Crewmember wings alternative

Started by Mustang, January 05, 2014, 10:25:23 PM

Mustang

Quote from: lordmonar on January 16, 2014, 01:42:23 AM
Quote from: Alaric on January 16, 2014, 01:22:03 AM
Technically speaking we are only an auxiliary of the Air Force when on an Air Force mission.  So most of the time we are a civilian corporation.  When I was a member of a volunteer Search and Rescue team in Illinois, even though we reported through the Fire Department we wore polos and tactical pants.
100% WRONG!!!!

I SAY AGAIN MY LAST!   100% WRONG!

We are always the Civil Air Patrol, The Official Auxiliary of the USAF!  Says so in the law that created us!

What you are getting confused about is:   We are only an instrument of the U.S. Government and covered by Federal Tort Protection, and Federal Workers Compensation during USAF Assigned Missions.

So get let's forget this AUX ON/AUX OFF stuff!

Sorry for my rant!

Non-concur.

Quote10 USC §9442. Status as volunteer civilian auxiliary of the Air Force

(a) Volunteer Civilian Auxiliary.—
The Civil Air Patrol is a volunteer civilian auxiliary of the Air Force when the services of the Civil Air Patrol are used by any department or agency in any branch of the Federal Government.
(b) Use by Air Force.—
(1) The Secretary of the Air Force may use the services of the Civil Air Patrol to fulfill the noncombat programs and missions of the Department of the Air Force.
(2) The Civil Air Patrol shall be deemed to be an instrumentality of the United States with respect to any act or omission of the Civil Air Patrol, including any member of the Civil Air Patrol, in carrying out a mission assigned by the Secretary of the Air Force.

Paragraph (a) identifies pretty clearly when we are considered "a volunteer civilian auxiliary of the Air Force"; the implication being that anytime that condition--"when the services of the Civil Air Patrol are used by any department or agency in any branch of the Federal Government."--is NOT met, we are not considered as such.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Panache

Slightly off topic.... but check out the attached picture to this story.

ColonelJack

Quote from: Mustang on January 16, 2014, 10:20:46 AM
Paragraph (a) identifies pretty clearly when we are considered "a volunteer civilian auxiliary of the Air Force"; the implication being that anytime that condition--"when the services of the Civil Air Patrol are used by any department or agency in any branch of the Federal Government."--is NOT met, we are not considered as such.

Which doesn't change my main point ... if you don't want to wear uniforms (whether AF or corporate) and don't want to hold a rank and don't want to be part of a military-styled advancement system, you are in the wrong organization and I question why you joined in the first place.

N.B. - this is my view and mine alone; your mileage may vary.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

jeders

Quote from: Panache on January 16, 2014, 10:31:17 AM

I'm sorry, what are we checking out?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

LSThiker

Quote from: jeders on January 16, 2014, 02:07:35 PM

Click on the words "attached picture" and you will see a picture of a Lt Col wearing a flight cap with the blue flight suit.

Sapper168

Quote from: LSThiker on January 16, 2014, 02:14:04 PM

Click on the words "attached picture" and you will see a picture of a Lt Col wearing a flight cap with the blue flight suit.

Under current CAPM-39-1 this is within regs.  Check out page 86, table 4-5, line 6.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

unmlobo

Personally as someone who got their degree in History I am all for the World War I or II Observer rating badges.  Slightly updated without the straight wing design of the Great War.  Just my two cents.  Fair Winds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:TechnicalObserverWings.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USA_-_Balloon_Observer_WWI.png
Major, CAP
HI WG

LSThiker

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on January 16, 2014, 02:22:06 PM
Under current CAPM-39-1 this is within regs.  Check out page 86, table 4-5, line 6.

Yes it is.  Did not say otherwise.  Of course, I could have described the major wearing a green flight suit with the flight cap.  However, I figured I would just describe the ranking officer in the picture.

Eclipse

Nope, wrong.

We are always the USAF Auxiliary.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: CyBorg on January 16, 2014, 07:55:03 AMWhich they have not done for some time, at least not at an educational level.  Upper echelons know who we are (as Colonel Lee can well attest) but the further down the totem pole you go knowledge diminishes.  When it gets to the point where some Airman writes in to Air Force Times saying that in BMT their MTI said to "ignore" CAP members, that's pretty bad - if true.

And it almost certainly isn't.

Apocryphal stories by disgruntled Airmen fresh out of BMT should likely be treated with, "suspicion", at best.

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

Quote from: Eclipse on January 16, 2014, 02:28:07 PM

Nope, wrong.

+1

Eclipse

Quote from: LSThiker on January 16, 2014, 02:28:03 PM
Quote from: Ground_Pounder on January 16, 2014, 02:22:06 PM

Yes it is.  Did not say otherwise.  Of course, I could have described the major wearing a green flight suit with the flight cap.  However, I figured I would just describe the ranking officer in the picture.

Why are we "checking them out"?  They both look fine.

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Quote from: Eclipse on January 16, 2014, 02:34:09 PM
Why are we "checking them out"?  They both look fine.

Do not ask me.  I agree.  I do not see anything particularly glaring.  Ask Panache.

abdsp51

Anything written in the Mil Times or Military.com should be taken with a grain of salt.  It is not the AFs job to educate the masses it is our job.  As I have said before if we want folks to be aware it is up to us, but BMT and Tech School are not the places for it.  Sorry but until we are considered part of the total force initiative then the AF is not going to educate the masses beyond what they do currently.

jeders

Quote from: LSThiker on January 16, 2014, 02:14:04 PM

You're point?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

LSThiker

Quote from: jeders on January 16, 2014, 02:39:45 PM
You're point?

Well I do not think I am a point.

However, I misread your question.  I thought you were asking where the attached picture was.  My apologies.  My only point was where the picture is located and a very simple description of said picture.

jeders

Quote from: LSThiker on January 16, 2014, 02:45:49 PM
Quote from: jeders on January 16, 2014, 02:39:45 PM
You're point?

Well I do not think I am a point.

Well it could be argued that you are a data point, and your location on a map is represented by a point. It's also possible that I made a typo, but I doubt it.  ;D

LSThiker

Quote from: jeders on January 16, 2014, 02:50:27 PM
Well it could be argued that you are a data point,

I prefer to make data points when I carry out my research.  :)

Devil Doc

Quote from: unmlobo on January 15, 2014, 12:30:47 AM

As an AD member I have had to explain to every supervisor I have had what CAP is.  Whenever my EPR comes around the first time with them I have a packet of things that I bring them re: What CAP is, what quals I have achieved since my last EPR, and whatever numbers I can get a hold of.  Kind of sad considering we are the Auxiliary and almost no one knows what CAP is.  I plan on informing as many as I can at this new base.

As for saluting eh it is what is, salute it if it's shiny, if not pick it up.  If it can't be picked up, paint it.

Actually I was Shocked the other Day, I asked an Co-Worker if they knew what CAP was, they said Ya, wernt they from WW2 or something, Im was in total shock they knew that much.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Mustang

Quote from: Eclipse on January 16, 2014, 02:28:07 PM

Nope, wrong.

Yes Bob, you're right, the law is wrong. (Do you pull this crap with CAP regs too?)

We may always be "the" USAF Auxiliary, but according to that section of federal law, we enjoy auxiliary status ONLY when performing missions for federal agencies. 

The easy way to understand this: if you're performing an AF-assigned (A or B) mission, you have auxiliary status, which provides FECA/FTCA protections.  If you're performing a corporate mission, you don't have auxiliary status, so no FECA/FTCA. 

So yeah,  the AUX ON/AUX OFF distinction remains valid and important. 
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "