Is the Captain grade really best reserved for leadership & command?

Started by mynetdude, July 02, 2014, 06:29:20 PM

SARDOC

The CAP Professional Development program is designed that, even if you never hold a Command/Leadership role, you can advance by increasing levels of responsibility as a Staff Member. 

There is nothing about PD that says you have to be in a command position.  You do have to be an active participant on the staff at whatever level your chosen Specialty Track specifies.  If this is a Wing/Group/Squadron policy, I'd ask for something in writing like an OI or policy letter...something.  That's the best way the organization can defend against "Arbitrary and Capricious"  Be Firm, Fair and Consistent.

mynetdude

I'll just copy a phrase from an email that pertains to the question on this thread in the morning

Panache

Quote from: mynetdude on July 03, 2014, 05:24:58 AM
Several folks have told me that my wing prefers to reserve Captain for those in leadership and command (and I am seeing that this is the trend in the real military?)
advices.

Not necessarily.  There are plenty of O-3's (Captains, or Lieutenants for you naval types) that are staff officers with no "command", per se in the RealMilitary™.  An example which immediately comes to mind are Medical Doctors and Dentists, both of which start out as O-3's upon commissioning (at least, they did back when I was in the service.)  Another example are pilots, who may be O-3, and have no real "command" other than the aircraft if they're the PIC.

mynetdude

Quote from: Panache on July 03, 2014, 07:24:11 AM
Quote from: mynetdude on July 03, 2014, 05:24:58 AM
Several folks have told me that my wing prefers to reserve Captain for those in leadership and command (and I am seeing that this is the trend in the real military?)
advices.

Not necessarily.  There are plenty of O-3's (Captains, or Lieutenants for you naval types) that are staff officers with no "command", per se in the RealMilitary™.  An example which immediately comes to mind are Medical Doctors and Dentists, both of which start out as O-3's upon commissioning (at least, they did back when I was in the service.)  Another example are pilots, who may be O-3, and have no real "command" other than the aircraft if they're the PIC.

so the above ^^ is very similar to CAP, if you have any of the valuable assets such as an ATP or PPL you would start off as a Captain in CAP but not necessarily any command experience.

mynetdude

So I went through the email again, and my bad... totally "lack of leadership" wasn't the word even used but I guess you could throw that in anyway the words he used were "satisfaction of service" and then he went on that my service was not satisfactory :P bullcrap; I have done a lot for my squadron excluding financial support which doesn't count IMO.

Anyway this is all good info; but the higher ups choose to still reserve captain for leadership & command. And like everybody else said, there isn't a thing I can do while in 000 status so its kinda moot for the time being.

JeffDG

The simple fact is that promotion is a discretionary item, at the discretion of the unit commander, and in the case of Captain, the Group (or if no groups, Wing) commander.

One of the requirements for any promotion is:
Quote(4) Be performing in an exemplary manner meriting promotion to the grade
recommended (CAPR 35-5, 2-1(a))

That requirement gives plenty of latitude for a Group/Wing commander to make discretionary decisions. 

"Satisfactory service" does not meet the requirement.  Exemplary service is the regulatory standard.

mynetdude

Quote from: JeffDG on July 03, 2014, 03:22:51 PM
The simple fact is that promotion is a discretionary item, at the discretion of the unit commander, and in the case of Captain, the Group (or if no groups, Wing) commander.

That requirement gives plenty of latitude for a Group/Wing commander to make discretionary decisions. 

"Satisfactory service" does not meet the requirement.  Exemplary service is the regulatory standard.

Indeed, I agree satisfactory doesn't meet the requirements; my point is yes I know that there is a lot of latitude in what discretion those whom have the authority at the proper echelon to push a few buttons the fact remains is that it seems that their discretion can be limited to just reserving it for those who are going to be in a commander or leadership position but the regs says that is not even required to even have captain.

