Uniforms and Rank/Grade

Started by ColonelJack, September 16, 2013, 04:41:39 PM

Garibaldi

Quote from: flyboy1 on September 29, 2013, 06:52:42 PM
I'm not sure if it was shade 1550 or 126. I liked the 1505. It was comfortable and could be starched stiff. The light blue shirt that replaced it was engineered in such a way that the space behind the button hole and the seam always collected lint that had to be removed.

I recall it being called 1550s as a cadet in the early 80s. We had the flat pocket, no epaulet blue shirt until 1982 or 83, when we were authorized to wear the newer shirt we have now, with the pleated pockets and epaulets. I recall my mother trying to alter one of the old shirts and failing, to save money.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: abdsp51 on September 29, 2013, 03:40:26 PM
My source us the USAF heritage center which indicates the khakis were done by 1949.

No way. I think there has been a disconnect in definitions.

The "Shade 1 khakis" were worn through the 50's and into the 60's. Long sleeved shirt, trousers, all cotton, starched. They were true "khaki." They were replaced by the 505's, usually called tan or "silver tan."  Also cotton. They, in turn, were replaced by 1505's, essentially the same as 505's but in a cotton/poly blend.

Those were all "shirt as an outer garment" uniforms, although there was a bush jacket there for a while, ending about '65, which could be worn with them.

Meanwhile, USAF wore the "silver tan" service coat and trousers until 1965. It was the same cut as the blue service coat uniform, but in a lighter weight material and, of course, a tan color. It was worn in Summer and in warmer climes and was replaced by the 1084 blues as an all-season uniform.

The silver tans were not referred to as "khaki," but they were a tan color certainly resembling khaki to anyone who didn't know the term "silver tan."

What DID get done by 1949 is USAF wear of various OD combinations. A horse (and uniform) of a different color.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Grumpy

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on September 29, 2013, 08:13:24 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on September 29, 2013, 03:40:26 PM
My source us the USAF heritage center which indicates the khakis were done by 1949.

No way. I think there has been a disconnect in definitions.

The "Shade 1 khakis" were worn through the 50's and into the 60's. Long sleeved shirt, trousers, all cotton, starched. They were true "khaki." They were replaced by the 505's, usually called tan or "silver tan."  Also cotton. They, in turn, were replaced by 1505's, essentially the same as 505's but in a cotton/poly blend.

Those were all "shirt as an outer garment" uniforms, although there was a bush jacket there for a while, ending about '65, which could be worn with them.

Meanwhile, USAF wore the "silver tan" service coat and trousers until 1965. It was the same cut as the blue service coat uniform, but in a lighter weight material and, of course, a tan color. It was worn in Summer and in warmer climes and was replaced by the 1084 blues as an all-season uniform.

The silver tans were not referred to as "khaki," but they were a tan color certainly resembling khaki to anyone who didn't know the term "silver tan."

What DID get done by 1949 is USAF wear of various OD combinations. A horse (and uniform) of a different color.

Hallelujah!  You are on the money!  I bought and wore the silver tan shirt and  trousers without the "Blouse" from a buddy.  When we wore the tie it was tucked in between the second and third button.  When I was on duty I wore either the 505 or 1505 uniform because the AF was phasing out the 505's.  In 1965 the "silver tans" were gone as well as the 505 uniform, leaving us with the 1505.  My source is me, because I wore all three uniforms.

Out of all of them, I personally thought the "silver tans" were the sharpest looking uniform.

Shuman 14

So to move on... does anyone like my idea idea of a khaki/silver tan Corporate Uniform to replace the current ones and the USAF Style one as a single uniform for all CAP Senior Members?
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Garibaldi

Quote from: shuman14 on September 29, 2013, 11:24:09 PM
So to move on... does anyone like my idea idea of a khaki/silver tan Corporate Uniform to replace the current ones and the USAF Style one as a single uniform for all CAP Senior Members?

Eh...for the historical value, yes. OK? I said it. Yes.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

TarRiverRat

I would love to see us go to this.  It has a historical context to our parent service and slightly to our original WWII uniforms as well.  It would be something that everyone could wear.  Too bad it will never happen. 
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

PHall

It would also be very expensive too. Small market = Big costs.

Shuman 14

Quote from: PHall on September 30, 2013, 12:32:33 AM

I hadn't thought of that.  :(

But how small is the market for the current CAP Corporate uniform coat? That didn't seem to effect the adoption of it.  :-\
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Storm Chaser

Quote from: shuman14 on September 30, 2013, 01:00:16 AM

But how small is the market for the current CAP Corporate uniform coat? That didn't seem to effect the adoption of it.  :-\

There's no CAP corporate uniform coat, only a CAP blazer worn with gray trousers. Most CAP distinctive uniforms are based on existing or commercial clothing items, which can be purchased through different retail or online stores. CAP distinctive insignias, on the other hand, which are available through Vanguard tend to be more expensive and of lesser quality than those similar insignias available through AAFES (many of them from Vanguard) for the Air Force.

