Uniforms and Rank/Grade

Started by ColonelJack, September 16, 2013, 04:41:39 PM

PHall

The only CAP aircraft where shorts are normally allowed are sailplanes.

Critical AOA

Quote from: Panache on September 27, 2013, 03:44:58 AM
What's wrong with gray pants with the blue polo in the first place?  If it's not broken...

I wouldn't characterize it as broken. My personal opinion is that the blue polo looks much better with khaki though it looks ok with grey. The white aviator probably looks better with grey to most people but it also looks fine with khaki in my opinion.  So while I would prefer khaki, I would have no major objections to staying with the grey as long as a medium or even lighter grey is chosen and cargo style pants are the norm. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Critical AOA

Quote from: PHall on September 27, 2013, 08:50:10 PM
The only CAP aircraft where shorts are normally allowed are sailplanes.

Some wings have a summer uniform policy that allows shorts to be worn while flying when it is above a certain temperature.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

a2capt

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on September 27, 2013, 09:51:23 PMSome wings have a summer uniform policy that allows shorts to be worn while flying when it is above a certain temperature.
Which is ironic since temperature drops at altitude. ;)

SunDog

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll start busting on my Wing next spring. . .

Dropping is relative; 103 to 100 isn't too much relief. I wished it akways dropped with altitude, though sometimes it doesn't, of course.

lordmonar

Quote from: SunDog on September 27, 2013, 07:01:49 PMAnyway, Nomex makes at least as much sense as woodland camo, but the some people like it, so no harm done. . .

Yes that is true...they are both an affection.  We want to wear BDU's because we want to be like our parent organization.  Same story with the ABU and blues.   I don't think anyone has ever said otherwise.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Critical AOA

Quote from: a2capt on September 27, 2013, 10:25:58 PM
Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on September 27, 2013, 09:51:23 PMSome wings have a summer uniform policy that allows shorts to be worn while flying when it is above a certain temperature.

Which might be okay if you are flying high bird where your altitude gain might result in a sufficient enough temperature drop.   

Critical AOA

Quote from: lordmonar on September 27, 2013, 11:31:31 PM
Quote from: SunDog on September 27, 2013, 07:01:49 PMAnyway, Nomex makes at least as much sense as woodland camo, but the some people like it, so no harm done. . .

Yes that is true...they are both an affection.  We want to wear BDU's because we want to be like our parent organization.  Same story with the ABU and blues.   I don't think anyone has ever said otherwise.

They are more like the controlling authority than parent organization. 

SunDog

And a long sleeve T-shirt would be nice, maybe two? One light, one dark? Cotton, not poly. . .Screen-print logo? With a pocket, like the polo? On a cool fall day, cargo pants, long sleeve T-shirt, something like lightweight, or low cut, hiking boots? And/or black low-quarters? Run down to REI and buy it all, except the T-shirt?

My blue nomex is wearing well, but I can't remember now where I bought it. I'll have to research that, or go sage green as a backup, if I suffer a wardrobe failure.

I had one of those  "utility" bags long ago, but it was fairly cheesy material, with junk hardware/zippers. Looked like a flight suit, only baggy? Not sure what that was, exactly? A coverall they didn't want go call a flight suit, but configured much the same. Pretty sure I got that from the CAP vendor.

All blue-sky, I imagine. Pretty sure we won't get the T-shirts, lightweight other options, shorts, etc., either. I'll stick with nomex-winter, polo-summer; can't see CAP dropping either, as they're both too practical and pervasive, especially with aircrew.

Майор Хаткевич

Shuman 14

Quote from: flyer333555 on September 26, 2013, 03:47:28 PM
I will give you that our white shirt with the epaulettes will not look so good with a khaki pant. But I still do not connect the khaki pant as being casual or informal. So if we are to retain the gray grades, gross they will look with the khakis...

Flyer

I agree but if CAP were to adopt the Khaki Corporate uniform, there would be no need to continue to wear grey anything.

