HWSNBN and Harwell

Started by Archer, March 05, 2014, 07:44:58 AM

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Storm Chaser on March 12, 2014, 04:23:11 PM
Maybe not, but it can. The first step is to stop being cynical and a downer. As I've said before; the right attitude can make a huge difference.

Some people are cynical by nature.  I am one of them.  Conversely, my dear wife of almost 15 years is an incurable optimist.  That is good for me, because we can meet somewhere in the middle.  She dispells some of my storm clouds and I temper her outlook with the realisation that, no, Pollyanna, all is not right with the world.

Personality types (I will not get into it here, but look up Myers-Briggs) have a lot to do with the "attitudes" one inherently has and/or moulded by life experience.  I remember in my university Developmental Psychology class that many attitudes are hard-wired into the brain before the age of 10 (I think).

You can't improve the system if you don't have faith in it. You may not be able to change others, but you can certainly change yourself. And sometimes that's what it takes to make a difference.

Some changes in self can be made, others cannot.  Probably the biggest "self-change" I made was when I quit drinking in the late 1990s (except for Sunday morning Communion wine).  I know that has favourably impacted my attitude.  It is no good blundering about in a fog, is it?

If I had not already been burned by "the system" in CAP in the examples I have noted, I probably would not be as cynical as I am about it, especially when the IG incident resulted in my just doing my job.  The weird thing is, although I got reprimanded for it, I also received a Commander's Commendation from my Squadron CC for the same incident (for standing my ground)!  But even that was tempered by my CC losing his job for backing me up.  He was a good commander and good person all around.

The system can most definitely be improved, but it takes true leaders to do so. And leaders are those who make things happen, not those who just complain when things don't work out the way they want.

Which theory of leadership do you subscribe to?

1.  Leaders are born.
2.  Leaders are made.
3.  A combination of the two.

EDIT: CyBorg, I just want to clarify that I'm not trying to pick on you or single you out. I understand that you've had many bad experiences; I know others have too. However, I truly believe in what I'm saying here. I've seen the results.

Do not worry about that!  I have truly been "picked on" and "singled out" enough in my life to be able to differentiate that from constructive criticism, which I honestly believe you are trying to get across.  I do not permit people to "pick on" me anymore.  So, no, I do respect what you are saying; I have just seen a different side of things.

Quote from: ZigZag911 on March 13, 2014, 09:10:29 PM
Why don't we just refer to HWSNBN as "Voldemort" and be done with it?!?

Or Palpatine. ;D

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Panache

Quote from: CyBorg on March 14, 2014, 04:50:17 AM

Or Palpatine. ;D

Oh Lord no.  Palpatine ended up conquering most of the galaxy at one point...

lordmonar

Quote from: Panache on March 14, 2014, 05:10:14 AM

Or Palpatine. ;D

Until two teenagers in an Aluminum Falcon blew it up!  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Panache

Quote from: lordmonar on March 14, 2014, 05:16:07 AM
Quote from: Panache on March 14, 2014, 05:10:14 AM

Or Palpatine. ;D

Until two teenagers in an Aluminum Falcon blue it up!  :)

What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?!?

Cindi

Quote from: Panache on March 14, 2014, 05:21:32 AM

A humorous reference to the Millenium Falcon spaceship from the Star Wars movies, uttered by Emperor Palpatine in a spoof claymation-style video shown on Cartoon Network's "Adult Swim" TV show.

Panache

Quote from: Cindi on March 14, 2014, 05:30:16 AM
Quote from: Panache on March 14, 2014, 05:21:32 AM

A humorous reference to the Millenium Falcon spaceship from the Star Wars movies, uttered by Emperor Palpatine in a spoof claymation-style video shown on Cartoon Network's "Adult Swim" TV show.

lol, I know Cindi.  I was quoting Palpatine from that skit.

"Go for Papa Palpatine!"

flyboy53

Quote from: capmaj on March 05, 2014, 07:01:57 PM
So is it naive to think that the award/s were later revoked! Or are they still in place due to at least one of the recipients still being with CAP at National?

