Custom-embroidered polo shirt?

Started by foo, January 06, 2015, 08:58:08 PM

JC004

If someone wanted to get a shirt done elsewhere in my unit, I'd tell them the style must match the Vanguard style, for the purpose of uniformity (it is, after all, a uniform - at least in theory).  So I'd say the pocket is required for a male.  I'd also argue that the intent of the manual is to have a uniform shirt (embroidery issues aside - that's something CAP SPECs will hopefully fix), so it should match as the intent of the uniform regulations.

I'd suggest borrowing a shirt from a member and taking that to them, and also providing a CAP seal graphic (electronic) in case it would help them. 

wuzafuzz

The flimsy pockets on the Vanguard sourced polo shirts are nearly useless, IMHO.  I'd prefer a shirt with a sturdier pocket or none at all.  One of these with custom embroidery or screen printing would be slick:
http://www.511tactical.com/performance-short-sleeve-polo.html

Those are also available with long sleeves. 

I wouldn't lose much sleep over the pocket vs no-pocket shirts.  In fact the female embroidered polo already ships without pockets. The reg is vague in that it says the female version lacks a pocket but never actually says the male version must include a pocket.   As a unit commander I wouldn't give anyone grief if they showed up in an embroidered polo without pockets. 

The reg for the screen printed version is even more permissive.  There is NO mention of pockets on that one.
5.2.2.1.2. A dark blue knit shirt (long/short sleeves) with the CAP seal
screen‐printed in white lettering on the left breast.
5.2.2.3.2. Dark blue knit shirt with CAP seal screen-printed. No accoutrements
are authorized.
No option for other bling on that shirt.  I prefer the minimalist approach anyway.   ;D
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

JC004

I would venture to guess they did not anticipate a need for giving members specifications to get their own shirts, or they would have done something like the embroidery standard for the lightweight blue jacket. 

I tell people the basic underlying rule is that you can't modify the general appearance of the uniform.  The Design Your Own Uniform Kit is only for general officers.  No matter how much I hate the STUPID PLASTIC *shakes fist* oak leaves for my flight suit, I can't change the general appearance by using Velcro, going with a Navy style, or using real metal insignia.  I can't even just attach them with magnets....(or can I?  wait a minute here...)

bflynn

I'll just add a note - if you're ordering a shirt, I highly recommend putting your name on it.  It's like a permanent name tag, especially as people come and go.

Brian

LSThiker

Well I ultimately ordered the CAP Polo with Historian Badge on it.  Needless to say, I think I will be contacting Vanguard to send it back and just get the Duty Title "Historian" put on.  The picture makes it look a lot better.  The badge sits about 2 inches above my name.  It is the correct size.  That is, it is not overly gaudy like the CP badge. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Майор Хаткевич

Because I had a cadet "goodies" order to place, another SM asked me to get him a Polo, and somewhat got me to agree to get one as well. We both went with just our names, no badges/titles.

kwe1009

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 13, 2015, 03:09:51 PM
Because I had a cadet "goodies" order to place, another SM asked me to get him a Polo, and somewhat got me to agree to get one as well. We both went with just our names, no badges/titles.

That is the way to go.  Just your name. It is too hard to get any badge to look good embroidered.

watnny

I'm ordering one off of e-bay, short sleeve for $18.00, $7 to add your name and specialty badge or wings, and $7-8 for shipping. STILL cheaper than Vanguard. It's a Hanes polo 50/50 - I'll let everyone know how it is when I get it.

Mike

Eclipse

Wow - I completely forgot about those.  I may grab one myself.

There's also a number of vendors doing nametapes, it never occurred to my until this moment to look there for those.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

I just checked and they only have 2XL, 3XL and 4XL available.

watnny

Which is OK because I'm a 2X! They also have long sleeve polos if you're interested. NO 2X in them though  :-(

Майор Хаткевич

Got my VG polo. Nice quality, nice embroidery.

Storm Chaser

The main issue I have with the VG polos (besides the price) is that the seal doesn't conform with CAP standards. I've never had an issue with the embroidery quality itself. The specialty track badges tend to be embroidered too big, as has been stated before. The quality of the shirts is alright, although they tend to fade overtime.

LTCinSWR

Agreed on the sizing. I got a polo with the IC1 badge; it is bigger than the full size metal insignia! The polo I have with Master Observer wings is closer to the proper proportions.
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
Homeland Security Officer
NM Wing Headquarters

PHall

I've avoided the "problem" by just having my name on the shirt.
Costs less and IMHO looks a lot better too.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: PHall on January 19, 2015, 12:30:55 AM

This shouldn't be a "problem" we need to "avoid".

PHall

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 19, 2015, 12:44:56 AM

It's called dealing with the conditions you're dealt.

JeffDG

Quote from: PHall on January 19, 2015, 02:24:11 AM

Semper Gumby

LSThiker

Costs less and IMHO looks a lot better too.

I have avoided the problem by returning it at Vanguard's expense.  If people do not like the quality, then return them. Vanguard looses money on the deal.

PHall

Quote from: JeffDG on January 19, 2015, 01:37:33 PM
Quote from: PHall on January 19, 2015, 02:24:11 AM

Semper Gumby

Rigid Flexibility