Professionalism among cadets

Started by Pulsar, September 14, 2013, 05:53:29 PM

Pulsar

When you know cadets that lack professionalism and goof off excessively in public ( in uniform), how do you show them the importance of profe. ?  Especially if they don't take it's importance seriously.  :(

C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Eclipse

If they are goofing off in public, out of uniform, assuming it's not a CAP activity, then it's really not CAP's concern, beyond
behavior that might be violations of our regs and get them terminated.

Within the lines of CAP, the best course is to model the behavior you seek, and insure consequences for incorrect
behavior are appropriate and swift.

"Consequences" are not something to be dealt out by cadets to other cadets.  Report the issue up the chain and
leave it to the senior staff to remediate.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Although professionalism is important in the cadet program, the vast majority of cadets are still kids.   That does not mean it needs to be over looked.  What it means is that it takes time to instill that professionalism based on age.  Ive seen 16-17 even 18 yr old C/LTCs and C/Cols.  Although mature, they are still young and learning.  As a cadet looking to them, they may seem like they are the symbol of maturity and professionalism.  As an adult looking at them, they are still teenagers.

So I would just say to insure what you are calling unprofessional, isnt just youthful age appropriate behavior that may just need refined a little as they develope.  Because Ive also met many a cadet who take themselves WAAAAAY to seriously!

lordmonar

Remember that most Cadets are still Kids.....and Kids goof off.

You need to be more specific on their behavior before I venture a guess on what can be done.

Basically if they got noting to do....they are going to goof off.   If they are not closely supervised they are going to goof off.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Pulsar

Quote from: lordmonar on September 14, 2013, 06:48:21 PM

You need to be more specific on their behavior before I venture a guess on what can be done.

Basically if they got noting to do....they are going to goof off.   If they are not closely supervised they are going to goof off.

occasional inappropriate remarks, stuff like that,  in uniform.
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

lordmonar

Quote from: Pulsar on September 14, 2013, 06:53:38 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on September 14, 2013, 06:48:21 PM

occasional inappropriate remarks, stuff like that,  in uniform.
Define inappropriate.   
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

^ Not to mention you started the thread "whether in uniform or not". Hard to provide advice when the variables change.

"That Others May Zoom"