No, goes to show you how political some decorations/awards are......

NIN

Quote from: Panache on March 14, 2014, 05:43:31 AM
lol, I know Cindi.  I was quoting Palpatine from that skit.

"Go for Papa Palpatine!"

"That thing wasn't even paid off yet! Do you know what this is going to do to my credit?"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Private Investigator

Quote from: SarDragon on March 13, 2014, 10:54:01 PM
Quote from: a2capt on March 13, 2014, 08:44:00 PM
Quote from: Private Investigator on March 13, 2014, 07:29:38 PMThat is the Catch-22. Some local procedures are so tough that General Chuch Yeager can not fly until he is checked out by Gomer and approved by Goober.   ;)
Which you have no idea how real it is. When you're dealing with a defiant masked GOBN Flying Club Unit that says "suuuuuuuure, we'll check you out on the local procedures, of our little 2160x60 strip, with cliffs at both ends and a hill on one side" .. and you try to schedule a time, "well, I'm not available for the next 18 weeks except at 1AM every fourth day, for 30 minutes, so it might take a while".

Been there. Done that. Said unit has largely changed since then. But I'm not far off on my description. Never did bother to get "qualified" to fly "their" airplane. Found it was easier, and almost as fast, to drive 78 miles to get another aircraft.

Yes, I've noticed big changes in that unit. They even willingly fly O-rides these days.  >:D

Roger that, now they want to play with everyone like good children   8)

MSG Mac

The evil men do lives after them, the good is oft interred with their ashes; so be it with Gene Harwell and Fat Tony.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

a2capt

I just find it amazing how they can get so far, so corrupt, and people don't stand up to them in the meantime.

FW

^ It isn't so amazing as it was the way things were at the time. It was easier to let the "boss" have their way than oppose the issues at hand. It is another great reason why we now play by new rules. Commanders now implement policy; not make it.

Eclipse

Which new rules are these?

Commanders can certainly set policy within their respective AOR.

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

Commanders can set local policies unless prohibited by regulation. I was thinking about national policy which allowed for poor process like what is being brought up in this thread. Today's Command Council and Senior Advisory Group have completely different roles than those of the former National Board and NEC. It is the BoG's role to establish policy for CAP. National Commanders are only answerable to an 11 member governing body; of which only 4 are members of CAP. It becomes problematic for repeating past embarrassments now. There no longer is anyone to bully in a personal agenda.

Today, a National Commander, who is selected by the BoG, has great authority to implement policy, and make decisions necessary to insure success. Going for another star, approving a uniform, or faking a silver medal of valor would not get traction. That's my opinion.  :angel:

a2capt

The thing is, with the bogus SMOV, there were recipients that knew it was baseless BS. Why accept it? So what if they gave it back. Why are they still with the organization? What else are they going to do "just because"?

FW

To my knowledge, the three no longer belong to CAP.

a2capt

Quote from: FW on March 15, 2014, 01:45:45 AMTo my knowledge, the three no longer belong to CAP.
An earlier message alluded to one of the other two still being at NHQ, though I don't see either of them on the contacts listing.

JK657

I was always curious about the rumor during HWSNBN tenure that he had an aide de camp, complete with silver cord and two-star general officer license plates affixed to his POV?

Just rumors or can anyone actually confirm?

Eclipse

Quote from: JK657 on March 15, 2014, 03:49:24 PM
I was always curious about the rumor during HWSNBN tenure that he had an aide de camp, complete with silver cord and two-star general officer license plates affixed to his POV?

((*sigh*))  Yes, there are photos of a couple of Senior members dressed like over-excited cadets, complete with silver-tipped aiguillettes.
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=2190.0

http://www.capvolunteernow.com/media/cms/CAP_Volunteer_MayJun_07_hirespdf_6F12C45DEE485.pdf

I know of at least one other photo which shows the aides behind HWSRN, but the below gives you the idea.

"That Others May Zoom"

JK657

Thanks Eclipse...... reading that link you posted: a protective service detail...really?!?!?!