Uniforms and Rank/Grade

Started by ColonelJack, September 16, 2013, 04:41:39 PM

Luis R. Ramos

I will give you that our white shirt with the epaulettes will not look so good with a khaki pant. But I still do not connect the khaki pant as being casual or informal. So if we are to retain the gray grades, gross they will look with the khakis...

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

I gotta go with the consensus - not saying they won't look OK, but khaki pants are pretty much the definition of "corporate types trying to look casual".

Why would we wear khaki with white?

Khaki with dark blue golf shirt and stay with the gray for the aviator whites.

Everyone has a pair of khaki dockers and dress gray pants.  If they don't, they should.  That's a staple of the American male's wardrobe.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

This is what Wikipedia (which I know is not authoritative) says about Khakis:
In Western fashion, it is a standard color for smart casual dress trousers for civilians. (emphasis mine)
This, obviously, refers to the type of pants most people wear (Dockers, Wranglers, etc.) and not the color itself, which is and has been used in U.S. military uniforms, although not with white shirts and gray epaulets.

JeffDG

Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 26, 2013, 04:24:03 PM
This is what Wikipedia (which I know is not authoritative) says about Khakis:
In Western fashion, it is a standard color for smart casual dress trousers for civilians. (emphasis mine)
Not anymore it doesn't!

Storm Chaser

^ We can agree to disagree. That said, I doubt CAP would approve a white/khaki uniform combination. If they did, I wouldn't wear it, given other alternatives.

Brad

Well CAP does/did have the VSAF combo of the blue polo and khaki pants:

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/VSAF_007132D493071.pdf

Anyone heard anything about this creature lately? Or is it still in indefinite holding pattern at the two testbed bases?
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Eclipse

^ I would say that search the KB for the term, and the fact that a number of articles have been removed from the National web site
are a good indication of the status of program.

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

What's wrong with gray pants with the blue polo in the first place?  If it's not broken...

SarDragon

Quote from: Panache on September 27, 2013, 03:44:58 AM
What's wrong with gray pants with the blue polo in the first place?  If it's not broken...

A lot of members think that it is broken.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SarDragon on September 27, 2013, 04:07:10 AM
Quote from: Panache on September 27, 2013, 03:44:58 AM

A lot of members think that it is broken.

I think the polo needs to go...away.

Panache

Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 27, 2013, 04:12:44 AM
I think the polo needs to go...away.

Oh, I think it's good for what it was designed for.  And I kinda like the gray-with-navy.  /shrug

Incidentally, the squadron commander had a closed-door meeting with the cadets last week to get their input on how they think things were going what needs improvement.  Apparently a number of cadets were concerned about the lack of structure and military bearing among the senior members.  Our standard uniform for senior members is the polo-and-gray-pants.  The impression I got is that the cadets don't particularly like the senior members in this uniform during composite meetings.

I suspect we'll be switching to blues/G&W's or BDU/BBDUS for the senior members as standard wear.

abdsp51

Quote from: Panache on September 27, 2013, 04:30:26 AM
I suspect we'll be switching to blues/G&W's or BDU/BBDUS for the senior members as standard wear.

That's the standard for us.

SunDog

I think we need shorts to go with the polo shirt, cargo style, maybe. . . Black, brown, navy, or gray. Black or gray sneaks, a'la coache's shoes, with or without socks.

Or, let the polo stand-alone, and wear whatever you please with it as pants; jeans, shorts, cargo, whatever.

It gets REAL hot and REAL humid in our AOR.  Gets nasty in the aiplane, just saying. . .I hink glider ops has ome leeway, wearing shorts. . .

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: abdsp51 on September 27, 2013, 04:38:10 AM
Quote from: Panache on September 27, 2013, 04:30:26 AM

That's the standard for us.

As they should be around cadets anyway. People complain that we have too many uniforms. Always suggest dumping G/WS for Blues.  That wont ever happen, so dumping the polos makes a lot more sense. Now you show up at an activity in a utility uniform, and there are only two, not three. Having a more formal event? Mr. Goober doesn't show up underdressed in a polo. While we're at it, dump the flightsuits. If someone can fly in a polo, they cant claim they need a flight suit. Utility uniforms work just fine.

Panache

Quote from: SunDog on September 27, 2013, 04:40:03 AM
I think we need shorts to go with the polo shirt, cargo style, maybe. . . Black, brown, navy, or gray. Black or gray sneaks, a'la coache's shoes, with or without socks.

And a straw panama-style hat!  Finally, my wish for standardized headgear has been answered!

SunDog

:)

I dunno - straw hat might be a little over the top - but if it works for you, that's cool? Maybe allow sun visors, too? I see those on aircrew anyway, though what's worn in the plane, stays in the plane. I had a combo of visor and sweat band - it looked stupid, but they kept the sun and sweat out of my eyes. Both had logos, though, so I (usually) only wore them in the airplane.

