Main Menu

Most popular NCSAs

Started by Pulsar, April 21, 2015, 04:58:42 PM

What are your favorite National Cadet Special Activitys?

Civic Leadership Academy
Emergency Services Academy
Powered Flight Academy
Glider Flight Academy
Aircraft Manufacturing & Maintenance Academy
Cyberspace Familiarization Course
Special Undergraduate Pilot Training -FC
PJOC
Advanced - PJOC
Space Command Familiarization Course
Model Aircraft & Remote Control Flight Academy
MKS Business Academy
Hawk Mountain Search And Rescue School
Blue Beret
Advanced Technologies Academy
Cadet Officer School
Civil Engineering Fam Course
Engineering Academy
E-Tech (Robotics)
UAS Flight Academy
Honor Guard Academy

Pulsar

...of the ones you've attended
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Offutteer

You missed IACE and NCLS.  Also, UAS and E-Tech Robotics are new, so no one has attended.

jeders

I know you're asking what our favorite is, but I can tell you hands down that NBB is the most popular. This year they received over 900 applicants for fewer than 200 slots. That's more than all the powered flight academies combined.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

A.Member

Many NCSAs receive far more applicants than slots available.  Some also have additional prerequistes that may limit applicants.  In addition, most also have significantly fewer positions available making the selection process/acceptance significantly more competitive.

Each NCSA is unique in what it brings to the table and what makes one particular appealing ("good") for one cadet, may not be as appealing to another based on the cadet's interest.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

MIKE

Quote from: jeders on April 21, 2015, 07:51:13 PM
I know you're asking what our favorite is, but I can tell you hands down that NBB is the most popular. This year they received over 900 applicants for fewer than 200 slots. That's more than all the powered flight academies combined.

I'd bet most of that is the beanie.  Get rid of the beret and change the name to something more descriptive of the actual activity, and attendance will fall sharply.
Mike Johnston

LSThiker

Quote from: MIKE on April 21, 2015, 09:04:37 PM
Quote from: jeders on April 21, 2015, 07:51:13 PM

I'd bet most of that is the beanie.  Get rid of the rid of the beret and change the name to something more descriptive of the actual activity, and attendance will fall sharply.

Aside from eliminating the beret, but I think the name and the patch need to be redesigned.  Either the patch designed for the EAA-Oshkosh rename or a patch with the St Alban's cross would be better designs than the 8-ball.  Change the name as well.  We do not call the SF school as the American Green Beret School or Airborne school as the American maroon beret, or Ranger school the American tan beret.  And yes, I know the history of the patches, but I think it is time for the "cheesy" looking patches to be updated to something a bit more professional looking.  JMO.

Tim Medeiros

Sadly, I didn't see the COS option when I was reading through the options.  I had a good amount of fun there, it rivaled my times at AFWAFC, however my favorite (hands down) was HGA.  I wouldn't have gone to it for 6 years if it wasn't fun, nor would I still be in touch with the director at the time.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

isuhawkeye

changes were made to eliminate the beret and change the insignia in the 90's.  That program lasted for a few years then the old heraldry was brought back. 

Here is the insignia from that time. 

LSThiker

Quote from: isuhawkeye on April 22, 2015, 01:15:20 PM
changes were made to eliminate the beret and change the insignia in the 90's.  That program lasted for a few years then the old heraldry was brought back. 

Here is the insignia from that time. 

I think that is a decent looking patch, which would have made had they not eliminated the beret.  That and it did not help they required all cadets to wear the smurf suits. 

Also a patch more like this one would be better than the 8-ball patch.
http://www.blueberet.org/NCRSSC-Patch.jpg

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on April 22, 2015, 12:47:53 PM
Sadly, I didn't see the COS option when I was reading through the options.  I had a good amount of fun there, it rivaled my times at AFWAFC, however my favorite (hands down) was HGA.  I wouldn't have gone to it for 6 years if it wasn't fun, nor would I still be in touch with the director at the time.

Plus 1 on HGA. Despite some BS drama, one of my favorite CAP memories.

Гугл переводчик

I'd vote for NCLS, as its the only NCSA I've attended  ;D
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

Eaker Guy

HGA hands down! Hated the pain, but it was worth it.

PHall

Quote from: C/Maj Kiss on May 15, 2015, 12:48:04 PM
HGA hands down! Hated the pain, but it was worth it.

Ah, this explains much about you.

Eaker Guy

PHall,

I guess it does :) My squadron is big into honor guard, and the year I attended HGA, all but one cadet staff member came from my squadron. Kind of like pain all year long when training for honor guard :) On the other hand, they gave me a great honor guard education, and I try to pass on what I've learned, now that HGA has been discontinued.

MSG Mac

Why isn't IACE on the list??
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: MSG Mac on May 17, 2015, 12:28:30 AM
Why isn't IACE on the list??

I'm guessing the age and minimum grade requirements (17, cadet captain), along with the expense of applying (around $1000) can be a deterrent for many cadets.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040