SarDragon

I, personally, do not like the idea. My experience with older versions of khaki/tan uniforms has left me with some baggage, and I don't really care to travel that road again.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

You're going to find someone that does not like something about whatever.
So let them pick it and move on.

SarDragon

Quote from: a2capt on September 30, 2013, 01:37:57 AM
You're going to find someone that does not like something about whatever.
So let them pick it and move on.
Oh, no doubt. He asked. I responded. No BFD.  >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Grumpy

It is interesting that our parent organization is so worried about us looking like it does that it's taking years to make a ---- decision on what we can wear.  The Young Marines wear the same thing their parent organization does.  And then there's the other cadet organization that wears the same uniform to include metal rank but they wear a shoulder patch.  I'm sorry if I offended any here by not naming the organization because I they are awesome, I just can't remember the correct title at the moment.

Anyway I think we could wear the same BDU/ACU as the Air Force, just wear our colored patches (wing patches, squadron patches, nice bright blues Civil Air Patrol and name patches) all that.  That's what they have us doing now.  Just apply it to the new uniform.  What's so hard about that?

We're told that we are such a big help to the Air Force and how much we do for them.  Treat us like it and keep it simple!

Gad, you got me going now.😡

vento

I am sure it has its historical value but I doubt the general public will ever understand it. They will just think that we are the NAVY (no disrespect to the NAVY).

SunDog

Ah, gee, I probably would vote "no ", if it was the one and only approved uniform, and the polo was eliminated as an option. But if you can get your idea adopted, I wouldn't run screaming away, either. It'd look okay, probably wear well enough. Probably get us a little bit of psychological/cultural distance from big blue, too.

Not a wholly bad thing, right? Not a divorce, just germinate a little attitude change? Run things a little more like a VFD, a little less like a USAF org? Note I said a LITTLE less, before anyone blows a seam. . .

Shuman 14

Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 30, 2013, 01:20:53 AM

There's no CAP corporate uniform coat, only a CAP blazer worn with gray trousers. Most CAP distinctive uniforms are based on existing or commercial clothing items, which can be purchased through different retail or online stores. CAP distinctive insignias, on the other hand, which are available through Vanguard tend to be more expensive and of lesser quality than those similar insignias available through AAFES (many of them from Vanguard) for the Air Force.

So this coat:

was NOT designed specifically for CAP as a Corporate Uniform?

I get that the shirt is a commercial white shirt and the trousers, tie and any headgear (ie hat) are most likely USAF uniform standard issue items, but the coat doesn't look cheap and is used by no one else that I know of.  ???
Joseph J. Clune

Shuman 14

Quote from: SarDragon on September 30, 2013, 01:34:47 AM
I, personally, do not like the idea. My experience with older versions of khaki/tan uniforms has left me with some baggage, and I don't really care to travel that road again.

So if they were they made of the same material as the current USAF Blue uniform... just khaki in color... would that change your mind?
Joseph J. Clune

Shuman 14

Quote from: SunDog on September 30, 2013, 02:29:49 AM

Ah, gee, I probably would vote "no ", if it was the one and only approved uniform, and the polo was eliminated as an option. But if you can get your idea adopted, I wouldn't run screaming away, either. It'd look okay, probably wear well enough. Probably get us a little bit of psychological/cultural distance from big blue, too.

Not a wholly bad thing, right? Not a divorce, just germinate a little attitude change? Run things a little more like a VFD, a little less like a USAF org? Note I said a LITTLE less, before anyone blows a seam. . .

Fair enough from my stand point.

BTW, I wouldn't eliminate the polo option, just change the trouser color to khaki from grey to go with the whole "Corporate branding" color of khaki.
Joseph J. Clune

TarRiverRat

Quote from: shuman14 on September 30, 2013, 02:37:10 AM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 30, 2013, 01:20:53 AM

So this coat:

was NOT designed specifically for CAP as a Corporate Uniform?

I get that the shirt is a commercial white shirt and the trousers, tie and any headgear (ie hat) are most likely USAF uniform standard issue items, but the coat doesn't look cheap and is used by no one else that I know of.  ???

No longer part of our Corp Uniform.
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

Майор Хаткевич

A shame. Even with the CAP cutouts and the gray slides it was a sharp combo.