I'd like some lightweight, cotton shorts - make the rule a "solid color" to keep the Madras prints out - gray, black, and navy, maybe? And wear whatever pants I wore to work, somedays? Just pull on the polo and go? If it's casual Friday, and I'm in jeans, at least it's safer than some poly-blend. . .

Don't think dropping the Nomex is a good idea - aircrew is already sitting too close to several hundred pounds of low flash point, high explosive, liquid fuel.  Fire hazard higher there than in turbine aircraft - JP-x/Jet A  is quite a bit safer to drag around that 100LL. Not so long ago I got a soaking of 100LL when the primer failed. Makes you think about fabrics that melt. Guess you could hope blunt force or smoke inhalation killes you quick. . .

I guess I could have a tailor do me up some gray slacks and a polo in Nomex? $$$$, though. . . truly, I wear the polo in hot weather flying becasue it's the lightest option. Just take the chance the Nomex won't be needed.  But in the winter I wear a flightsuit (Blue Nomex, 'cause my sqdn likes the blue uni's.). Just hope the impact occurs in Feb, vs Aug, I guess? 

Wonder what CAP thinks about the guys who are wearing helmets now? I'm not gonna, but one dead-on bird-strike might change someone's mind. I've seen helmets a couple of times now. . a red one and a blue one, no adornment. But someone is gonna decorate one of 'em eventually - maybe a Rebel flag or a Viking's paint job?

Funny how pseudo-safety, operations, and appearance wrangle a bit? Image and impact, all that stuff? Some guys will wrap themselves around the axle over a W&B on a C-172  with two guys in it, but not think twice about them launching out of an airport that has zero options for a good outcome if the engine quits. Hey, if it's in the AFD, it's good to go! Don't stop for groceries in the wrong uniform, but blast off in an approved polyester that'll melt like cheese. . .

Common aspects of human organizations, I imagine. . .

That straw hat is growing on  me - I trhink you mean a skimmer type, though, right? Not a real Panama? I have a nice cream-colored Panama. . .

Eclipse

Quote from: SunDog on September 27, 2013, 06:06:07 PMDon't think dropping the Nomex is a good idea - aircrew is already sitting too close to several hundred pounds of low flash point, high explosive, liquid fuel.  Fire hazard higher there than in turbine aircraft - JP-x/Jet A  is quite a bit safer to drag around that 100LL. Not so long ago I got a soaking of 100LL when the primer failed. Makes you think about fabrics that melt. Guess you could hope blunt force or smoke inhalation killes you quick. . .

So shorts are OK, but we still need Nomex?  Nomex flight suits are an affectation, nothing more.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on September 27, 2013, 06:15:07 PM
Quote from: SunDog on September 27, 2013, 06:06:07 PMDon't think dropping the Nomex is a good idea - aircrew is already sitting too close to several hundred pounds of low flash point, high explosive, liquid fuel.  Fire hazard higher there than in turbine aircraft - JP-x/Jet A  is quite a bit safer to drag around that 100LL. Not so long ago I got a soaking of 100LL when the primer failed. Makes you think about fabrics that melt. Guess you could hope blunt force or smoke inhalation killes you quick. . .

So shorts  and polosare OK, but we still need Nomex?  Nomex flight suits are an affectation, nothing more.

Fixed that for you. But as I said, you know, for some the Polo and Flight suit are simply a MUST!

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on September 27, 2013, 06:15:07 PM

So shorts are OK, but we still need Nomex?  Nomex flight suits are an affectation, nothing more.
+1  (and I wear my flight suit anytime I can).  If we are going to address safety of flight.....we would be better served by requiring flight helmets instead of flight suits.  You are much more likely to be killed by blunt force trauma to the head in a GA crash than killed or injured by fire.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SunDog

I also have Nomex long-johns, left over from USAF days - I don't THINK they are an affectation, since no one can see them. . .and they are light-weight, and you get that layer-effect.

I don't beleive the blue Nomex is an affectation, either; I have leftover sage green bags; I think I'd be wearing those if I was looking to appear Ace of the Base. I just like being cool in the summer, and warm the winter. And if can be warm AND not have my clothing melt into my skin as I struggle to kick out a window, it's a bonus!

Anyway, Nomex makes at least as much sense as woodland camo, but the some people like it, so no harm done. . .

The blue bag makes you look like an EMT or other first reposnder, maybe. Which, really is closer to what we are than military, anyway. I think I mmentioned a CC who likened us to a volunteer fire department, more than a a refuse worker

Now, speaking of affectations, that silly (fill in the name of the uniform you find most obecjtionable) combo should be dropped immediatley, and all who prefer it 2B'ed ASAP....