I.T. Conferences, Unit IT Plan

Started by J.E. Linscott, Sr., February 20, 2014, 02:41:54 AM

J.E. Linscott, Sr.

Good evening, all,

On page 11 of CAPP 227, under the section of Knowledge Requirements - Activities, item 6 states "Become familiar with and provide updates as needed to the squadron, group, wing, and national IT plans." Do you know where one could find the national IT plan? Or could someone point me to an example of a wing/squadron/group plan? Our squadron does not have an IT plan, and while I have some concepts in mind for a draft, seeing an existing/approved IT plan would be a great springboard.

Next, item 7 states "Attend a wing or region IT Activity, an online IT Workshop, or an Annual Conference IT Seminar." for the ITO technician rating. Having never seen IT events occur in my wing, I'd appreciate it if someone would point out to me how to get to an "an online IT Workshop". A website or point of contact would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

JOSH LINSCOTT, Capt, CAP
RMR-UT-027/ITO
JOSH LINSCOTT, Capt, CAP
RMR-UT-027/ITO

Eclipse

I think most of those requirements were put in place an anticipation of more traction in that specialty.

I'd be surprised if any of them exist in a meaningful way.  It's one of the reasons I didn't bother pursing the track
even though I am an IT professional and have been posted on and off as ITO and WSA at multiple levels.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Ask you group/wing ITO if they have a plan.  If not, write one for the squadron.

Same thing for the activities...if they don't exist, offer to put them on.  A good IT seminar for a Wing Conference would be to talk about electronic records management, or configuring a web server with Google Sites and handing it off the your PAO.

NIN

Quote from: JeffDG on February 20, 2014, 12:55:20 PM
Ask you group/wing ITO if they have a plan.  If not, write one for the squadron.

Same thing for the activities...if they don't exist, offer to put them on.  A good IT seminar for a Wing Conference would be to talk about electronic records management, or configuring a web server with Google Sites and handing it off the your PAO.

You know, thats a really good point from a CAP professional development standpoint, a CAP IT development standpoint and a personal IT development standpoint.  The purpose behind the different levels within PD isn't to demonstrate that you can do certain mechanical processes (ie. Personnel, processing a promotion CAPF 2) or can check a box, but as you advance in your mastery of the specialty, you become less of a "drone" and more of a "thought leader" who should be encouraging and providing knowledge to the folks at the Tech and Senior level.

So if you become really good at setting up and managing Google Apps for your unit or later your Group, you should become a Subject Matter Expert and impart that knowledge and information (especially the higher-level "This is why it is a good thing to use Google Apps for Non-Profits for email, calendar, document sharing..") advice to your commanders and relevant staff officers to build consensus and a community of practice.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

johnnyb47

I'd be happy to share what I did for our Squadron Plan if you'd like.
Just PM your email address to me and I'll send it.

-John
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

vento

Here's a copy (redacted) of our squadron's IT Plan. Hopefully it will provide you with a starting point and develop your own from here on.
Cheers  :)

J.E. Linscott, Sr.

Thanks all for the advice! JohnnyB, I'll be PMing you shortly.
JOSH LINSCOTT, Capt, CAP
RMR-UT-027/ITO

aviator9417

Can you PM me a redacted version of an IT plan?  I am going to be taking over as my squadrons IT officer after my application is finished processing.
Assistant Information Technology Officer
Chino Cadet Squadron 20
California Wing, Group 3
sq20.cawgcap.org

JeffDG

Another place to look is the CAP-IT forum...although it's been rather dead of late...

Perhaps some fresh blood will get it back online!

http://cap-it.us/forum/index.php