Main Menu

Class A Question

Started by CAPDCCMOM, November 10, 2015, 08:18:00 PM

CAPDCCMOM

At the risk of opening up a HUGE can of worms, I have a uniform question. To avoid the obvious, yes I have read 39-1, yes I will ask my Unit Commander, and no I am not trying to stir up trouble.

We are getting ready for our Wing Conference and Veteran's Day Observation. The uniform is Class A. One of my Cadets has been named our Cadet of the Month  :clap:. With this award goes the "ego burger with cheese", in the form of a very nice black and gold shoulder cord. My question, Can he wear said "ego burger" with his Class A jacket? It is an NCO jacket, with out epaulets (spelling may be relative).

Thanks for the help  ; :D

arajca

GENERALLY SPEAKING...

Squadron cords are not worn outside squadron activities. For example, my unit has a cadet of the quarter program and uses a burgundy shoulder cord. At some of our community support activities, blues are worn. As a squadron function, they can wear the cord, but when they went to a wing NCO school, they could not.

Storm Chaser

According to CAPM 39-1, cadets can only wear shoulder cords with Class A or B service uniforms if authorized by CAPM 39-1 or by their wing commander within their respective wing. If this shoulder cord has been approved by the wing commander, then yes, the cadet can wear it. If it has not, then the cadet can't wear, not even at the squadron. Unit commanders have no authority to authorize unit shoulder cords.

Abby.L

If I read the question correctly, you're more concerned about the fit of the epaulette with the cord, correct? Though there is no guidance in 39-1, in general, I would say yes, he may wear it with the NCO style jacket. He will just need to safety pin it up top, plain as can be. That, or as an individual or squadron, you could issue a matching shoulder cord that is the "Non-epaulette" style, for use by anyone who may have an NCO style jacket. These cost pretty much the same as normal cords, though are relatively more difficult to find if you're only searching ScamGuard.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013