cadet line staff positions age/maturity vs rank/time in program

Started by parent2015, October 07, 2015, 02:44:35 PM

parent2015

Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping to understand how staff promotions normally work in your squadrons. Does age and maturity usually take precedence over time in the program and rank? Specifically, I am speaking about Flight Commander and higher line staff positions. For example, would it be normal and acceptable to choose a more mature/older cadet sgt say age 16 or 17, over a younger/ less mature cadet officer say 14 or 15? Or to take it a step further, an older cadet Sr Airman over a younger officer?

Let's assume that both attend meetings regularly and have no previous Flight Commander experience. Let's also assume that the officer cadet will have had more time in the program than the older nco/airman cadet. Lastly, let's assume that both cadets are normal, well adjusted teens.

I can see both sides. An older cadet is generally going to be more mature (two years in age can make a big difference in independence and poise). Also, it is generally easier to lead younger cadets when you are older than they are. I know from personal experience that it can be more challenging to lead people having more life experience than you.

On the other side of the coin, having more time in the program and more cap specific experience lends itself to a better understanding of the CAP policies, procedures, and conventions. It also serves as incentive to continue promoting. Where is the incentive for continually putting in the effort to promote if the staff positions are awarded largely based on age?

Please pardon my ignorance if there are guidelines in place for these scenarios. I've done some searching but wasn't able to locate anything this specific. As you can guess I am a parent of a cadet mentioned in one of the scenarios above and want to view the situation with the proper perspective.

Thank you in advance for your insight and guidance.

abdsp51

There are alot of threads o  this topic.  Ultimately it's upto the CC what he/she wants to do.

kwe1009

Definitely it is up to the squadron CC but if they are doing their job properly, that 14 year old cadet officer should be mature enough to handle the position.  If they aren't then the squadron CC should have never approved that promotion.

Promotions are not just about passing tests and waiting on the clock.  It is about taking on additional responsibilities and succeeding.  While an older but lower ranking cadet may be more mature and more capable of a certain leadership position, the younger, higher ranking, cadet should be able to do the job.

If you have younger, high ranking, cadets that can't do the jobs equal to their rank then there is likely a failure of Senior leadership and very possibly a lack of good mentoring and feedback to the cadet.  I understand that sometimes a cadet will be promoted and then doesn't live up to expectations, but those should not be common if proper feedback and mentoring are occurring.

Spam

abdsp51 is right, the unit commander has the dot to make the call per 20-1. Sadly, so many well meaning commanders, especially those inheriting small units and those without cadet program backgrounds, make the assignment based on personality and age rather than on the cadet demonstrating mastery of the principles of the program, as measured by progress through the ranks to cadet officer.

The cadet programs officer handbook is recommended to support decisions like this, coupled with the TLC class case studies and guided discussions on how to select and structure unit cadet staffs.

See:

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P216_A3EECB272DFF7.pdf

http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/

http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/tlc_course/index.cfm

In my command, my staff and I loosely track the progress of age cohorts (this years crop of freshmen, sophomores, etc) to monitor which cadet officers in our unit will be "timing out" (i.e. graduating and heading off to college/enlistment/whatever) at the same time. This becomes data in our twice-annual sit down to screen for a cadet deputy commander, who then understudies the current C/CC for six months to learn by OJT and to be ready to step in smoothly for their own six month term. 

On occasion, we've had to ask a hard charging 11th grader C/CPT to wait a year to allow a C/1LT 12th grader to get a shot in the job, but when the selection process is conducted in an open, participative leadership style, I've found that cadets are smart enough to appreciate that our job as commanders and CP officers is to balance the benefit to the unit with the opportunity for individuals.

Under no circumstances though would I ever seat an enlisted rank cadet as Cadet Commander regardless of age, unless they were in the process of taking their Mitchell and on the verge of entering into being a cadet officer - and even then he/she would have to be an outstanding candidate indeed.

V/R
Spam

lordmonar

Parent2015,

From you post I suspect that you are the parent of a cadet who got passed over for a leadership position by a lower ranking cadet.

The person to talk to.....and the only one who has any bearing in this conversation.....is the unit commander and/or the Deputy Commander for Cadets.

Talk to them.

If you don't like their answers.....talk to their commander (group or wing).
If you don't like their answers.....take it right up the chain.

Don't ask CAPTALK....as you will get 2000 different contradictory answers from 2000 different Cadet Program Officers.....and to make things worse....they will all be "the right answers".....that is they will be within the regs, they will be well meaning and work to some extent or another.   But what I do at my squadron may not be what Joe Blow does at his.  Neither one is wrong....just different.

And not of that helps you in what I think is really a quest to fix a perceived injustice at your local squadron.

Please....make an appointment with your squadron commander and deputy commander for cadets and have a talk with him.  Find out why you cadet was passed over.   And if you are still upset....take it up the chain of command.

Thanks
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP