Main Menu

Really? ABU's?

Started by Blackhawk, September 06, 2013, 07:14:10 PM

Elioron

Quote from: shuman14 on October 22, 2013, 02:14:17 AM
Just so you know the reason for the Congress getting envolved has to do with the "perceived" problem of too many camouflage patterns in theater.
Yes.  The current draft does limit any new camouflage uniforms of any kind, but it is unclear if it will include changing uniforms to a non-camouflage pattern while at home.  Nor is it clear if the USCG will get caught up in it, whether by intent or by wording that lumps them in.

There is still a lot to be ironed out before it's all said and done.  It will be interesting to see what comes out.
Scott W. Dean, Capt, CAP
CDS/DOS/ITO/Comm/LGT/Admin - CP
PCR-WA-019

PHall

Quote from: shuman14 on October 22, 2013, 12:56:17 AM
but if all the uniformed Services (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, Public Health Service and NOAA Corps) are forced by Congress to adopt one single Field/Utility camouflage uniform, it ceases to be just an "Air Force" uniform and becomes a "United States Armed Forces" uniform

Funny, they didn't call it the "United States Armed Forces" uniform when all of the services were wearing BDU's.

Eclipse

Quote from: Elioron on October 22, 2013, 02:41:07 AM
Quote from: shuman14 on October 22, 2013, 02:14:17 AM
Just so you know the reason for the Congress getting envolved has to do with the "perceived" problem of too many camouflage patterns in theater.
Yes.  The current draft does limit any new camouflage uniforms of any kind, but it is unclear if it will include changing uniforms to a non-camouflage pattern while at home.  Nor is it clear if the USCG will get caught up in it, whether by intent or by wording that lumps them in.

Just as camo is useless for CAP SAR, you could certainly ask what use a field uniform is to service members sitting in an office.  There are much better alternatives for
general office wear and less expensive alternatives for hard / dirty duties like aircraft repair, etc.  An infantryman might spend most of his life in the field or field training,
but most Airmen don't.  That also opens the kettle of fish about UAV pilots being in flight suits, etc.

Quote from: Elioron on October 22, 2013, 02:41:07 AM
There is still a lot to be ironed out before it's all said and done.  It will be interesting to see what comes out.

You're not supposed to iron field uniforms.

"That Others May Zoom"

Elioron

Quote from: Eclipse on October 22, 2013, 02:46:17 AM
Just as camo is useless for CAP SAR, you could certainly ask what use a field uniform is to service members sitting in an office.  There are much better alternatives for
general office wear and less expensive alternatives for hard / dirty duties like aircraft repair, etc.  An infantryman might spend most of his life in the field or field training,
but most Airmen don't.  That also opens the kettle of fish about UAV pilots being in flight suits, etc.
Now you're just making too much sense.

Quote from: Eclipse on October 22, 2013, 02:46:17 AM
You're not supposed to iron field uniforms.
But how are we supposed to cut paper with the creases in our BDUs if they aren't starched and ironed into oblivion?!  ;D
Scott W. Dean, Capt, CAP
CDS/DOS/ITO/Comm/LGT/Admin - CP
PCR-WA-019

Panache

Quote from: Elioron on October 22, 2013, 12:25:24 AM
The disadvantage is that it is not and has never been a uniform of the USAF.  It would be a shame to lose that connection which has been a tradition for over 70 years.

Well, a connection for about half the CAP membership, anyway.

NIN

Quote from: PHall on October 22, 2013, 02:41:48 AM
Quote from: shuman14 on October 22, 2013, 12:56:17 AM
but if all the uniformed Services (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, Public Health Service and NOAA Corps) are forced by Congress to adopt one single Field/Utility camouflage uniform, it ceases to be just an "Air Force" uniform and becomes a "United States Armed Forces" uniform

Funny, they didn't call it the "United States Armed Forces" uniform when all of the services were wearing BDU's.

Probably because it "just happened."  There was no real effort to "Get all the services into one uniform."

Then, suddenly, everybody was wearing something else.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

abdsp51

I would personally like to see a current, and reliable source about a unified uniform outside of the Times, Military.com, kitup etc.  Everything I have pulled up has been old information.

