Main Menu

BDU Sleeves Up

Started by airdog, December 11, 2014, 03:51:37 AM

airdog

I'm a new SM and am baffled at how to roll the sleeves on my BDU shirt to achieve the proper "Sleeves Up" appearance with the cuff outside the roll.  Is there a video someplace, or instructions, on how to do this?  THANKS!

PHall

C/Awesomenesss

You can look on youtube. Look up "CAP BDU sleeve roll up". Thats how I learned.

a2capt

Flatten the sleeve along the seam, and pull it back over itself to where the cuff is about an inch from the seam where it's attached at, at the lower end.

Flatten everything out again, pulling it all square.

Repeat, except this time stop at the base of the inverted cuff.

Now you'll have about 2 folds if you visually divide the width of the cuff among the remaining length.

Fold one "width", then the other, and fold the cuff back over it.

Essentially you're pulling it up over itself twice and then splitting the difference in thirds to finish it off.

Huey Driver

Quote from: a2capt on December 11, 2014, 04:36:46 AM
Flatten the sleeve along the seam, and pull it back over itself to where the cuff is about an inch from the seam where it's attached at, at the lower end.

Flatten everything out again, pulling it all square.

Repeat, except this time stop at the base of the inverted cuff.

Now you'll have about 2 folds if you visually divide the width of the cuff among the remaining length.

Fold one "width", then the other, and fold the cuff back over it.

Essentially you're pulling it up over itself twice and then splitting the difference in thirds to finish it off.

Exactly this. When I'm certain that I'll have mine up for the season, I iron the sleeve flat at every step and it looks great. When (if) your area cools down again, it just takes a bit of ironing or pressing to get the creases out. Don't worry about the crease being permanent or becoming discolored; I've done this step for a few years now and there's no visual damage.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

JC004

It should come out about right with those instructions.  Then check to make sure it measures correctly from your arm-bend. 

If your arms are a little long or something, just adjust where the first fold-over falls from the armpit of the shirt, and remember what distance comes out correctly. 

Make sure they aren't drooping over your elbows or something - that looks awful. 

Private Investigator

Quote from: airdog on December 11, 2014, 03:51:37 AM
I'm a new SM and am baffled at how to roll the sleeves on my BDU shirt to achieve the proper "Sleeves Up" appearance with the cuff outside the roll.  Is there a video someplace, or instructions, on how to do this?  THANKS!

Lots of good advice here. The only two things I would add is #1 I do not bother to put my BDU sleeves up any more. #2 welcome to CAP Talk and have fun in CAP.   8)

Майор Хаткевич

CAPAPRN

Or....you could just asked a squared away cadet to show / do it. They really are quite expert at it.
Capt. Carol A Whelan CAP CTWG,
CTWG Asst. Director of Communications
CTWG Director of Admin & Personnel
Commander NER-CT-004
DCS CTWG 2015 Encampment

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: CAPAPRN on December 12, 2014, 02:36:46 AM
Or....you could just asked a squared away cadet to show / do it. They really are quite expert at it.

Not always. As a SM I've had to show many cadets how to do it right.

PHall

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on December 12, 2014, 04:20:47 AM

He did say "squared away"....

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: PHall on December 12, 2014, 04:51:24 AM

They seem hard to find.

PHall

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on December 12, 2014, 05:46:09 AM
Quote from: PHall on December 12, 2014, 04:51:24 AM

They seem hard to find.

I have a number of them in my unit. Do you need to borrow them? >:D

LATORRECA

Hey fellow senior member here is a link for a you tube video.  Good luck.

http://youtu.be/A0rng39rBcU

Be kind with this new guy. Now Question, it's is a rule to put the sleeves down after certain time or temperature or we have to have it up through out the year. Except to go and do a field training of course.

Gunz L

lordmonar

There is no hard and fast rule on when you can roll your sleeves.

A general rule of thumb, for "in garrison" is everybody is the same.  In the field it is what is most comfortable/safest/practical for the conditions.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

GroundHawg

Quote from: lordmonar on December 13, 2014, 08:18:49 AM
There is no hard and fast rule on when you can roll your sleeves.

A general rule of thumb, for "in garrison" is everybody is the same.  In the field it is what is most comfortable/safest/practical for the conditions.

We had a squadron SOP that had sleeves down from Nov-Apr and anytime you were on a GT mission of any type. It also stated that it was all or nothing, everyone had their sleeves up or everyone had their sleeves down. This kept the "tough guys" from wearing their sleeves up all the time, and made everyone uniform.

dwb

I am against hard-and-fast dates for sleeves up/sleeves down because of where I grew up. Nov-Apr sounds good in theory, until you get a snowstorm on Columbus Day (or Mother's Day for that matter). Both of which have happened in upstate NY.

LSThiker

Or you could simply just go sleeves down all year round, even in 100+ heat. Having your sleeves up limits air circulation.

Eclipse

Quote from: LSThiker on December 14, 2014, 07:08:22 PM
Or you could simply just go sleeves down all year round, even in 100+ heat. Having your sleeves up limits air circulation.

Gentlemen, think of the guns!

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: dwb on December 14, 2014, 05:07:23 PM
I am against hard-and-fast dates for sleeves up/sleeves down because of where I grew up. Nov-Apr sounds good in theory, until you get a snowstorm on Columbus Day (or Mother's Day for that matter). Both of which have happened in upstate NY.
+1

I hate it when some guy in an office decides what needs to be done in the field...or just because the calendar says it is Tuesday.

Granted there are times when everybody needs to be the same and by all means GTLs should be keeping their people safe and advising them accordingly.

But written SOP is not necessary IMHO.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP