Main Menu

Ribbon Question

Started by antdetroitwallyball, February 28, 2014, 09:10:27 PM

antdetroitwallyball

I'm a new CAP member here with a question regarding ribbons.

I've been a member of the USCGAUX for a little while now. I work alongside active duty coasties, and have participated in a few things wherein I earned actual Coast Guard ribbons. For example, the CG's Meritorious Team Commendation award, etc. This is not an auxiliary ribbon, it's an active duty CG ribbon. I was formally awarded it, because I was part of an team of active duty guys during an event.

I understand that if I had earned this ribbon as an active duty Coastie, I would be eligible to wear it on a CAP uniform (right?). My question is: am I allowed to wear this ribbon on my CAP uniform since it's a real military ribbon (not an auxiliary one), even if I never was an active duty coastie?

NOW, before ya'll start thinking of me as a Chest-Candy Poser, bear in mind that I have never owned/worn any CG/CGAUX uniform where ribbons are worn. The only uniform I've ever worn if the CG's utility uniform, on which you don't wear ribbons. My point is that AWARDS and RIBBONS DO NOT MEAN ANYTHING TO ME. So, if the answer I get to this post is "no." I'm ENTIRELY fine with that. I'm just trying to get an answer to a question that may be a bit in a gray area. I've earned several CGAUX-specific ribbons, but I don't even know what most of them are and I don't own a uniform to wear them on. I will honestly treat CAP ribbons probably with the same regard. If I actually did something special to earn one, I would wear it with pride. But let's be honest, some are handed out for pretty petty things. This is why my "active duty" ribbons are really the only ones that even matter to me, because I actually had to do something to earn them...

I'm just curious. Thanks for your help.

Eclipse

The only decorations and badges from other services that you can wear are military decs and badges which are approved for wear
by the USAF on the USAF uniform.

Put simply, if an Active Duty airman could wear it, a CAP member can, if not, generally no.

When in doubt, the directive is to contact NHQ for clarification.

"That Others May Zoom"

AlphaSigOU

Per CAPR 39-3, Section A, paragraph 3b:

Decorations, ribbons, and badges authorized for wear on the U.S. Air Force uniform may be worn on the CAP AF-style uniform when earned through qualification and awarded by competent authority to a member for service performed in any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States or its allies as outlined in CAPM 39-1.

Per CAPM 39-1, Chapter 5, paragraph 5-4:

Military service ribbons may be worn on the CAP AF-style uniform provided they were awarded in writing by competent military authority. Awards of the Air Force, Army, Navy, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard will be worn in the order prescribed by the awarding service, subject to the following: In all cases of relative priority, Air Force awards will take precedence. See Table 5-3. Awards for wars, campaigns, expeditions etc., will be worn in chronological sequence.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Garibaldi

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on February 28, 2014, 09:30:16 PM

Decorations, ribbons, and badges authorized for wear on the U.S. Air Force uniform may be worn on the CAP AF-style uniform when earned through qualification and awarded by competent authority to a member for service performed in any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States or its allies as outlined in CAPM 39-1.

Military service ribbons may be worn on the CAP AF-style uniform provided they were awarded in writing by competent military authority. Awards of the Air Force, Army, Navy, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard will be worn in the order prescribed by the awarding service, subject to the following: In all cases of relative priority, Air Force awards will take precedence. See Table 5-3. Awards for wars, campaigns, expeditions etc., will be worn in chronological sequence.
Lawyered.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Garibaldi on February 28, 2014, 09:47:03 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on February 28, 2014, 09:30:16 PM

Lawyered.

And I don't live in the barracks! :D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

GroundHawg

Short answer is yes.

I have four ribbons that I earned as a member of the USCG Auxiliary that I wore on my Army and USAF uniform, and currently wear on my CAP uniform. Since I assume you do not have a DD214/215 or a NGB22 to have them added to, my suggestion is to have the local yeoman cut you an official memo stating all USCG that you have been awarded (omitting the Aux awards) and then put a copy of that in your CAP file. Honestly, I would keep a set on me at big functions where the issue may come up as well.

antdetroitwallyball

Awesome. I have all of the formal citations that were presented to me along with the ribbons.

VNY

Quote from: antdetroitwallyball on February 28, 2014, 09:10:27 PM

I've been a member of the USCGAUX for a little while now. I work alongside active duty coasties, and have participated in a few things wherein I earned actual Coast Guard ribbons. For example, the CG's Meritorious Team Commendation award, etc. This is not an auxiliary ribbon, it's an active duty CG ribbon. I was formally awarded it, because I was part of an team of active duty guys during an event.

Circumstances don't really matter.

If it is an actual USCG award, you can wear it.  If it is a USCG Aux award, you cannot.

The difference is the actual USCG award (which the meritorious team award is) fits in the category of a US military award with documentation to back it up.  If you got it from the Coast Guard, the paperwork is there, they are really good about such things.

Keep in mind that as a military award, you still cannot wear it on aviator whites.

a2capt

A few things. The Red Text - isn't necessary. In fact, it may even cause some people to just not read your post.

Just because ribbons are not important to you, just make sure you don't take that attitude that they shouldn't be important to other people either.

"CAPers" isn't well received, like you started out in another thread.

