deal with them as you would with any other infraction....pull the member aside and show them the change letter, and help them correct the issue. Not a big deal.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

kwe1009

Not sure if it was mentioned yet but has anyone considered the money making opportunity for CAP by authorizing the wear of this badge?  Honestly, how many people are going to buy this or any other historical item from Vanguard if they can't put it on their uniform?  I know that some will but I think the numbers go up quite a bit when you authorize it for the uniform. 

winterg

Quote from: kwe1009 on November 17, 2015, 07:23:10 PM
Not sure if it was mentioned yet but has anyone considered the money making opportunity for CAP by authorizing the wear of this badge?  Honestly, how many people are going to buy this or any other historical item from Vanguard if they can't put it on their uniform?  I know that some will but I think the numbers go up quite a bit when you authorize it for the uniform.
Not sure what you mean. It is authorized starting 01DEC15 through 31DEC16. 

Alaric

Quote from: winterg on November 17, 2015, 07:29:24 PM
Quote from: kwe1009 on November 17, 2015, 07:23:10 PM
Not sure what you mean. It is authorized starting 01DEC15 through 31DEC16.

I think his point was by authorizing it, it encourages more people to buy them from Vanguard, which kicks back part of its profit to CAP.

winterg

That makes sense.  Lol. Reading and responding via my mobile on the fly.  I thought he was suggesting it should be authorized.  Ignore me. :)

SkywalkerRA

Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on November 17, 2015, 06:40:35 PM
Maybe this isn't something that interests you, but don't say it brings no value to recruiting. One thing I've learned over the years, is that people want to belong to something. Our history is a draw for some people, and is something we should all be proud of. As far as retention, a historical program makes for a more well rounded program, and adds content to meetings that make them a little more interesting. If that doesn't interest you, that's your loss, but some people enjoy learning about the history of their Squadron and the history of CAP.

I completely agree...the concept of "story" is huge in recruiting, marketing, branding and in connection. I have an organizational development business and I stress this all the time with my clients that you have to tell the story and connect the dots of the story so that people have a picture of what they're a part of, and what their role is (or could be) in the bigger story.

As a PAO I am always looking for the story to tell about our squadron and CAP, and with the anniversary and the insignia, I now have another angle to tell our story to the public.

I know it may sound way too "touchy-feely" for many, but we're wired for connection and this historic insignia program is one way people (who choose to) can connect with the past. And for those that think it's not a great idea, take a pass on it and nothing changes. And if we disagree, we disagree. We're all on the same team-some may just have different wings for a year.

JeffDG

Quote from: THRAWN on November 17, 2015, 03:56:55 PM
Preverving history is one thing, but this is not preserving history. Want to wear old gear? Join a reenactment group. Otherwise, we as an organization preserve our history every time we wear our uniforms correctly. There is a difference between preserving history and dwelling on the past. We've been doing the latter for far too long.

Failing to pause from time to time to take stock of your history is a sure way to eliminate it from memory.  Our history is what garners us most of our appropriation.  Without it, why on earth does Congress fund us?  There are dozens of other organizations that can do everything that we do that they could fund.  It's our history, and our ability to tell that story, that keeps us funded.

So, no, I certainly don't begrudge our Historians the pittance that they receive.

THRAWN

Quote from: JeffDG on November 17, 2015, 07:51:30 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on November 17, 2015, 03:56:55 PM
Preverving history is one thing, but this is not preserving history. Want to wear old gear? Join a reenactment group. Otherwise, we as an organization preserve our history every time we wear our uniforms correctly. There is a difference between preserving history and dwelling on the past. We've been doing the latter for far too long.

Failing to pause from time to time to take stock of your history is a sure way to eliminate it from memory.  Our history is what garners us most of our appropriation.  Without it, why on earth does Congress fund us?  There are dozens of other organizations that can do everything that we do that they could fund.  It's our history, and our ability to tell that story, that keeps us funded.

So, no, I certainly don't begrudge our Historians the pittance that they receive.

Not even close to what I wrote. Yay, we won WW2, but Eddie, what have you done for me lately?....and what did we do in the subsequent 70 years? If the constant drum banging about recognizing WW2 vets with a CGM and the "attention grabbing" wear of WW2 wings is any indicator, not a whole lot. For some reason the organization is stuck on one part of our history. Dwelling on one period is just sad. Reminds me of the high school jock who is living too much in '82....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Capt Thompson

Again, a good history program doesn't dwell on one era, it tells the whole story.....but in a milestone year, we're going to go back and tell the story from the start....it's our beginnings that shaped who we would become, and as others have said, our beginnings are what allowed us to keep going when other CD organizations are no longer around. We had humble beginnings, but then adapted to the Country's needs as situations changed over the years, and we will continue to do so. That's something definitely worth celebrating.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

kwe1009

Quote from: SkywalkerRA on November 17, 2015, 07:49:09 PM
Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on November 17, 2015, 06:40:35 PM

I completely agree...the concept of "story" is huge in recruiting, marketing, branding and in connection. I have an organizational development business and I stress this all the time with my clients that you have to tell the story and connect the dots of the story so that people have a picture of what they're a part of, and what their role is (or could be) in the bigger story.

As a PAO I am always looking for the story to tell about our squadron and CAP, and with the anniversary and the insignia, I now have another angle to tell our story to the public.

I know it may sound way too "touchy-feely" for many, but we're wired for connection and this historic insignia program is one way people (who choose to) can connect with the past. And for those that think it's not a great idea, take a pass on it and nothing changes. And if we disagree, we disagree. We're all on the same team-some may just have different wings for a year.

