Department of Homeland Security (DHS)

Started by Blackhawk, September 04, 2013, 04:23:43 PM

Blackhawk

Has anyone worked with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and if so, what kind of work and experience was it? I understand there may be some FOUO topics, but over all, was your experience good, fulfilling, productive, etc?

ol'fido

Sorry...OPSEC you know. FOUO. >:D
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Phil Hirons, Jr.

ColonelJack

....then he'd have to kill you.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Eclipse

They've always seemed very nice at the airport, though I would prefer to not have to take off my shoes...

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Who are the ome's? What do they need secured?

tsrup

did someone say omelets?
Paramedic
hang-around.

PA Guy

Quote from: HeadHunter06 on September 04, 2013, 04:23:43 PM
Has anyone worked with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and if so, what kind of work and experience was it? I understand there may be some FOUO topics, but over all, was your experience good, fulfilling, productive, etc?

The DHS is made up of mult agencies such as FEMA, TSA, Coast Guard etc. each with their own culture and flavor.  Could you be more specific about which agency you are interested in?

Blackhawk

Any of the agencies, how effective is interagency cooperation, etc.

Eclipse

In what regard? 

CAP has a very narrow lane and a small role with DHS agencies, especially in regards to HLS.

Most wings don't really have an HLS mission, and those that do aren't going to be inclined to
discuss much of it in the open.

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

My viewpoints on just a few of the numerous DHS agencies.

Coast Guard - awesome, often heroic.

FEMA – Well-meaning and much needed but burdened with typical government bureaucracy.

TSA- Clueless keystone cops on steroids.

CBP / ICE- Failing miserably.

There are many others but these are the ones that my personal observations have allowed me to form opinions on.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Luis R. Ramos

David-

What qualifications do you have where you have to interact with them? Am I wrong or did you say on a previous post you were/are a policeman? If so, where? A police pilot...? EMT/Paramedic...?

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

SunDog

I can speak to Coast Guard a bit; smart, competetive officer corps, solid NCO base. Suffering from mission creep and spread thin. The bureacracy is surprisingly dense for such a small service - CAP's body count is larger than CG's. But CG is also very agile in surge or emergency situations. Everyone at CG  knows everyone else, and can cut through the knots when needed. Officer and enlisted quality is very high now, as a result of the poor economy. Some forced attrition has occurred (up or out for junior officers,  "force shaping" for enlisted.)

CG, IMHO, interoperates/ cooperates as well or better than any federal agency. They cross paths with DoD, DoJ, the Intel Community, and the rest of DHS. CG is tbe 400 pound gorilla in DHS.

DHS, at the Dept level, is lightly regarded - not all that effective -serves some of the need to collaborate via policy and Secretary level direction. But CG has more influence on the Hill than its parent DHS.

Flying Pig

Quote from: HeadHunter06 on September 04, 2013, 10:26:24 PM
Any of the agencies, how effective is interagency cooperation, etc.

You have really no idea how vague your question is.  There are several agencies that fall under the DHS umbrella but they are still separate agencies with their own culture and chains of command.  For example, The Federal Protective Service and the US Coast Guard..... both under DHS, neither one has anything to do with the other.  So your question is not really answerable in the context that you are asking.  Ive interacted with several DHS agencies on almost a daily basis. 

Blackhawk

Its only vague for you; I want to know how interaction with DHS has been, I never specified an specific agency of DHS. I'm interested in interagency relations in the full spectrum of operations with DHS. How about coming down from the CT stump and sharing your specific experiences (that you can) with the forum.

Eclipse

Quote from: HeadHunter06 on September 06, 2013, 06:40:39 PM
Its only vague for you; I want to know how interaction with DHS has been, I never specified an specific agency of DHS. I'm interested in interagency relations in the full spectrum of operations with DHS. How about coming down from the CT stump and sharing your specific experiences (that you can) with the forum.

Interaction with CAP and DHS, or DHS internally in general?  If the latter, relevance?

"That Others May Zoom"

Blackhawk

Either. DHS as a whole, to include all of its sub organizations. I'm an academic, but this post isn't about me; it's about the relationship between CAP and DHS.

Eclipse

Then I think your question has been answered to the extent it can be on an open forum.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Quote from: HeadHunter06 on September 06, 2013, 06:40:39 PM

Huh?  Im sorry... was being an internet tough guy warranted somewhere? 

PA Guy

I have a fair amount of experience with several DHS agencies like the Coast Guard, FEMA.  I was also the project director of a program funded by DHS, MMRS http://www.bt.cdc.gov/planning/CoopAgreementAward/presentations/mmrs-oep10minbriefing-jim11.pdf .

As a MMRS director I never dealt with DHS even though they funded the program.  DHS gave the funds to the Dept of Health and Human Services and my contact was a USPHS commissioned corps officer.

While with FEMA I never dealt with anyone from DHS.

DHS interaction with the Coast Guard only extends to the USCG Commandant level.  The Commandant directs and commands the CG. 

DHS is simply an administrative headquarters for mult agencies. The DHS interaction with their subordinate agencies stops at the director level i.e. Director of FEMA, Commandant of the Coast Guard etc.