PHall

Quote from: a2capt on March 01, 2014, 02:52:16 AM
"CAPers" isn't well received, like you started out in another thread.

antdetroitwalleyball

You stop calling us "CAPers" and we'll stop calling you a "Puddle Pirate".

Get it?

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: VNY on March 01, 2014, 01:10:18 AM
If it is an actual USCG award, you can wear it.  If it is a USCG Aux award, you cannot.

I wish someone (feel free! ;D) could provide some hard, concrete, in-the-regs evidence for this.

As a former Auxiliarist, I have one USCG ribbon and two USCGAux ribbons.  I know I cannot wear any of these on the G/W kit.

However, on the AF uniform, I have never been told that I cannot...and several times that I can, once by a Squadron CC who was a retired Navy CWO, and once by a Group CC who was a retired Marine SNCO.

What I was told is this: the CG ribbon goes before the CAP ribbons in order of precedence, and the CGAUX ribbons go after the CAP ribbons.

As for "being awarded under competent military authority," if anything, the CGAUX has more of that than we do.  The Auxiliary is directly overseen by an active duty CG Captain, and at least one of my citations is signed by a CG CWO3.

It does not reciprocate.  The CGAUX is clear that CAP ribbons cannot be worn on their uniform, but until someone orders me not to, or I see something directly in 39-1 saying "no CGAUX ribbons may be worn," I will wear mine.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Is the CG Aux considered Military Service?

It's pretty clear here that they are -not- included.

5-3. Order of Precedence. The order of precedence for cadet ribbons is shown in Table 5-1. The
order of precedence for senior member ribbons is shown in Table 5-2. The ribbon with the highest
precedence will be placed nearest to the lapel on the top row; other ribbons will follow in the proper
order of precedence from right to left. The numbers on the ribbons in Figure 5-1 show the order of
arrangement.
5-4. Military Service Awards. Military service ribbons may be worn on the CAP AF-style uniform
provided they were awarded in writing by competent military authority. Awards of the Air Force,
Army, Navy, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard will be worn in the order prescribed by the awarding
service, subject to the following: In all cases of relative priority, Air Force awards will take precedence.
See Table 5-3. Awards for wars, campaigns, expeditions etc., will be worn in chronological sequence.
a. Three JROTC/ROTC ribbons awarded by military departments may be worn following all other
ribbons (except foreign ribbons) while the member concerned is participating in the JROTC/ROTC
program. When the member is no longer participating in the JROTC/ROTC program, JROTC/ROTC
ribbons will be removed.
b. Foreign decorations are so many and so varied, the number and combinations that may be worn
will not be prescribed; however, good taste and judgment should prevail. Only those decorations that
have been duly approved by Congress for acceptance and wear by the individual may be worn.

SARDOC

^^^ No, but the Award is a Coast Guard Award not a Coast Guard Auxiliary award, issued by the Coast Guard.  Just like the Civil Air Patrol is not a military service but we've had members issued an Air Medal...issued by the Air Force (more likely Army Air Corps). 

Eclipse

Yes, but it was awarded to someone >not< in the Coast Guard.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

Just like the Air Medal was issued to someone >not< in the Air Force.

Eclipse

Quote from: SARDOC on March 01, 2014, 05:14:52 AM

Agreed, however the parent service of an auxiliary awarding and allowing the wear of a decoration
is not the same as expecting one auxiliary to allow the wear of decorations from another auxiliary.

I would expect the same response from the CGAux to the CAP Member wanting to wear the air medal on the CGAux uniform.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on March 01, 2014, 05:16:28 AM
Quote from: SARDOC on March 01, 2014, 05:14:52 AM

Agreed, however the parent service of an auxiliary awarding and allowing the wear of a decoration
is not the same as expecting one auxiliary to allow the wear of decorations from another auxiliary.

I would expect the same response from the CGAux to the CAP Member wanting to wear the air medal on the CGAux uniform.

That's what I find interesting.  They preach the one team total force concept, but when it comes down to brass tax, we again get treated as second class citizens. 

SarDragon

Page 93 of CAPM 39-1 has a list of permitted military awards. There are some CG awards listed.

CAPR 39-3 has this to say [my emphasis]:

Quote from: para 3.b.b. Decorations, ribbons and badges authorized for wear on the U.S. Air Force uniform may be worn on the CAP AF-style uniform when earned through qualification and awarded by competent authority to a member for service performed in any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States or its allies as outlined in CAPM 39-1.

There is also a list of authorized decorations and awards in AFI36-2903. This list does not contain have any USCG Aux awards.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Meh - this is one of the few places where "total force" really doesn't count in my mind.

Military decorations are irrelevant to CAP membership and AFAIC should just be eliminated
in lieu of wearing only CAP decs.

Since that's never going to happen, at least not get bunched when "this or that" can't be worn.
At least you still have a place to wear them.  It's not the ARC or CERT gives you that opportunity,
nor the BSA, etc.

It has nothing to do with respect, it's just a lot of noise about jelly beans the average
member doesn't even understand, mixed in with a a few, but too many members
who can't even be bothered to wear their CAP decs, but are all too happy to wear
only their military ones.

Not a popular stance, I know.

"That Others May Zoom"