You are absolutely correct.  A decade or so ago the Air Force started renaming units to bring back some of the history and help to bring about a sense of belonging.  It was kind of strange for some squadrons however.  I was in an intel squadron that was renumbered to take on the history of a WWII pursuit squadron.  I'm not how a P-38 squadron and a unit of photo analysts are related but the Air Force said they were.  This was a great expense since we were still wearing BDUs, squadron patches, and squadron hats.  Not to mention the cost of replacing signs and banners.  While I am all for preserving history, I this this move was pretty wasteful. 

Now, looking just at CAP's efforts to promote their history in a milestone year, I don't think a lot of money is being spent and it will certainly help with recruiting and maybe even retention.  To simply say that it won't because it doesn't do anything for you is very short sighted.  We are all different and different things motivate up.  If you don't think history matters when it comes to recruiting then just look at sports teams that were last great over 20 years ago but they still keep filling the seats on game day. 

History and tradition are major drivers and should not be discounted.  I have only been in CAP for just over 3 years.  I would have joined sooner but I didn't even know it existed until about 10 years ago and I have been in the Air Force for almost 30 years.

FW

Quote from: THRAWN on November 17, 2015, 08:08:28 PM
Yay, we won WW2, but Eddie, what have you done for me lately?....and what did we do in the subsequent 70 years? If the constant drum banging about recognizing WW2 vets with a CGM and the "attention grabbing" wear of WW2 wings is any indicator, not a whole lot. For some reason the organization is stuck on one part of our history. Dwelling on one period is just sad. Reminds me of the high school jock who is living too much in '82....

We have a rich history going back the last 74 years.  If CAP wishes to authorize the wear of "retro wings" for the year; great.  IMHO, it does not retract from our long and honored service of protecting the homeland, SAR/DR, and many other accomplishments of our members and our organization. 

THRAWN

Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on November 17, 2015, 08:17:11 PM
Again, a good history program doesn't dwell on one era, it tells the whole story.....but in a milestone year, we're going to go back and tell the story from the start....it's our beginnings that shaped who we would become, and as others have said, our beginnings are what allowed us to keep going when other CD organizations are no longer around. We had humble beginnings, but then adapted to the Country's needs as situations changed over the years, and we will continue to do so. That's something definitely worth celebrating.

And we're going to tell the story from the start...again...the problem is, that's the only story that's told. The point is, the WW2 experience is being celebrated to the point that recognizing it again is making it meaningless.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

THRAWN

Quote from: FW on November 17, 2015, 08:23:39 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on November 17, 2015, 08:08:28 PM
Yay, we won WW2, but Eddie, what have you done for me lately?....and what did we do in the subsequent 70 years? If the constant drum banging about recognizing WW2 vets with a CGM and the "attention grabbing" wear of WW2 wings is any indicator, not a whole lot. For some reason the organization is stuck on one part of our history. Dwelling on one period is just sad. Reminds me of the high school jock who is living too much in '82....

We have a rich history going back the last 74 years.  If CAP wishes to authorize the wear of "retro wings" for the year; great.  IMHO, it does not retract from our long and honored service of protecting the homeland, SAR/DR, and many other accomplishments of our members and our organization.

Nor does it recognize the accomplishments of that service. It once again says "Look! We were in WW2!" Doesn't mention anything about the CD service during the Cold War, doesn't touch on the multiple DR operations, says nothing about the CN missions...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

lordmonar

I'm sure the Historian folks are just ready to help you implement your ideas on how to high light those cold war contributions and Disaster Relief contributions.

Oh...wait....you don't have have any contributions....you only have negative criticism. 

Typical CAPTALK.

:)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

THRAWN

Quote from: lordmonar on November 17, 2015, 08:45:31 PM
I'm sure the Historian folks are just ready to help you implement your ideas on how to high light those cold war contributions and Disaster Relief contributions.

Oh...wait....you don't have have any contributions....you only have negative criticism. 

Typical CAPTALK.

:)

And, of course, you miss the point. The "Historian folks" are the ones that should be looking at the entirety of the organization's history, not recelebrating the war. If this is supposed to be a genuine effort to highlight 75 years of contributions to the nation, it should encompass all of the history. These are in no particular order and as completely thought out as the "wings" concept:

*bring back crush caps
*bring back the berry boards
*add the CD patch to the utility uniforms (this way, everybody can participate in the celebration, not just the aviators)
*make a national competition where each region puts a satellite into space
*revive the CD ribbon
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

lordmonar

Yeah...yeah....yeah.....Like I said once again it is CAPTALK telling someone else "what they should be doing".

It is this simple.

The history folks in their own little meeting say "wouldn't it be cool if we....." they sold the idea to the boss and got it approved.

Totally optional, not very expensive, not really all that bad looking, and does accomplish it's intended goal...of high lighting CAP's 75 years of of existence.

Done.

No harm no foul.

NOPE......not good enough!  CAPTALK has got be the naysayers of the CAP and complain.

This pattern is repeated time and again here on CAPTALK.

Okay...I throw down the gauntlet!   If you can do better.......then volunteer for the position and take a shot at it!  Otherwise.....just ignore it.  Which by the way is what I'm gonna do.

Thank you for playing.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SkywalkerRA

I have a solution to this debate...

If you like the wings (and qualify to wear them) rock them proudly-and tell the story of why you're wearing them, what it meant yesterday and how it translates to today and tomorrow. And be kind to the people who choose not to wear them.

If you think the wings are the worst thing ever, don't wear them and just speak of CAP's story today and tomorrow. And be kind to the people who wear them.

I will say that I do believe that CAP could do a better job clearly communicating our relevance today-because we don't want to be stuck in the past...and I do think it's worth discussing how we can all do that more effectively-on another thread of course.

JC004