How does one request the creation of a no fly zone?

Started by Holding Pattern, October 29, 2015, 10:30:49 PM

Holding Pattern

So, hypothetically, let's say I wanted to fire a 100W laser in the sky, and I wanted to make sure I didn't blind some pilot while I did so. Is there a method of notifying the FAA in advance of such an activity to let pilots know to avoid an airspace?

I obviously expect the answer to be more complicated than "Go to this webpage" and that there are places where such a project just isn't feasible due to flight paths and airport locations, but I'm not sure where to start looking. I've heard of TFRs and NOTAMs, but not how they are requested or approved.

Anthony@CAP

There is actually a specific form for this. You would need to file FAA Form 7140-1 - Notice of Proposed Outdoor Laser Operation(s) and Configuration Worksheet with your FAA regional office. You can find additional guidance in FAA Advisory Circular 70-1 - Outdoor Laser Operations. I've never filed one so I'm obviously not sure what happens after you file the form.

You can find the information on the bottom of the FAA's laser hazards page: https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/lasers/hazards/

A current list of the regional office contact information can be found here: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/arp/regional_offices/

If you're talking more generally about just how to get a TFR the answer is much more complicated, as the process differs based on your status (government, organization, individual, etc...) and reason.

Holding Pattern

looks like that circular is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

JC004

Wait wait wait.  We have a member here who is clearly planning on using a laser weapon to destroy the moon or the earth or something... 

THRAWN

Slow down there, Governor Tarkin...why are you shooting lasers into the sky?

Best bet is to contact the RO. They have SMEs available for that type of thing.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

TheSkyHornet

And chances are the FAA wouldn't approve such a request just for kicks. They'd expect a pretty in-depth reason behind all this. "To demonstrate the power of..."..."DENIED!"

Garibaldi

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on October 30, 2015, 07:27:40 PM
And chances are the FAA wouldn't approve such a request just for kicks. They'd expect a pretty in-depth reason behind all this. "To demonstrate the power of..."..."DENIED!"

After they finish wiping their keyboards and screens off from the coffee they spit take.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

JeffDG

What if they're attached to sharks?

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: JeffDG on October 31, 2015, 08:24:47 PM

What if they're attached to sharks?

We can't do that because of the EPA/PETA. We only have sea bass...

Live2Learn

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on October 29, 2015, 10:30:49 PM
So, hypothetically, let's say I wanted to fire a 100W laser in the sky, and I wanted to make sure I didn't blind some pilot while I did so. Is there a method of notifying the FAA in advance of such an activity to let pilots know to avoid an airspace?

I obviously expect the answer to be more complicated than "Go to this webpage" and that there are places where such a project just isn't feasible due to flight paths and airport locations, but I'm not sure where to start looking. I've heard of TFRs and NOTAMs, but not how they are requested or approved.

Talk with your local FSDO.  Center can issue a NOTAM for a flight restriction for hazardous activities, though not generally for the joyful experience of just a single individual.  If there is a group activity (for example, a group will launch hobby rockets) that has some aspect of education you have a reasonable chance for approval.  Expect some conditions, and expect to provide exact dates, times, organization names, contact info, etc.  It's pretty common for organized model rocketry events to get a Temporary Flight Restriction NOTAM established under 14CFR91.137.  I've seen some that were darn near into the flight levels (18,000' MSL).