I'm just taken aback that someone wanted to promote me, wrote a weak recommendation and then didn't bother to tell me he changed his mind :D poor ethics IMO but hey its still within the regs and they haven't really done anything wrong :D

PHall

Quote from: mynetdude on July 03, 2014, 03:32:30 PM

Indeed, I agree satisfactory doesn't meet the requirements; my point is yes I know that there is a lot of latitude in what discretion those whom have the authority at the proper echelon to push a few buttons the fact remains is that it seems that their discretion can be limited to just reserving it for those who are going to be in a commander or leadership position but the regs says that is not even required to even have captain.

I'm just taken aback that someone wanted to promote me, wrote a weak recommendation and then didn't bother to tell me he changed his mind :D poor ethics IMO but hey its still within the regs and they haven't really done anything wrong :D

Methinks they put in a "weak" promotion package just to get you off their back.

"See, I put you in but "they" turned you down."

mynetdude

Quote from: PHall on July 03, 2014, 04:19:33 PM

well yes essentially you're right on the money; there's more to the story but everything I have said is true and factual other than an error I made and I corrected it in my recent post this morning. Anyway, retention is key and its working ;)

Private Investigator

Quote from: mynetdude on July 02, 2014, 11:02:35 PM
I don't expect to be promoted while in 000 status, but when and if I get transferred to a squadron only can I pursue it again once the commander is comfortable with a new recommendation

What I did as a Squadron Commander and then as a Group Commander. When you come out of 000 status you need to put in 1 1/2 years of good service as a 1st Lt before I would recomend you for Captain. We have members who complete Level II, III or IV in several months and then do nothing, go inactive or Patron and then come back years later and think they should be a Lt Col because they did Level IV in 2004.   8)

Private Investigator

Quote from: PHall on July 03, 2014, 04:19:33 PM

That was a great answer by PHALL.

When I was in Group I was "they" the bad guy who turned people down for (bogus) promotions and (unearned) awards ...  8)

The CyBorg is destroyed

Before I go further, Eclipse, I know how you feel about this and respect it but will never agree with your interpretation of the regs on this, especially viz. what constitutes "exceptional."

I have been a Captain since 1997 (with breaks in service) and have accepted that I will probably never go any higher.  I submitted promotion paperwork for Major a year-and-a-half ago and it did not make it beyond the squadron.

I won't go into full details about the fact that I have a documented disabling condition which prevents me from taking part in as many CAP activities as I would like to, which kiboshed my chances.

I have more or less accepted that I will never make it beyond Captain.  I sure am not going to ever submit paperwork for promotion ever again on my own.

The reason I am telling you this is that what constitutes "exemplary" is not cut-and-dried.  It is very open-ended and what one commander may regard as "exemplary" might not even be on the radar for another commander as "just getting by."  One commander may require you to participate in every squadron, group, wing and region activity to be considered "exemplary," while others may not.

That's as far as I'll go with it.

Disagree all you want, hier stehe ich.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

mynetdude

Quote from: CyBorg on July 03, 2014, 09:47:07 PM

Before I go further, Eclipse, I know how you feel about this and respect it but will never agree with your interpretation of the regs on this, especially viz. what constitutes "exceptional."

I have been a Captain since 1997 (with breaks in service) and have accepted that I will probably never go any higher.  I submitted promotion paperwork for Major a year-and-a-half ago and it did not make it beyond the squadron.

I won't go into full details about the fact that I have a documented disabling condition which prevents me from taking part in as many CAP activities as I would like to, which kiboshed my chances.

I have more or less accepted that I will never make it beyond Captain.  I sure am not going to ever submit paperwork for promotion ever again on my own.

The reason I am telling you this is that what constitutes "exemplary" is not cut-and-dried.  It is very open-ended and what one commander may regard as "exemplary" might not even be on the radar for another commander as "just getting by."  One commander may require you to participate in every squadron, group, wing and region activity to be considered "exemplary," while others may not.

That's as far as I'll go with it.

Disagree all you want, hier stehe ich.

It goes to show that when regulations are open to a lot of interpretation its gonna be hit & miss whether you keep that person or not ;) but a good commander would do it on a case by case basis as everyone has different challenges.