Ground Team Equipment?

Started by Bryce7454, October 07, 2015, 11:41:48 PM

Bryce7454

Hi, I have just purchased some new ground team equipment including "Y" strap suspenders. My question is are we allowed to strap extra belt pouches and are there specific ways to place such pouches? Also are we allowed to tri-fold shovels or bags with frames on them?

almostspaatz

Unless your wing or squadron has specific standards, the restrictions for how you carry your equipment are extremely loose. It is recommended (not required) that you not have much strapped and hanging off of your pack (as it could snag easily if your were in brush or a forest).

How you choose to carry your gear may be different than others even within your GT, you decide what works best for you with input from an experienced GTM or GTL. However, i know certain squadrons and sometimes wings will have specific restrictions to try to keep everyone looking semi-uniform.

Start by talking to your local GTL or experienced GTM.
C/Maj Steve Garrett

Bryce7454

Quote from: almostspaatz on October 08, 2015, 02:09:09 AM
Unless your wing or squadron has specific standards, the restrictions for how you carry your equipment are extremely loose. It is recommended (not required) that you not have much strapped and hanging off of your pack (as it could snag easily if your were in brush or a forest).

How you choose to carry your gear may be different than others even within your GT, you decide what works best for you with input from an experienced GTM or GTL. However, i know certain squadrons and sometimes wings will have specific restrictions to try to keep everyone looking semi-uniform.

Start by talking to your local GTL or experienced GTM.
Ok, thanks.

Capt Thompson

Also for GTM3 there's no reason for anything heavy like a tri-fold shovel, just stick with the required gear. If you end up going for GTM2, buddy up with someone and split the equipment. No reason for both of you to have a tri-fold, when only 1 latrine is to be dug. I carried one for years, and only used it once before deleting it from my gear. Now I have a small foldable backpacking trowel that weighs about nothing, and still is rarely used.

Don't get lots of cool looking tactical gear that you'll never use, just to look cool. You only have one back and one set of knees, and you'll want to be able to use them both for many years to come.

Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

arajca

When you're looking for a pack, get one that's wide and covers across your back and is fairly thin rather than one the stocks out a foot or more from your back. I started with a nice 'tactical' pack that stuck out about a foot. Even trying to load the heavy stuff closer to my back, it threw me off balance. I changed to a backpack that had the same capacity, but was about half as thick, that made it easier to carry.

Panzerbjorn

My squadron and Wing have been very fortunate in procuring a supply of assault packs and rucks from the USMC.  The assault pack is very comfortable and fits absolutely everything you need for a 24-hour kit and beyond.

Here's what the assault packs look like:

You can private purchase them from various surplus stores and online sources if you don't have the ability to get them through CAP.  As you can see, there's plenty of room to put additional MOLLE pouches on the outside if you need them.

Entrenching tool?  Not completely necessary for a GTM3 loadout, but they do have their uses.  I don't know if you're a senior member or cadet, but if you're a senior member, you'd probably find carrying a machete to be much more useful than carrying a folding e-tool.

As time and experience accumulates, you'll start to have a better idea of what items are must haves in your kit, modular items that you'll carry as mission needs dictate, and what items are just plain things you can leave at home.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

winterg

A complete 24 hour pack fits comfortably in this type pack.  It is what I carry and what I recommend to the members of my squadron.

http://www.amazon.com/Military-Rucksacks-Tactical-Backpack-Trekking/dp/B00OXK4C2U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1444572312&sr=8-4&keywords=molle+backpack

RRLE

I waited for the 35% off sale (ended last week) and bought a Maxpedition Falcon II in Orange/Foliage for just over $100.

My first aid kit will be built in a FR-1 Medical Pouch in Fire-EMS Red. I will attach it with Vanquest Quick Detach Molle Sticks to the Falcon II. 

winterg

Quote from: RRLE on October 11, 2015, 09:57:20 PM
I waited for the 35% off sale (ended last week) and bought a Maxpedition Falcon II in Orange/Foliage for just over $100.
My first aid kit will be built in a FR-1 Medical Pouch in Fire-EMS Red. I will attach it with Vanquest Quick Detach Molle Sticks to the Falcon II.

I know Maxpedition makes quality gear.  But I am curious what advantage the $180 Maxpedition pack has over the same 1400 cu.in pack for $20.  I like that you can get it in orange, but outside of that, I don't see the bonus.  For $180 a new member can almost complete their 24 hour kit. I know you paid just over $100 for it, I am going of the retail price.  Either way, pretty pricey in my opinion for a small pack.

RRLE

Quote from: winterg on October 11, 2015, 11:15:07 PM
I know Maxpedition makes quality gear.  But I am curious what advantage the $180 Maxpedition pack has over the same 1400 cu.in pack for $20.

Do you really think you are getting a piece of gear that could last a lifetime for $20? There is the old saying: "You get what you pay for."

In my earlier misspent youth, I bought a lot of inexpensive gear and then bought it again and again and again. Some of that was caused by just lack of funds to get better gear to start with and I needed something at the moment. Now I am happily am in a place where I can buy top quality gear (even at a discount) and will probably never have to buy that same piece of gear again.

I have pretty much replaced all my old, inexpensive (and falling apart) back packs, sling packs, waist packs, brief cases and various pouches with Maxpedition gear. The only none Maxpedition gear I still have is my old and still functioning ALICE gear (framed backpack and suspenders/waist belt) and an Uncle Mike's belt holster. Just about all of that was bought during sales and BOGO events.

Panzerbjorn

Quote from: winterg on October 11, 2015, 11:15:07 PM
Quote from: RRLE on October 11, 2015, 09:57:20 PM

I know Maxpedition makes quality gear.  But I am curious what advantage the $180 Maxpedition pack has over the same 1400 cu.in pack for $20.  I like that you can get it in orange, but outside of that, I don't see the bonus.  For $180 a new member can almost complete their 24 hour kit. I know you paid just over $100 for it, I am going of the retail price.  Either way, pretty pricey in my opinion for a small pack.

Honestly, you get what you pay for.  Those $20 are typically Chinese knock-offs that fall apart on you within a month or two.  Boots and packs are the two areas that you really don't want to skimp on.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

winterg

I get the whole quantity vs. quality thing.  But I have beat up this $20 bag for over 4 years now, using it for work and CAP.  And it has held up great.  For the regular use that most CAP personnel will put their ES gear through with the odd weekend SAREX or UDF mission the lower end bags are going to work just fine.  Would it be nice if we could all have Maxpedition packs for our kits? Hell yes.  But it isn't practical for the majority of members, especially new ones, when CAP has it's hand out so much for newer members already.

I'd just be happy if CAP decided on a standard style/color guidelines for the 24 hour packs so we could comply with the task O-0001 1.a.1 to present a professional uniform experience.