Crewmember wings alternative

Started by Mustang, January 05, 2014, 10:25:23 PM

Grumpy

"Taking our service cap device and putting that in the middle.  What do you all think?"

We could make it a pigeon.   ;D

Papabird

Michael Willis, Lt. Col CAP
Georgia Wing

SarDragon

Quote from: THRAWN on January 08, 2014, 02:27:35 PM
complicated and expensive to die.

CNC does magical things these days.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

Quote from: SarDragon on January 08, 2014, 10:22:05 PM

You know, I thought about that a  year or so ago when we were looking/thinking about new insignia items for the USAC.

Especially on dress uniforms, cadet insignia got worn like 2-3 times a year. So I was looking at manufactured plastic insignia with gold flashing.

I mean, hey, if you can turn the equivalent of a set of cutouts (collar brass) from $5 a pair to $2.50, or some badge from $10 (because its a limited run) to less than $5, why not?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Swap all insignia to white or black and 3D print them!

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on January 08, 2014, 11:21:51 PM

Quality still sucks. Would take 30 minutes or so.

sardak

QuoteSwap all insignia to white or black and 3D print them!
And for those last minute or field promotions and awards, "The World's First 3D Printing Pen, The 3Doodler!"  http://www.the3doodler.com/

Mike

NIN

Quote from: usafaux2004 on January 08, 2014, 11:32:16 PM

Quality still sucks. Would take 30 minutes or so.

Still faster than Vanguard.

/obligatory.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

a2capt

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: a2capt on January 08, 2014, 11:52:10 PM
Quote from: NIN on January 08, 2014, 11:49:30 PMStill faster than Vanguard.
..and probably better detail, too.

Actually no. We looked into 3d printers for production. It ain't there yet.

a2capt

Quote from: usafaux2004 on January 09, 2014, 12:06:29 AMActually no. We looked into 3d printers for production. It ain't there yet.
But this is the Big V we're comparing to. Have you seen some of those badges? ;)

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: THRAWN on January 06, 2014, 02:52:23 PM
There is no need to design and produce a new set of badges for members of CAP aircrews. Current designs would suffice for the purpose of designating individuals as aircrew with no additional cost to the member or the organization. It is my proposal that the current Observer style aviation badge be redesignated "CAP Aircrew Badge". This would enable one badge to encompass all non-pilot aircrew specialties. The Basic badge would be authorized for scanners, aerial photographers, and all other non-pilot and non-observer crew duties. The senior badge would be authorized for Observers. The Master badge would be authorized for members who are qualified Air Operations Branch Directors. Using this method, there would be no need to design, cast or produce a new style insignia in the various versions (full, mini, cloth, and leather nametag). Organizationally, only a change to existing regs would be necessary, with negligible funding impact. The cost to members would be minimal.

But all of that would result in a deviation to the hierarchy system used in wings and badges in general. The star and star/wreath is supposed to represent higher levels of the rating shown by the badge/wings. Following this suggestion uses the star and star/wreath to create an entirely different badge with each addition.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: NIN on January 08, 2014, 11:08:55 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on January 08, 2014, 10:22:05 PM

You know, I thought about that a  year or so ago when we were looking/thinking about new insignia items for the USAC.

Especially on dress uniforms, cadet insignia got worn like 2-3 times a year. So I was looking at manufactured plastic insignia with gold flashing.

I mean, hey, if you can turn the equivalent of a set of cutouts (collar brass) from $5 a pair to $2.50, or some badge from $10 (because its a limited run) to less than $5, why not?

I've got some Russian badges of recent manufacture that are made of plastic. Some are enameled looking, others look like metal. There is no way to tell that they are plastic unless you look at the reverse.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

NIN

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on January 09, 2014, 04:00:51 AM
I've got some Russian badges of recent manufacture that are made of plastic. Some are enameled looking, others look like metal. There is no way to tell that they are plastic unless you look at the reverse.

Yeah, the manufacturing methodologies have changed over the years.. :)

Seriously, for cadet insignia, it probably would be cheaper and as durable.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: NIN on January 09, 2014, 04:12:08 AM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on January 09, 2014, 04:00:51 AM

Yeah, the manufacturing methodologies have changed over the years.. :)

Seriously, for cadet insignia, it probably would be cheaper and as durable.

Cadets manage to break the pins on the current insignia...

a2capt

Must be a local problem,  maybe because the things are frozen ;)

Panache

And then I would like some tea.  Earl Gray.  Hot.

Quote from: Papabird on January 08, 2014, 05:06:37 PM
I'd say the Navy-style are a done deal, not a place holder. If you look at the other image placeholders, they're all a boxed X.

(depressed sigh)

Mustang

I can pretty much assure all of you right now that we won't be adopting any sort of insignia with AF-style wings attached. Ain't gonna happen.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Panache

Quote from: Mustang on January 09, 2014, 07:33:59 AM
I can pretty much assure all of you right now that we won't be adopting any sort of insignia with AF-style wings attached. Ain't gonna happen.

There is a frustrating irony that the United States' Air Force Auxiliary won't / can't adopt AF-style aviation insignia, but instead uses naval-style insignia.

Makes you wonder why.

THRAWN

It does not. The CAP Aircrew badge slick wings would represent the "intro" level of air crew qualification. The Senior CAP Aircrew badge represents more advanced qualifications, and the Master CAP Aircrew badge represents the entry into air mission management. Just as the GT badge represents quals at different levels....the addition of the star and star/wreath doesnt change the name of the badge.

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on January 09, 2014, 03:17:01 AM
Quote from: THRAWN on January 06, 2014, 02:52:23 PM
There is no need to design and produce a new set of badges for members of CAP aircrews. Current designs would suffice for the purpose of designating individuals as aircrew with no additional cost to the member or the organization. It is my proposal that the current Observer style aviation badge be redesignated "CAP Aircrew Badge". This would enable one badge to encompass all non-pilot aircrew specialties. The Basic badge would be authorized for scanners, aerial photographers, and all other non-pilot and non-observer crew duties. The senior badge would be authorized for Observers. The Master badge would be authorized for members who are qualified Air Operations Branch Directors. Using this method, there would be no need to design, cast or produce a new style insignia in the various versions (full, mini, cloth, and leather nametag). Organizationally, only a change to existing regs would be necessary, with negligible funding impact. The cost to members would be minimal.

But all of that would result in a deviation to the hierarchy system used in wings and badges in general. The star and star/wreath is supposed to represent higher levels of the rating shown by the badge/wings. Following this suggestion uses the star and star/wreath to create an entirely different badge with each addition.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023