funeral of cap members families

Started by smilindrew, November 02, 2013, 12:10:53 PM

smilindrew

If a cadets mom passes away are you allowed to post honor guards at the funeral at the request of the family?

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Private Investigator

Over the years, I have done a few. It is a nice touch and the family appreciates it.

Angus

I've only ever seen an honor guard used for members.  But yes definitely ask up the chain just in case.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

ol'fido

A few years ago, my wing commander's twin brother died in Ohio. He was a retired Navy submariner. The local CAP unit provided an Honor Guard and our wing cc was very appreciative.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Mustang

Unless the deceased was a CAP member (a Cadet Sponsor Member would even be fine) or perhaps a veteran, I don't think it's appropriate.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

RiverAux

I tend to agree with Mustang, if its for a veteran or CAP member whose family has requested it, sure.  But, doing an honor guard for someone who isn't in either of those categories is a little bit of a stretch. 

Mitchell 1969

I see it in a different light. Whether or not the deceased person is a veteran or CAP member is probably a gauge for a strict interpretation. But, I'm looking at it as the question was posed - family member of a CAP member. There is no evil or harm done if CAP does this in order to support their member during a time of grief.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

RiverAux

Evil or cause harm?  No.

The question is whether it is a mission that CAP should be doing.  While doing any sort of of Honor Guard activity isn't a task that seems to fall within the primary purposes of CAP, doing so for our own members seems perfectly appropriate.  And doing so for veterans would more or less be a form of support to the AF. 

The way I see it, providing an honor guard, whether from CAP or the military, is something that those being honored have earned by their service (either in CAP or in the military).  A family member has not. 

Now, as far as I know there is no official guidance on this, so it would be up to the local commander to decide if they wanted to allow this.  If it were me, I wouldn't.  Others may see it differently. 

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: RiverAux on November 11, 2013, 07:34:36 PM
Evil or cause harm?  No.

The question is whether it is a mission that CAP should be doing.  While doing any sort of of Honor Guard activity isn't a task that seems to fall within the primary purposes of CAP, doing so for our own members seems perfectly appropriate.  And doing so for veterans would more or less be a form of support to the AF. 

The way I see it, providing an honor guard, whether from CAP or the military, is something that those being honored have earned by their service (either in CAP or in the military).  A family member has not. 

Now, as far as I know there is no official guidance on this, so it would be up to the local commander to decide if they wanted to allow this.  If it were me, I wouldn't.  Others may see it differently.

And....that's probably where this should have begun and ended. With the local CC. S/he would have the handle on both the need and the capability, as well as the appropriateness (for all we know, the deceased may have baked cookies for every meeting or sewed on patches for dozens of cadets).

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

BillB

Who is to say this Mom didn't drive the cadet to the meetings and pick him/her up afterward? Who washed and ironed the cadets uniforms. Often aparent, while not a member does get involved in the CAP program  and contributes to it. Since there is nothing preventing such an Honor Guard and the family requested it, what is the problem?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Luis R. Ramos

If the mom only drove her son / daughter to meetings, ironed his / her shirt by itself would may not merit a honor guard. However there are parents that go beyond their child's needs. Even though not joining, may be active providing transportation for several cadets. Assists in fund drives. Helps set up room / s for meetings, other events and / or parties. Is as active as other senior members. If this is the case, I would suggest a honor guard. But again this is the prerogative of the local CC.

[Edited]

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Storm Chaser

CAP is not the military. We can provide honor guard for many types of events, including funerals. The decease doesn't have to be a CAP member; a parent, regardless of level of involvement, could certainly receive these services. When I was a cadet, we did these all the time. We also provided honor guard services for sweet sixteens and other similar types of events.

Eclipse

Quote from: Storm Chaser on November 12, 2013, 02:00:19 PMWe also provided honor guard services for sweet sixteens and other similar types of events.

Seriously?

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Well, they were actually quinceaƱeras, but yes. This was, of course, back in the late '80s and early '90s. It was a great recruiting tool and we usually got donations when we did these.

MSG Mac

Even though she may not have been a member, she was still a member of the CAP family. If requested and you have the ability to do-why not?
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member