Simple adopt current USAF rank slides or go truly old-school and wear pin on rank on the shirt collars.

BTW the Khaki Corporate uniform would REPLACE the white shirt and grey trousers, current Corporate Airline-style and the USAF-style uniform for Seniors.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

SunDog

Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 28, 2013, 12:53:08 AM
Practical how?

The polo shirt? I think because it's simple as a crow-bar, inexpensive, light-weight, has a useful little pocket for a pencil, and if you have some plain, black oxfords or coaches shoes, and some gray slacks, you are uniformed. You can roll it all up in a re-cycled gocery bag and have it in your car, if you like. I think it's the most tolerable combo for flying in very hot and very humid weather.

For the flight suit, other than not melting, or continuing to burn once you escape the flames? I think it is also simple, has useful pockets to hold multiple pencils, an Afin/Dristan inhaler,  AND a little "last resort" pen light. Also your hat, shades, etc. All on your person, secure, in easy reach.  Even summer-weight Nomex holds heat, so it works O.K. in the cold, maybe with long-johns, or a long-sleeved T-shirt under it, depending on how cold.

Someone said blunt force kills most GA fatal accident victims - which may be accurate, for all I know; not really the point, though, is it? If you get squished, true, you don't care if you're wearing Nomex or an evening gown. . . But if you ain't squished, and you're sitting in a steadily expanding pool of flaming gasoline, Mr. Nomex is your friend. Or, at keast not your enemy, like Mr. Polyester.

abdsp51

Quote from: shuman14 on September 28, 2013, 01:19:53 AM

I agree but if CAP were to adopt the Khaki Corporate uniform, there would be no need to continue to wear grey anything.

Simple adopt current USAF rank slides or go truly old-school and wear pin on rank on the shirt collars.

BTW the Khaki Corporate uniform would REPLACE the white shirt and grey trousers, current Corporate Airline-style and the USAF-style uniform for Seniors.

Not going to happen.  And the bolded areas will definitely not happen.  I think you should fix your own branches uniform issues before trying to fix ours.

Shuman 14

I agree the US  Army's uniform is alittle jacked up right now.

Berets - suck as a headgear... which is why I wear my Barracks Cover when ever I can. So unless someone higher in the chain of command says "Everyone in berets... for uniformity purposes" I wear my bus driver.

Class A/Dress Blues - not a bad uniform. Except that now they want to add every bit of bling from the old Greens to the new Blues which makes a once sharp dress uniform into a Blue Christmas Tree.

Class B - Paul Blart, Mall Cop... need I say more.

ACUs - a fine camo uniform that works perfectly in a small part of Iraq... and nowhere else. At least Congress is fixing that one for us.

BTW if the CAP was to adopt a Khaki Corporate uniform, why do you believe the current USAF rank slides wouldn't be adopted? No one will confuse you for a USAF officer if you are in Khaki?
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

abdsp51

Quote from: shuman14 on September 28, 2013, 03:15:41 AM
I agree the US  Army's uniform is alittle jacked up right now.

Berets - suck as a headgear... which is why I wear my Barracks Cover when ever I can. So unless someone higher in the chain of command says "Everyone in berets... for uniformity purposes" I wear my bus driver.

Class A/Dress Blues - not a bad uniform. Except that now they want to add every bit of bling from the old Greens to the new Blues which makes a once sharp dress uniform into a Blue Christmas Tree.

Class B - Paul Blart, Mall Cop... need I say more.

ACUs - a fine camo uniform that works perfectly in a small part of Iraq... and nowhere else. At least Congress is fixing that one for us.

BTW if the CAP was to adopt a Khaki Corporate uniform, why do you believe the current USAF rank slides wouldn't be adopted? No one will confuse you for a USAF officer if you are in Khaki?

Let's start with why you think Khaki would be adopted? And really blue slides on a khaki anything hideous. We had blue slides and they were phased out.  We need to move forward with the uniform and not back.  There is enough distinction with what we have now to alleviate confusion.  And in case you have forgotten the AF has to approve the uniforms for us and changes, and I do not see them approving blue slides regardless of what color the uniform is.  Switching colors would not be cost effective to membership even with a phase out period.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SunDog on September 28, 2013, 01:55:53 AM
Practical how?

