Class topic ideas

Started by luv2fly97, August 02, 2013, 04:59:20 AM

luv2fly97

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for class topics to teach to NCOs.

If ya'll could give me any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

coudano

on the spot correction
what it is, how to make it.

hip pocket training.
what it is.
how to develop and use it.

AngelWings

The ideas of practical leadership. For example:

Leading from the front. This skill is crucial for an NCO because they are the direct leaders of the Airmen. It's important for the NCO to be a crisp image to the cadets. I always showed the values of hard work, professional behavior, and I maintained an open door policy with my cadets. Lead by example. I've seen people in CAP personally lead with the mentality of "Do as I say and not as I do, and if you don't, I'll make sure to call you on it." time and again, which is completely wrong.

How to be efficient as a lower tier leader. This topic would be about how to keep the Chain of Command running effectively and smoothly so what needs to get done will get done on a timely manner. This type of class would be more of a discussion of local policy on handling CoC matters, since every squadron is somewhat unique in terms of how they pass information from the top to the bottom and vice versa.

When you need to be out in the front and when you need to let someone else have a chance. The Airman at the bottom of the CoC will never get hands on experience if he doesn't get a chance to run the flight around in drill, or PT, or a class, or whatever. Give the small guy a whack at leadership every once and a while, and council him. This class would be used to create a system that is practical for the squadron.

Assign each Airman an NCO that'll mentor them every so often. The mentoring process will help cadets learn what they're doing great and what they're doing wrong. Everyone needs some mentoring every once in a while, especially the little guy, because they're new and may not truly know what they're doing or not is right. This class would be about how to mentor and should end up with a mentoring chart.

ALL CLASSES YOU TEACH SHOULD LEAD TO ACTION AND KNOWLEDGE.

What's the point of giving your NCO's knowledge is you're not applying it to the squadron? Every class that is taught should create action and be applied. No one needs to hear how to run a Fortune 500 company if they're not going to apply at the squadron. No one needs to hear how to PT better if they're not going to apply it. All classes should be "working classes" where you give the NCO's knowledge and then apply it. They'll see how it works, and then you can hit them with an AAR to show them that what you taught is effective.

Flying Pig

Close Air Support for the basic infantryman! 

Actually.... When I was in the Marines we had a small series of leadership classes on the topic that you did not have to be the person in charge to be a leader. That ended with a guest speaker who had won the Silver Star in Vietnam as a 19yr old PFC. He took over when his Plt Sgt was killed and the brand new 2LT was wounded in an ambush.

There is a book titled The 360 degree leader by John Maxwell.  Ive read it many times. You could teach topics out of that book for years to come. It discusses how a person an lead from any level in an organization.