Eclipse

Quote from: abdsp51 on October 22, 2013, 04:24:16 PM
I would personally like to see a current, and reliable source about a unified uniform outside of the Times, Military.com, kitup etc.  Everything I have pulled up has been old information.

Most of the stories are just syndication of the same news, however the GAO >did< issue their report on the waste regarding the multiple patterns,
and the House Armed Services Committee directed a change by 2018, so it's definitely in the diaspora.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Diaspora?

What do you mean here?

Do you really know what the word means without looking it up?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on October 22, 2013, 10:58:53 PM
Diaspora?

What do you mean here?

Do you really know what the word means without looking it up?

Yes, I do, at least in it's more modern use it refers to the social coherence of a group or community, or the general "background noise" of an organization, etc.
It can also refer to distributed understanding or information not owned by anyone in particular.

I'll grant that is a more modern use of the word, and it's traditional definition doesn't fit here.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Sorry, I couldn't find a "modern" definition.

Dictionary.com sez:

any group migration or flight from a country or region. Synonyms: dispersion, dissemination, migration, displacement, scattering.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

People also use diaspora to mean records or writings about a group. Such as poems, books, novels. This use it is more or less like what Eclipse states.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

ProdigalJim

People also use apostrophe-S to make plurals, confuse impact and effect, and turn every available unwitting noun that walks by into a verb...

Some new forms of usage invigorate the language, while others muddy it or ignore other perfectly good and serviceable words.

I'm not sure how I feel about this new "diaspora" coinage; it seems to have emerged from the world of IT, whose other major linguistic contribution to date seems to be the horrid "solution" applied to darn near everything.  ???
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Eclipse

Quote from: ProdigalJim on October 24, 2013, 09:59:31 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this new "diaspora" coinage; it seems to have emerged from the world of IT, whose other major linguistic contribution to date seems to be the horrid "solution" applied to darn near everything billable

Fixed that fer 'ya!

"That Others May Zoom"

ProdigalJim

^^^^

One of the few times I wish we had a "Like" button...
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

NIN

Quote from: ProdigalJim on October 24, 2013, 09:59:31 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this new "diaspora" coinage; it seems to have emerged from the world of IT, whose other major linguistic contribution to date seems to be the horrid "solution" applied to darn near everything.  ???

Hey man, that "solution" is my bread & butter
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Panache

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 17, 2013, 05:35:04 AM

On a more "to the point" off topic point, this week our cadet staff petitioned, and received approval to go from wearing safety vests to wearing PT belts when working outside in the parking lot. I would have pushed for a full repeal, but I suppose for the purposes of drill/inspection/other outside this will have to do.

Sometimes you can't make this stuff up.

A Superheroic Caped Crusade to Keep Troops Safe in Afghanistan

QuoteBagram Batman also enforces the most important rule of all: Don't forget your reflective belt, lest you be hit by the hulking Mine-Resistant Ambush-Protected vehicles that roar in darkness through the base's main drag.

Shuman 14

Quote from: HeadHunter06 on December 13, 2013, 07:39:52 AM
Once more, into the breach:
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/article/20131212/NEWS/312120029?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Well it does make sense, if troops, regardless of Service, are "outside the wire" they should be in one combat uniform... if nothing else except for Mark-1 Eyeball identification by perimeter security.

That being said, it doesn't make a lot of sense for a Navy or Coast Guard member to wear a floral camouflage uniform when working on the deck of a ship. So I can see a Service specific "working" uniform continuing to be used in Garrison or on non-forward deployed vessels.

My opinion here as to what this means to CAP... as soon as this Multi-Service Combat Uniform is approved... CAP will be authorized ABUs as the USAF dumps off stocks of surplus uniforms.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Panache

(pours gasoline)

Quote from: shuman14 on December 13, 2013, 08:24:06 AM
My opinion here as to what this means to CAP... as soon as this Multi-Service Combat Uniform is approved... CAP will be authorized ABUs as the USAF dumps off stocks of surplus uniforms.

Ooooh!  This means CAP will also be allowed to wear MARPAT's soon, right?  Maybe when the new 39-1 is released?

(tosses lit match, walks away)