Where To Buy Service Jacket

Started by Billy009, December 02, 2014, 06:18:26 AM

Billy009

Anyone know where I can purchase a men's service dress jacket and pants? Hopefully less than the astronomical full retail price. I already own class B/C blue uniform but not service jacket. Not sure if the pants are different.

MSG Mac

If you're near an AFB, they usually have a thrift shop where you can get a used uniform for short money. Seeing you're from MAWG there's probably one at both Hanscom and Westover.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

lordmonar

Officer or Enlisted?

You can always try ebay.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Camas

Quote from: Billy-Co-Pilot on December 02, 2014, 06:18:26 AM
Not sure if the pants are different.
Good question. If your trousers are shade 1620 you're OK - if they're 1625 or any of the older shades (1598/1608) you're out of luck. They won't match the current coat and, believe me, one can notice the difference.

Billy009

Quote from: MSG Mac on December 02, 2014, 06:25:39 AM
If you're near an AFB, they usually have a thrift shop where you can get a used uniform for short money. Seeing you're from MAWG there's probably one at both Hanscom and Westover.

Yes, the base does have a thrift shop. I didn't think of that. Good tip. Thank you.

Billy009

Quote from: Camas on December 02, 2014, 06:30:12 AM
Good question. If your trousers are shade 1620 you're OK - if they're 1625 or any of the older shades (1598/1608) you're out of luck. They won't match the current coat and, believe me, one can notice the difference.

I purchased the pants from Vanguard but it does not indicate the shade.

Billy009

Quote from: lordmonar on December 02, 2014, 06:26:16 AM
Officer or Enlisted?

You can always try ebay.

Officer. Not too much on eBay. I looked this evening.

lordmonar

Quote from: Billy009 on December 02, 2014, 06:50:58 AM
Officer or Enlisted?

You can always try ebay.

What size?  I'll check our uniform closet tomorrow.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Billy009 on December 02, 2014, 06:45:44 AM
Quote from: Camas on December 02, 2014, 06:30:12 AM

I purchased the pants from Vanguard but it does not indicate the shade.

Shade 1625 is polyester doubleknit; 1620 is polyester/wool. You can feel the difference between shades as well.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

BFreemanMA

I'm from Westover Composite and our BX is always stocked with service coats, although they are full price. However, you get free tailoring and a garment bag! Woohoo!

Hanscom is quite a bit bigger than Westover, so if you're from Hanscom Composite, or are closer to Hanscom than Westover, I would be very surprised if you couldn't find what you were looking for.
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

JC004

Billy009

Quote from: lordmonar on December 02, 2014, 06:51:52 AM
Quote from: Billy009 on December 02, 2014, 06:50:58 AM
Officer or Enlisted?

You can always try ebay.

What size?  I'll check our uniform closet tomorrow.

40S
Potentially 38S too.

Billy009

Quote from: BFreemanMA on December 02, 2014, 03:31:35 PM
I'm from Westover Composite and our BX is always stocked with service coats, although they are full price. However, you get free tailoring and a garment bag! Woohoo!

Hanscom is quite a bit bigger than Westover, so if you're from Hanscom Composite, or are closer to Hanscom than Westover, I would be very surprised if you couldn't find what you were looking for.

Thank you Brian. I think I'll check out the Hanscom thrift store first and take it from there. If I shop around a bit, I'll probably find what I'm looking for without having to pay just under $200. I wouldn't mind, but seeing that this is a volunteer organization, and considering the money I've already spent on uniforms and gear, I've got to start taking it easy. I wish CAP had funds to supply some uniforms; even used. But I believe they would if they had it.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Billy009 on December 03, 2014, 02:25:10 AM... If I shop around a bit, I'll probably find what I'm looking for without having to pay just under $200. I wouldn't mind, but seeing that this is a volunteer organization, and considering the money I've already spent on uniforms and gear, I've got to start taking it easy. I wish CAP had funds to supply some uniforms; even used. But I believe they would if they had it.

Really that is a Squadron issue. Some Units have a "Supply Closet" of donated items for Cadets as well as Seniors. I got my uniform shoes that way. The first service jacket, enlisted, I got was by swapping an Army uniform to a former Airman, that was going National Guard. Later I got an officers jacket, for free, from a member who was quitting. It was a little big, but then I a better fit from a jacket I got from a Chaplain's widow. Then I got a almost new from a member who decided to go Corporate and give up his USAF uniforms.

The thift shop is a great option. I found a old but in great shape "Ike Jacket". Good luck in your hunt.  8)

MIKE

Quote from: Billy009 on December 03, 2014, 02:25:10 AM
Quote from: BFreemanMA on December 02, 2014, 03:31:35 PM

Thank you Brian. I think I'll check out the Hanscom thrift store first and take it from there. If I shop around a bit, I'll probably find what I'm looking for without having to pay just under $200. I wouldn't mind, but seeing that this is a volunteer organization, and considering the money I've already spent on uniforms and gear, I've got to start taking it easy. I wish CAP had funds to supply some uniforms; even used. But I believe they would if they had it.

If you can find it, definitely try the thrift shop before MCSS at Hanscom.  I've snagged an officers service coat, trousers and an overcoat for cheap from there in the past.  As to your second point, I disagree.  If you are a cadet or senior it is not CAPs responsibility to equip you with a uniform... Further regardless of your status you are not required by CAPM 39-1 to possess service dress.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

You can also call MCSS' at other locations to find stock.

They can and will ship just about anything anywhere, and if you need a custom size, etc., they can get things made.

"That Others May Zoom"