Blue Field Uniform

Started by Mela_007, July 12, 2013, 03:44:17 PM

♠SARKID♠

vento

Quote from: Eclipse on August 27, 2013, 02:16:06 AM
I think "charcoal" is too dark.

You're looking for something like this:

http://bdu.com/mens-propper-lightweight-tactical-pants/gray#/654/0,656/1

^^^ I own a pair of this and I am wearing it today. It's on the light grey side of the spectrum (as compared to the epaulet). Somehow the picture makes it look darker. 

On the other hand, the grey BDU is actually closer to the color of the epaulet but, again, somehow the picture makes it look much much lighter.

Not that the epaulet matter since these pants are to be worn with the Golf shirt only, but it is a good reference for grey.

http://bdu.com/propper-poly-cotton-ripstop-bdu-pants/gray

skymaster

Here is the "official" page from the Propper contractor catalogue in reference to the tactical pants previously mentioned, including their colour shade chart. Their "grey" colour matches the CAP Officer shoulder marks more closely than the "charcoal" which is almost black.

Also (not to derail the tread), but the same catalogue has some very decent image of the ABU uniform items, if someone would like those posted, if someone (with better Photoshop skills than I) would like to create a better idea of what the "silver on navy blue" tapes and insignia would look like on the proposed CAP version of the ABU. My thinking is, that since it is just an image, and not an actual ABU, that hopefully some members on this board won't be as likely to jump my case about not having authorisation to purchase ABU items.

Mela_007

As a lady, finding the tactical pants was difficult for me (plus size)...as you likely noticed from the early part of this thread.  I am still going to get another pair of gray pants and I am hoping they are a tougher material than the slacks I have right now. 

Either way, I'll need the BDU style uniform for ground team use.  I'll worry about what kind of AF-style uniform is current when I make weight standards and am authorized to wear it.  I do feel out of place somewhat at a SAREX being the only person in a Field Uniform, but I am ok with the fact that I am in a uniform that is properly marked and I'm authorized to wear.  I have seen pics of senior members that are obviously not within weight requirements wearing the BDUs, but that isn't going to be me.  I will not disrespect the USAF by wearing a uniform I'm not authorized to wear.  Nobody at the SAREX acted in any way differently towards me due to my Field Uniform (thought a couple cadets and parents were confused), so it's no biggy.
"Worry is the Darkroom in which negatives develop."  -Unknown

SarDragon

According to the guidance on the KB, the correct medium gray is darker than the grade slides.

Quote from: Mela_007 on August 27, 2013, 05:38:57 PMI do feel out of place somewhat at a SAREX being the only person in a Field Uniform, but I am ok with the fact that I am in a uniform that is properly marked and I'm authorized to wear.

Don't feel out of place. I wear BBDUs because I have a beard, and do my job(s) just as well as I would w/o the fuzz, and in AF-style uniforms.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

I wear BBDUs because I have a 25 pound bag in my gut. :)

Mela_007

Thanks, it's good to know I'm not the only one out there wearing the BBDUs.  It just happened to be that way at the only two SAREX that I have attended thus far.

SarDragon

I have been the only one in BBDUs at an event several times, and it's never been a problem. On top of that, I'm easy to find.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Certainly in the minority most of the time, even if others should be wearing them.

Mela_007

I never thought about that SarDragron...you are not camouflaged, with the rest of the camouflage!  lol

Private Investigator

Quote from: Mela_007 on August 28, 2013, 12:20:11 AM
Thanks, it's good to know I'm not the only one out there wearing the BBDUs.  It just happened to be that way at the only two SAREX that I have attended thus far.

My Wing Commander wears BBDUs to our SAREXs and he sets a great example for others to follow since he can wear the BDUs legitimately and correctly.   :clap:

davedove

Not only that, with the different uniform, outsiders think you must be the super-secret special skills guy! 8)

Quote from: SarDragon on August 28, 2013, 03:06:32 AM
I have been the only one in BBDUs at an event several times, and it's never been a problem. On top of that, I'm easy to find.  ;)
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

vento

Quote from: skymaster on August 27, 2013, 04:07:01 PM
Here is the "official" page from the Propper contractor catalogue in reference to the tactical pants previously mentioned, including their colour shade chart. Their "grey" colour matches the CAP Officer shoulder marks more closely than the "charcoal" which is almost black.

Skymaster, I can only wish that their official catalog was actually accurate.
Here're what I actually own and they are both Propper. The one on the left is the grey tactical pant and the one on the right is the grey BDU. Got both from bdu.com. I actually thought that they sent me the wrong grey tactical, but another member who purchased it from a different source ended up with the same color that I have.

Eclipse

The ones on the left are what I and everyone else in my wing wears.  The ones on the right are too dark.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Again, the darker ones more closely fit the info on the KB.

http://capnhq.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/204/0/filename/Med_gray-chart.htm

I know, the KB isn't regulatory, but it is guidance.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Mela_007

Glad to hear your Wing Commander wears them and is eligible to wear the regular style.  Super-secret special skills guy (gal in my case), cool, that works for me.  Just gotta get the skills to go with it.  Lots of learning to go.

vento

Quote from: SarDragon on August 28, 2013, 09:00:46 PM

I am soooo looking forward to the next revision of CAPM 39-1.    :angel:

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: vento on August 28, 2013, 09:28:58 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on August 28, 2013, 09:00:46 PM

I am soooo looking forward to the next revision of CAPM 39-1.    :angel:

Doubt it will change anything. Until there's a "This is what you get" clause, the gray will be up to interpretation of everyone's closet/closest store.

SarDragon

Given the very skillful combination of the two graphics, I'll go for the Propper gray BDU.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

I would tend to agree, except that in the context of the golf shirt, which is where you would use these, anything darker then the ones on the left
look too dark.

If you were wearing these with the aviators, itd be a different story because you have other gray to compare it to and the shirt is obviously bright.

It's in the contrast where things go sideways.

"That Others May Zoom"