Air Force Dress Blue shirt collar

Started by Full time cadet, October 28, 2014, 04:14:24 AM

Full time cadet

Does anyone know how to not wrinkle the soft cheap collar while wearing a tie? No matter how much I starch it it will always wrinkle.

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Grumpy

Try the spring metal collar stay.  I believe we used to call it a "spiffy".

a2capt

The old school, works pretty darn good, variety, but some people find it "complicated"..

The new fangled, it works pretty good for what it is, and is less hassle between uses.

http://www.vanguardmil.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=59

The CyBorg is destroyed

I'm not encouraging this at all, but it reminds me of what my dad told me about when he was in the Army.

He absolutely hated wearing a tie.  He did not wear one when he was my best man at my wedding and stipulated in his will that he was not to be buried in one.

He told me that when he was in the Army, on the occasions he had to wear a tie (obviously not a clip-on), he fudged a way to keep his top button unbuttoned but to pull his tie just tight enough that it looked like it was buttoned.  He said, "not even the First Sergeant noticed."

I am one of those who is all thumbs when it comes to tying a four-in-hand tie, so I usually just wear a clip-on, but sometimes I wonder if the collar on my uniform shirt wouldn't look better if I wore a properly-tied old-school tie (with my top button buttoned!).
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Full time cadet

Sorry not talking about the whole collar I'm talking about the neck part of the collar because when you wear a tie, theirs an unusual wrinkle around the top neck part of the collar. I'm talking about the dress blues shirt btw.

Full time cadet

If the Air Force made the shirts stiff collar that would be great.

lordmonar

Quote from: C/Tang,ChristopherNY on October 29, 2014, 03:04:09 AM
Sorry not talking about the whole collar I'm talking about the neck part of the collar because when you wear a tie, theirs an unusual wrinkle around the top neck part of the collar. I'm talking about the dress blues shirt btw.
Your shirt is the wrong size.

If the shirt neck size is right....there should not be any weird wrinkles.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Full time cadet

my shirt is not..... I can fit 2 fingers in my neck spacing

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Maybe the tie is too tight.  I can fit two fingers into the spacing with mine and I don't get a wrinkle.  PLus I don't heavily starch my collar either.

vento

^^ What adbsp51 said. Try loosening your tie to the same circumference as the collar. You collar will not be wrinkled and the tie should not be hanging down showing the first button.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Question: What is the general preference of those posting here: old-style or clip-on?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

MSG Mac

Quote from: CyBorg on October 29, 2014, 01:55:08 PM
Question: What is the general preference of those posting here: old-style or clip-on?

Real men use real ties
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

MSG Mac

Old style, clip-ons are irritating
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Garibaldi

How did we learn? Mostly by watching our dads or grandfathers tie theirs. Nowadays, with the proliferation of dressing up as being optional in the workplace and church, dads don't teach this skill. It's a dying art.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

Adults should not wear clip on ties if they want to be taken seriously (police officers and similar safety-related occupations being the exception).

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: MSG Mac on October 29, 2014, 02:06:17 PM

Real men use real ties

Where do I turn in my man card and report for gender reassignment then?

I hear in Texas, real mean also slug men wearing pink.

A Brave World we live in.

AlphaSigOU

Be aware that the short-sleeve blue shirt is a 'convertible' collar - it can be worn with or without a tie.The long-sleeve blue shirt must be worn with a tie.

Uniform shirts are made straight off the rack - unlike the Army and the Navy/Marines, the Air Force is not very big on custom-tailored (or to use the 'veddy British' term, 'bespoke') uniforms.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Shuman 14

Quote from: Eclipse on October 29, 2014, 02:21:18 PM
Adults should not wear clip on ties if they want to be taken seriously (police officers and similar safety-related occupations being the exception).

I was just going to say that. A properly tied full Windsor Knot looks the best... until a perp grabs your tie.  ;)
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present