Senior Airman flight sergeant addressed as?

Started by RockRat, July 05, 2014, 02:33:16 AM

RockRat

I was having a discussion with several cadets, and this question came up. If a C/SrA is appointed the staff position of flight sergeant, is he/she addressed as sergeant or simply airman?
STAFF MEMBER

Garibaldi

Quote from: RockRat on July 05, 2014, 02:33:16 AM
I was having a discussion with several cadets, and this question came up. If a C/SrA is appointed the staff position of flight sergeant, is he/she addressed as sergeant or simply airman?

As part of the position, as in "Go report to your flight sergeant to fall in", s/he would be referred to as flight sergeant.

When being addressed individually, the individual's grade of airman is used. "Cadet Cookies requests permission to fall in, Airman."

The only individual that gets referred to by their position is the First Sergeant.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

lordmonar

Sir or Ma'am is always appropriate....otherwise you would use his/her ranks....in this case Airman.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Luis R. Ramos

Since we (as a group, not individually) sometimes go hard on others because of incorrect grammar, or perceived "lack of something," I see we are using "flight sergeant," in lower case. I recently told one of my cadets to use "Flight Sergeant" in upper case as that was a position title.

Or is this something others here (using upper case when typing position titles) do not think that important? What is the norm?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

ALH

I've had the same discussion concerning the First Sergeant time and time again.

It is uncanny - no matter where you go, cadets always do the same thing. If The Shirt says something, they yell back "YES, First SAR-GENT!" in the same exact sing-song. Linguistic anthropologists would have a field day with the cadet program if they had a chance.

Ask the cadets why they do this and the answer always revolves around "That's what I've always heard".

So, I do the same thing. If a flight member asks me something, I respond, "Such-and-such, In Flight Cadet". The senior most cadet? "That sounds good, Cadet Commander". Need something and jumped your chain? "Have you asked your flight sergeant, Flight Sergeant So-and-So?" I start demanding that they call me TAC Officer ALH or Squadron Leadership Officer ALH instead of Captain ALH. 

After a little while, someone catches on.  "Why are you doing that? It sounds silly". Well, cadet, let me show you some documentation, including this neat booklet that talks about Terms of Address. Chew on that a while.

Over the next few weeks, suddenly the correct terms of address start popping up. Magic.

rugger1869

Quote from: lordmonar on July 05, 2014, 02:58:53 AM
Sir or Ma'am is always appropriate....otherwise you would use his/her ranks....in this case Airman.

Wait. What?!

Storm Chaser

Quote from: rugger1869 on July 06, 2014, 01:34:29 AM

Quote from: lordmonar on July 05, 2014, 02:58:53 AM

Wait. What?!

In the Air Force, while sir or ma'am are used primarily when addressing officers, its use is also acceptable when addressing enlisted members, especially NCOs.

ALH

QuoteIn the Air Force, while sir or ma'am are used primarily when addressing officers, its use is also acceptable when addressing enlisted members, especially NCOs.
In a joint environment, where you're sure that the Marine dudes/dudettes can hear you, one can watch their heads spin a little bit as soon as they hear it.