Main Menu

Blue Field Uniform

Started by Mela_007, July 12, 2013, 03:44:17 PM

IndySartech

I don't believe the Vanguard Ones are RipStop, or if they are, the one I bought was sub-standard!

Майор Хаткевич

I got nonripstop bbdus in winter weight...sigh

Garibaldi

Quote from: IndySartech on August 01, 2013, 08:15:55 PM
I don't believe the Vanguard Ones are RipStop, or if they are, the one I bought was sub-standard!

Welcome aboard, Indy!

--Yoda
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

AngelWings

I never got the reason why they stock Winter Weight BlueDU's. They could stock only Summer Weight rip-stop that is extremely good in the summer but sucks in the winter and possibly hit you with a BlueDU jacket for the winter!

Майор Хаткевич

I never had issues in IL with ripstop in the winter. I would like the option to layer underneath rather than be forced into winter weight year round.

Eclipse

Ditto - I much prefer lighter weight everything and adding layers where rarely needed.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: IndySartech on August 01, 2013, 08:15:55 PM

What else did you get at the PX?

And welcome aboard the C T ....  8)

Mela_007

My Vanguard order arrived yesterday (BBDU)!!   :D  I'm not sure how hot or rip-stop the uniform will be yet, but at least it fits.  It could fit better in some areas, but I think it will be close enough to look proper.  If not, I'll have it altered later.  I got the patches and tapes so all that is left is to get everything sewed on!  YAY!!  Thanks for everyone's help on this subject!!!!  You all are great! :clap:
"Worry is the Darkroom in which negatives develop."  -Unknown

Mela_007

I have a question for you all.  I have looked thoroughly through 39-1 and the March 2012 change letter and I cannot find one specific bit of information that applies to me.  Both regs mention what do to on the Field Uniform for officer insignia, but not what to do if you are a SM without grade.  They both say what to do on the BDUs, which is the CAP with ultramarine background on both collars.  But I cannot find the directions for a SM member wearing a Field Uniform.  They say what to do about the cap (no insignia) for a SM too, but not the uniform itself...unless I'm missing it.

Do you know what the regulation is?  If so, where am I missing it?  I have purchased the CAP because it makes sense that the CAP would be right since the Field Uniform is the BDU equivalent, but I do not have them sewn on yet.  Any advice would be appreciated.   :-\

Eclipse

Same thing on the collars - two embroidered CAP "cutouts".

The BDU and blue field unifrom are configured the same, with the only difference being not being allowed to wear any military badges above the tapes.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on August 25, 2013, 06:04:35 PM
Same thing on the collars - two embroidered CAP "cutouts".

The BDU and blue field unifrom are configured the same, with the only difference being not being allowed to wear any military badges above the tapes.
Still wish cloth cutouts were phased out. They don't really serve a whole lot of purpose now.

Mela_007

Thanks, that's what I thought (which is why I purchased them). 

One more probably dumb question.  The regs say white on ultramarine blue insignia, but for 2d Lt and Maj the ranks are not white.  I assume that part in the reg is just to distinguish between a white thread versus a silver thread on those insignia which would be that color, correct?

Eclipse

Yes - white on ultramarine, not silver.   If you get the from VG, they should have the proper type.

With that said, the word from the conference was that the tapes will soon be changed to dark blue with silver, so if you haven't bought them yet, and
can wait, you might want to hold off for a couple months.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

The reference to white is not the thread you sew it on, but the white being the insignia on the ultramarine blue. Everything is white on ultramarine except those grade insignia you mention.  Since those symbols are re-used, the thread color changes.

In this era of color, I find it far clearer to simply show the badges, insignia and say "these are the authorized ones". Where as when the manual was printed in gray scale only, that would have potentially shown 1/2 Lt, & Major/Lt Col with the same thing.

Eclipse

Duh - missed butter bar and major question.  ^+1

"That Others May Zoom"

Mela_007

Thanks for the warning about the potential change in tape color.  Since I'm a new CAP member and a Ground Team Trainee, I need an appropriate BDU style uniform now.  I'm not planning on tromping through the woods in my gray slacks and loafers.   ;)    Also, too late...I've already purchased the ultramarine tapes and a few reverse flags, oh well. 

I have been following the National Board uniform change thread, so I noticed the possible uniform changes coming up.  The bummer part is more that I just got the things sewed on and I am not looking forward to taking them off and sewing on the new ones in just a few months! 

The one advantage that I have is that I am not currently authorized to wear the regular BDUs (my goal for next year).  Because of that I got the Field Uniform which hopefully will stay in use.  By the time I make weight next year and am ready to wear the AF-style uniform hopefully the new uniform regs will be out and I will be able to get a uniform that will be good for a while.

Eclipse

Assuming approval, there's likely to be a multi-year phase in on the new tapes.

Some people will have them day-1, but that's not required.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mela_007

38ffems

So to clarify, Charcoal tactical pants?  Not trolling, need pants and this thread seemed to have a better grasp on the tactical pants.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"