The polo shirt? I think because it's simple as a crow-bar, inexpensive, light-weight, has a useful little pocket for a pencil, and if you have some plain, black oxfords or coaches shoes, and some gray slacks, you are uniformed. You can roll it all up in a re-cycled gocery bag and have it in your car, if you like. I think it's the most tolerable combo for flying in very hot and very humid weather.

For the flight suit, other than not melting, or continuing to burn once you escape the flames? I think it is also simple, has useful pockets to hold multiple pencils, an Afin/Dristan inhaler,  AND a little "last resort" pen light. Also your hat, shades, etc. All on your person, secure, in easy reach.  Even summer-weight Nomex holds heat, so it works O.K. in the cold, maybe with long-johns, or a long-sleeved T-shirt under it, depending on how cold.

Someone said blunt force kills most GA fatal accident victims - which may be accurate, for all I know; not really the point, though, is it? If you get squished, true, you don't care if you're wearing Nomex or an evening gown. . . But if you ain't squished, and you're sitting in a steadily expanding pool of flaming gasoline, Mr. Nomex is your friend. Or, at keast not your enemy, like Mr. Polyester.

I can't quite get past your love of the polo, yet also the flight suit. Any reasons you give for the polo negate the nomex. Any for the flight suit negate the polo...

Shuman 14

Quote from: abdsp51 on September 28, 2013, 03:34:37 AM

Let's start with why you think Khaki would be adopted? And really blue slides on a khaki anything hideous. We had blue slides and they were phased out.  We need to move forward with the uniform and not back.  There is enough distinction with what we have now to alleviate confusion.  And in case you have forgotten the AF has to approve the uniforms for us and changes, and I do not see them approving blue slides regardless of what color the uniform is.  Switching colors would not be cost effective to membership even with a phase out period.

I never said it would... the original poster asked for thoughts on uniforms... I threw out some thoughts.

It's my observation that many members, as addressed here and other threads in CAP Talk are unhappy with the situation of their uniforms.

Be it the grey/maroon/blue rank slides, the various Corporate uniforms, or the second class citizen status for USAF style uniforms if you're of larger stature or furry of the face.

I suggested Khaki... a strong color... an American color... and CAP's first uniform color.

BTW, Blue on Khaki doesn't look "hideous", the USAF did it for years.

No more hideous then light grey on blue.  ;)
Joseph J. Clune

Panache

Quote from: SunDog on September 27, 2013, 06:06:07 PM
That straw hat is growing on  me - I trhink you mean a skimmer type, though, right? Not a real Panama? I have a nice cream-colored Panama. . .

I was kidding, but while we're at it... flip-flops too!   >:D

SunDog

Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 28, 2013, 05:08:41 AM
Quote from: SunDog on September 28, 2013, 01:55:53 AM
Practical how?

I can't quite get past your love of the polo, yet also the flight suit. Any reasons you give for the polo negate the nomex. Any for the flight suit negate the polo...

?????

Think of it this way, then. . .I wear the Nomex for protection, until it just gets too hot to be tolerable, then I accept the loss of protection -accept the burn risk vs degraded personal performance from heat effects. Still leaves me 8 or 9 months of flying in Nomex. I 'm covered in Nomex 66-75% of the time. Not as good as 100, better than zero.

But I'd want to keep the polo even if flying in Nomex all the time - for all the reasons not related to flying; it's inexpensive, easy to care for, comfortable enough, easy to haul around, etc. If I wear gray slacks to work, I can stuff it in my gym bag, pull it on in the john or parking lot, and drive straight to a meeting.

It's a minimal uniform, which seems to me practical for most of what I do with CAP.

lordmonar

Quote from: a2capt on September 27, 2013, 10:25:58 PM
It can still be pretty hot at altitude.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP