Second Lieutenant bars

Started by Billy009, April 22, 2014, 05:09:33 PM

Billy009

Can someone tell me what direction second Lieutenant bars face on the bdu uniform? Not sure whether it's vertical or horizontal.

Storm Chaser

Horizontal. 1/8" blue border. 1" from bar insignia to edge of collar.

On the BDU hat, it goes vertical, 1/2" from visor.

See CAPM 39-1 for more details.

Luis R. Ramos

Vertical on the collar, and vertical in the cap.

Horizontal is this way: --------

Vertical is this way: |

See Fig 6-2, p. 100. It is in relation to the uniform. If seen from the front, some may argue it is horizontal, but it is not. It is still vertical.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Storm Chaser

Quote from: flyer333555 on April 22, 2014, 05:54:41 PM
Vertical on the collar, and vertical in the cap.

Horizontal is this way: --------

Vertical is this way: |

See Fig 6-2, p. 100. It is in relation to the uniform. If seen from the front, some may argue it is horizontal, but it is not. It is still vertical.

Flyer

I'm not sure which image are you looking at, but the one I have in front of me have those bars horizontal, parallel with the bottom edge of the collar...

... Ok, maybe we're seeing the same thing and just describing it different.

Luis R. Ramos

That may be it. To me, that has "always" been the same. I am 59, and I have seen that since I was 16 as "vertical." I never try to describe it as "seen from the front." Can cause confusion.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

a2capt

Roman numeral II as read when printed traditionally from left to right.

Not for people like me who can read upside-down, backwards, and in a mirror.

SarDragon

Regarding horizontal vs. vertical - if you hold the shirt collar so it is parallel to the ground, the rank/grade insignia can be viewed as vertical.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Billy009

Thank you for the information. Very much appreciated.

Storm Chaser

Not a lieutenant, but close enough. Bars are aligned/placed in the same way.

Storm Chaser

The placement of CAP grade insignias is the same as with the Air Force ABU. The grade insignia on the ABU hat on this picture, however, is a bit high. It should be 1/2" for above the visor on the CAP BDU hat.

Panache

Here is a picture of an Air Force First Lieutenant wearing her grade insignia on her ABU's:

For comparison, here is a CAP Second Lieutenant.  Notice the insignia is worn the same way (in line with the edge of the collar)

And, finally, an Army First Lieutenant.  While the uniform is slightly different, notice the orientation of her grade insignia on her cover (hat):

Devil Doc

Boy we didnt have Officers that looked like that when I was in  >:D Im talking about the Air Force Lt
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Garibaldi

While we are on the subject, how do youse guys feel about dem blue grade slides on da field jacket epaulets? I've seen it done, I know it's wrong, and it looks horrible. But I've seen it. I just don't want to say nothin' to no one, not for nothin'.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

PHall

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 23, 2014, 04:14:36 PM
Boy we didnt have Officers that looked like that when I was in  >:D Im talking about the Air Force Lt

Yes we did, we just don't let you low lifes from the other branches see them. >:D

JacobAnn

Not too many professional football cheerleaders are also members of the US military.  Probably none besides her.

Panache

Eh.  I think the Army 1LT is way cuter.

Devil Doc

Nice Catch Panache, I was mesmerized by the "Barbie" Lt.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

GroundHawg

Quote from: JacobAnn on April 24, 2014, 10:55:26 AM

Not too many professional football cheerleaders are also members of the US military.  Probably none besides her.

Mmmm I wouldn't bet on that....
Philadelphia Eagles Cheerleader that commissioned into the US Army as an Intel Officer and served as such with PsyOps and Spec Ops.

Luis R. Ramos

Ya see? ???

All topics degenerate into uniform topics, except when a topic starts on uniforms, it degenerates into something else.

Makes me think there is hope among you...

That not all of you have uniforms as the ultimate goal of your participation in CAP... ;D

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

Garibaldi

Quote from: flyer333555 on April 25, 2014, 07:01:55 PM
Ya see? ???

All topics degenerate into uniform topics, except when a topic starts on uniforms, it degenerates into something else.

Makes me think there is hope among you...

That not all of you have uniforms as the ultimate goal of your participation in CAP... ;D

Flyer

So, when are we getting ABUs?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things