Main Menu

Packing/PT question

Started by inactive123, July 08, 2014, 11:41:25 PM

inactive123

On the HMRS packing list, PT gear will consists of a shirt, pants, and boots. I find this a bit unusual, and potentially unsafe. I also noticed on the Ranger 3rd Class SQTR, it requires a half mile in 6 minutes, and on the packing list it doesn't list bringing running shoes. Should I bother to bring running shoes?
Thanks.
C/MSgt

MSG Mac

Best to contact the Hawk Mountain staff
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Garibaldi

Quote from: Cadetcookies on July 08, 2014, 11:41:25 PM
On the HMRS packing list, PT gear will consists of a shirt, pants, and boots. I find this a bit unusual, and potentially unsafe. I also noticed on the Ranger 3rd Class SQTR, it requires a half mile in 6 minutes, and on the packing list it doesn't list bringing running shoes. Should I bother to bring running shoes?
Thanks.

Also, look out for one of "my" cadets up there. She will kick. Your. Tail. Just forewarning, she is MEANNNNN...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

THRAWN

Quote from: Cadetcookies on July 08, 2014, 11:41:25 PM
Thanks.

What's unsafe about it?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Heavy Flying Guy

Well, boots do have really good ankle support, and you may be able to put some insoles in them. I've only just been to my basic encampment, so I don't know how Hawk Mountain will be different.
"We...are the CAP! We'll always save the day! And if you think we can't, we'll always find a way!"

inactive123

Article:
http://www.posetech.com/training/archives/000469.html

QuoteOur quest to resolve this problem could potentially help thousands of young recruits to make their service less painful and thus more efficient. Official statistics shows that 30-40% of young people going through camps suffer tremendously from this painful experience, with the major contribution to it coming from running.

Boots are not made for running and do not give you the cushion a running shoe does. Boots will increase the likely hood that you develop shin splints, ankle, and foot problems. I'm not trying to find an excuse out of running in combat boots, as I will do it this week, rather I am just replying to your question on how running in boots can be potentially unsafe. 

I don't think a week can do that much damage, but again, I am just thinking safety!
C/MSgt

THRAWN

Quote from: Cadetcookies on July 10, 2014, 02:10:25 PM
Article:
http://www.posetech.com/training/archives/000469.html

QuoteOur quest to resolve this problem could potentially help thousands of young recruits to make their service less painful and thus more efficient. Official statistics shows that 30-40% of young people going through camps suffer tremendously from this painful experience, with the major contribution to it coming from running.

Boots are not made for running and do not give you the cushion a running shoe does. Boots will increase the likely hood that you develop shin splints, ankle, and foot problems. I'm not trying to find an excuse out of running in combat boots, as I will do it this week, rather I am just replying to your question on how running in boots can be potentially unsafe. 

I don't think a week can do that much damage, but again, I am just thinking safety!

Eh. I've worn boots pretty much every day, doing all kinds of activities, since 1990. I wouldn't put too much stock into the corporate advertisement that you cited. The shin splints, ankle and foot issues come from people who go to boot camp without proper conditioning or technique.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

sarmed1

HMRS-daily confidence course is run as part of daily PT, for that boots are more appropriate.  climb, jump etc etc, the alternative is to have you bring both running shoes and change between the two (and technically most cadets dont have "running shoes" they have "sneakers" which are not always good as "running shoes" either) 
Part of that I think is also "tradition"  they have always done it that way (but thats just speculation on my part)

Internet conversations play out differently from real conversation, I got a different read on the article than what it looked like you were trying to illustrate.  I read from you that pretty much running in boots is bad and you should run in sneakers.  What I took out of the article was that running in boots is not the optimal way to be running but it is the reality of some situations (such as the military) and it is important for the  individual to understand the difference in techniques and execution of running in sneakers vs running in boots. 

In the context of the emergency services community I think this applies; there are ultimately times you may need to move quickly (we'll say "run") and boots (sometimes even steel toed) are the footwear of choice.  In the case of HMRS and boots for PT, I think this is an appropriate "conditioning" concept (or maybe introduction to the concept, it is only 10 days after all)

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

sarmed1

Sorry, to answer the original point of your question, yes bring running shoes, but you most likely be wearing them but spare shoes are always good.

MK

Eclipse

Another issue with boots vs. sneakers for kids is parents buying them bigger so the cadet will "grow into them" because of the cost.

Most of the foot problems we see at encampments are because of improperly sized boots - usually too big, causing blisters, but
also too small because they are trying to squeeze a few more months out of them.

"That Others May Zoom"

sarmed1

And?????? did you feet survive the transition?  Did you have any of the "unsafe" issues cited?

MK