Crewmember wings alternative

Started by Mustang, January 05, 2014, 10:25:23 PM

James Shaw

How about removing the triangle from the center and making the prop a little smaller. This would maintain close to the original design but allow the C for "crew" to stand out better.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

arajca

At the risk of being negative, it looks like a defective Observer wing.

Panache

Maybe I'm just being crazy here, but I feel that the Civil Air Patrol Aircrew wings should, you know, actually have the CAP logo on it somewhere.

Right now, with a generic "AC" (and nothing else) in a blank disc, it looks like a cheap prop you would buy at a costume shop for Halloween.

Panache

Excuse my laughable photoshop skills, but even something like this would be an improvement...

a2capt

The farcical side of me thinks they put that text in there and then said "now let's go watch the people on CAPTalk go argue what it should be .. and then pick something they don't ever mention".

So cover -all- the bases. Quick. Make NIH Syndrome -really hard- for them. ;)

Panache

Quote from: a2capt on January 12, 2014, 11:48:12 PM
So cover -all- the bases. Quick. Make NIH Syndrome -really hard- for them. ;)

Heck, use the current "Observer" wings, but make it bronze-colored instead of silver.  This way they can keep the same die / embroidery design, but just use a different alloy / color thread.

flyboy53

Actually, I would concur with an earlier post that suggested re-activating the old stewardess badge. It's already in the system and is distinctive.

Cliff_Chambliss

All for abolishing all uniforms, (polo shirts for all) and just the persons name and underneath the word Pilot, Observer, etc.  No wings, no symbols.  plain and simple.
Benefits:
  Cost effective for the members.
  Eliminates confusion of uniform/rank between CAP and Real Military.
  Something easily understood by all.

11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Hawk200

Quote from: flyboy1 on January 14, 2014, 01:00:32 PM
Actually, I would concur with an earlier post that suggested re-activating the old stewardess badge. It's already in the system and is distinctive.
Or the old observer half wing. That I would wear.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: flyboy1 on January 14, 2014, 01:00:32 PM

Hasn't been awarded since the stewardess - ahem - flight attendant special activity went away in the early 80s.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on January 14, 2014, 02:21:35 PM
All for abolishing all uniforms, (polo shirts for all) and just the persons name and underneath the word Pilot, Observer, etc.  No wings, no symbols.  plain and simple.
Benefits:
  Eliminates confusion of uniform/rank between CAP and Real Military.

Abolishes virtually all of our identity, as well.

Would your recommendation also cover cadets?

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on January 14, 2014, 06:26:52 PM
Hasn't been awarded since the stewardess - ahem - flight attendant special activity went away in the early 80s.

I wasn't around then.  Just what exactly was there for a CAP "stewardess/flight attendant" to do?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

a2capt

Serves coffee from the back seat of a 206.

I'm pretty sure that was a career exploration/introduction activity.. not a specialty.

AlphaSigOU

If I remember correctly (from my days as a cadink, back when the earth cooled and dinosaurs roamed the earth ;) ) that was a special career exploration activity that was held with several airlines, one of them being the late Eastern Airlines. It was held in Miami (HQ for Eastern) and the training lasted a week. Pretty much a female-only special activity, and the last one I can remember was back in 1979. One of the cadets in my squadron at the time went to the activity and came back with 'stewardess wings'.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on January 14, 2014, 02:21:35 PM
Benefits:
  Eliminates confusion of uniform/rank between CAP and Real the Military.

Fixed that for you, and I'm officially implementing a moratorium on the use of the term "Real Military" in this context.
Since CAP doesn't purport to be any type of military, it's actually an incorrect comparison.  Considering the knowledge-level
and attention span of the average member of the general public, being mistaken for being in a military service (usually the Army) is a risk
anytime you wear just about anything with even a slightly tactical appearance.

"Real" vs. "not-real" might be apt in regards to SDFs, ad-hoc militias, or the random home-grown
group of guys in ACUs, but not to CAP, which is officially a military auxiliary, authorized by its parent service and the US Congress
to wear what it does, and to a certain extent, that service intends for CAP to appear to be, at a minimum, affiliated.

Further to this, there's actually no "confusion" in any meaningful way - if Joe-Sixer thinks we're in the USAF, so
what?  It's on us not to exploit the confusion to personal means.  If someone in another service does, then perhaps they
need to be better informed or increase their SA.

Either way, some Airman's indignation at accidentally saluting a CAP officer should be zero concern to CAP, and
a big concern for the USAF who is clearly not communicating their Auxiliary's place in the universe.

"That Others May Zoom"

unmlobo

As an AD member I have had to explain to every supervisor I have had what CAP is.  Whenever my EPR comes around the first time with them I have a packet of things that I bring them re: What CAP is, what quals I have achieved since my last EPR, and whatever numbers I can get a hold of.  Kind of sad considering we are the Auxiliary and almost no one knows what CAP is.  I plan on informing as many as I can at this new base.

As for saluting eh it is what is, salute it if it's shiny, if not pick it up.  If it can't be picked up, paint it.
Major, CAP
HI WG

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on January 15, 2014, 12:20:17 AM
Either way, some Airman's indignation at accidentally saluting a CAP officer should be zero concern to CAP, and
a big concern for the USAF who is clearly not communicating their Auxiliary's place in the universe.
How about Joe Airman accidentally saluting a CAP NCO?  :)  Happened to me just last week.....our uniforms do confuse them sometimes....  but other then that I agree with you Eclipses.....we ARE part of the TOTAL FORCE.....we ARE.....ALWAYS......the official civilian Auxiliary to the USAF and defacto part of the "real" military.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

LSThiker

Quote from: lordmonar on January 15, 2014, 06:45:22 AM
How about Joe Airman accidentally saluting a CAP NCO?  :) 

Heck, I accidentally saluted an E-4 Spec one morning.  He was an old E-4 and I was not completely awake.  I thought it was an O-5 at a distance.

KarlIceman

I'm enjoying the feedback on the AC wings...Since every aircrew member needs to have wings why not go with the proposed circular design with the following marks....  MS, MO, MP or just a plain S, O, P (Scanner, Observer, Pilot)......

As for the mistaken identity and saluting a salute is a courtesy and if a CAP Officer is rendered a salute then return it.    While attending NSC last year at NHQ I was saluted by REGULAR COMMISSIONED USAF OFFICERS who were lower in grade than I am in CAP.  I returned their salute with a proper greeting and went about business.   :clap:

NIN

Quote from: LSThiker

Heck, I accidentally saluted an E-4 Spec one morning.  He was an old E-4 and I was not completely awake.  I thought it was an O-5 at a distance.

I got saluted by a bunch of three- degrees on the Terrazzo once.  They saw Army Green and stuff on the epaulets and started whipping out salutes. Turned into an impromptu class on Army enlisted grade insignia.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

jeders

Quote from: GroundHawg on January 06, 2014, 06:59:58 PM
We could go old school. ;)

Wasn't something like this for stewardesses back in the day?

This is far and away my favorite proposal for the new "aircrew" wings. Though I would use the pilot wings as a base, not the observer wings. This would essentially create an updated version of the WWII era observer wings, except without the colored enamel. This would create a badge with historical relevance to OUR organization and not look like illegitimate Navy wings.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse