CAP Color Guard Uniform Issue

Started by AirForceBlue117, August 21, 2014, 01:20:15 AM

lordmonar

I used to get worked up about officers in color guard.....but not any more.

If at all possible....it should be two cadet NCO's and two cadet airman.....but if not....getting the mission done is more important.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on August 26, 2014, 03:54:08 AM
I used to get worked up about officers in color guard.....but not any more.

If at all possible....it should be two cadet NCO's and two cadet airman.....but if not....getting the mission done is more important.

I guess the color guard at the National Board with the three officers on it got you over it? >:D

Angus

Quote from: LSThiker on August 26, 2014, 03:44:42 AM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on August 26, 2014, 03:33:34 AM
why would it possibly be otherwise outside of competition?

Sometimes a squadron is only able to field 3 qualified NCOs and 1 officer for a presentation of the colors due to busy weekday schedules, lack of cadet numbers (recruitment event), or any number of reasons.

To add to that it could also stand to reason that the NCO's coming up behind the officers might not have an interest in Color Guard but maybe AE is their thing.  So they'll learn enough drill to exist within the status quo but won't learn the extra needed for the CG.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

MHC5096

Officers sometimes serve on color guards even on active duty. As mentioned earlier, its about getting the mission accomplished.
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

kwe1009

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on August 26, 2014, 03:33:34 AM
Quote from: kwe1009 on August 23, 2014, 01:12:51 PM

(for instance, there is no regulation against having cadet officers in a Color Guard).

It used to, back in the way back when. In my opinion, it should be there now.

It is US military custom* that care, custody and general responsibility for carrying colors is the responsibility of non-officer personnel. That's why the restriction is in place for color guard competitions, why would it possibly be otherwise outside of competition?

*Yes, I know, we are "not in the military." But we are certainly "of the military" when it comes to ranks, drill and ceremonies, customs, traditions.

Many cadets LOVE doing color guard.  If a cadet gets promoted each time they are eligible then they will be an officer in about 18 months.  If we don't allow officers to be in a color guard then that activity is now taken from them.  In the military it is very different as enlisted stay enlisted for many years (or decades). 

I'm not sure why the restriction is in place for NCC except maybe to keep from having a team made up of diamond wearers.  I have heard many stories of cadets not progressing past chief simply to compete at NCC.  To me that is a bad thing.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: kwe1009 on August 27, 2014, 10:26:07 PM
I have heard many stories of cadets not progressing past chief simply to compete at NCC.  To me that is a bad thing.

Seen it. That was a big part of the "angst" against Drill Team. On top of their incessant belief that at any activity they participate in, they NEED time to work on Drill for the competition.

The same goes for the cadets who don't become officers until they collect every jelly bean from VFW/AFSA.

Fubar

Quote from: kwe1009 on August 27, 2014, 10:26:07 PMI have heard many stories of cadets not progressing past chief simply to compete at NCC.  To me that is a bad thing.

I agree it's a bad thing. Even worse, I've seen senior members encourage it.

Eclipse

The "Chief Experience" ((*sigh*))

"That Others May Zoom"