Main Menu

Shoe Shine Kit

Started by ARandomCadet, July 05, 2013, 05:49:25 AM

ARandomCadet

What should I have in a good shoe shine kit? I know I need black polish, but what is the best? Anything to help me with making my boots look good (my dress shoes are pre-shined, and are like mirrors). Also there is not  anything else pertaining to shoe shine except for the one about kiwi vs. Lincoln. Thanks.

TJT__98

My shoeshine kit is one can of Kiwi and one old white undershirt, and I can get a great shine on my boots.
C/MSgt
Wright Award 21322

FlyTiger77

Before the Army tried to single-handedly put the shoeshine industry out of business, my kit included an applicator brush, a buffing brush, a toothbrush (for getting polish on top of the soles), a can of Kiwi and a 100% cotton t-shirt purpose-bought for shining shoes (never worn or washed).

The main ingredient, though, in a good shoe shine kit is a large helping of patience.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Walkman

1 tin of Lincoln Stain Wax, I shoe brush & a foam applicator is what I use.

NIN

Quote from: ILikePlanes on July 05, 2013, 05:49:25 AM
What should I have in a good shoe shine kit? I know I need black polish, but what is the best? Anything to help me with making my boots look good (my dress shoes are pre-shined, and are like mirrors). Also there is not  anything else pertaining to shoe shine except for the one about kiwi vs. Lincoln. Thanks.

I'm preferable to Kiwi and have been for 30+ years. Some folks prefer Lincoln. I think it is substantially personal preference. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

The Kiwi is fine for legitimatiely shinable-boots and shoes, this for tac boots:

I was silly enough to buy Corfam polish years ago from somewhere, but Windex or 409 works just as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

I'm a kiwi and horsehair brush kind of guy. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Archer

-Can of regular Kiwi
-Can of Parade Gloss
-Cotton tee shirt
-Toothbrush
-Heatable water receptacle
-Hot plate
-Time
-Rubbing alcohol

a2capt

We didn't have a hot plate at encampment.

Just a Guy, Kiwi and a cotton t-shirt.

Mirrors, in minutes. That was what he did.

Archer

Quote from: a2capt on July 06, 2013, 12:54:32 AM
We didn't have a hot plate at encampment.

Just a Guy, Kiwi and a cotton t-shirt.

Yeah, the most basic tools are just some form of cotton and some Kiwi. All the other stuff I mentioned just makes it a bit less time-consuming; you get the same shine either way.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: a2capt on July 06, 2013, 12:54:32 AM

Mastering just the right amount of pressure is the key.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Al Sayre

For a really high gloss shine, about once a month drop them off at the local Cobbler downtown (usually about $5 to $10) and give him a couple extra bucks tip.  You've got better things to do than waste your study time shining boots...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

ARandomCadet

Quote from: Al Sayre on July 06, 2013, 01:49:13 AM
For a really high gloss shine, about once a month drop them off at the local Cobbler downtown (usually about $5 to $10) and give him a couple extra bucks tip.  You've got better things to do than waste your study time shining boots...
My dad had me go to the shoe shine downtown, and get my boots shined when I first got them. He said it would make it easier to shine later on, if I got the shoe shine downtown to shine it for me. I brought the boots in, got them shined for 10 bucks.

Terry W.

I have edge dressing as well.