School is out for the SUMMER! What does that mean in your area?

Started by Major Carrales, May 31, 2013, 06:31:49 PM

Black Knight

I still have 7 days of classes left and >:( then 5days of final exams. :(
C/CMSgt Millson
First Sergeant
Rome City School District Cadet Squadron
NER-NY-801

Private Investigator

Experienced Squadrons manage it well, others not so much.

Black Knight

But in the summer, our attendance drops dramatically. But know since we only have 15 cadets, Im not sure whats going to happen
C/CMSgt Millson
First Sergeant
Rome City School District Cadet Squadron
NER-NY-801

PHall

My squadron goes "dark" during encampment. Most of the staff, cadet and senior plus a good chunk of the cadets are there already.

Critical AOA

Quote from: Peeka on May 31, 2013, 08:16:44 PM
Quote from: unmlobo on May 31, 2013, 07:40:52 PM
Oh God it is so hot.  Hmm let's do outdoors meeting at the heat of the day.  Safety are you ready for dehydration and heat exhaustion? 
"Members will refrain from using profanities..."~ Membership Code of Conduct   :-\

Great Zeus!  May Thor strike them down!!
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Spaceman3750

For me, it means that scheduling people, aircraft, and vehicles will require an act of God for the next two months.

unmlobo

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on June 02, 2013, 12:56:44 AM
For me, it means that scheduling people, aircraft, and vehicles will require an act of God for the next two months.

Careful with the use of a higher deity... >:D
Major, CAP
HI WG

That Anonymous Guy

Quote from: JerseyCadet on June 01, 2013, 05:35:56 AM
We still have three more weeks of school, as do most schools where Sandy hit.

Also being from the Jersey Shore, we have a summer tourism based economy, which almost every single member of the squadron supports in some way. Most SM's have day job year round so it doesn't really affect their attendance of CAP, but our cadet side takes a hurting. We easily get less than half of our regular season crew in attendance. Also, we can't plan any trips/events/o-flights in the summer either.
I was thinking of visiting a Jersey Shore squadron this summer. Should I wait until the offseason?

Dad2-4

For many, the use of God's name as a superlative is still quite offensive despite its becoming more common every day, especially the long version of OMG. One should make every effort to refrain from blaspheming the name of anyone's deity. To make light of it perhaps demonstrates a lack of respect.

To the OP, summer has always shown to be detrimental to membership numbers and attendance in the squadrons I've been attached to. Everyone is hyped for Encampment of other special activities at the end of the school year, then when they get home it's time to chill out and do lot's of nothing. Then when August and September roll around it's a struggle to get everyone motivated again.
Having a full claendar of meaningful and/or fun events planned throughout the summer is one key to keeping up the momentum. Family vacations are understandable, but make sure members know that things aren't stopping, and when they get back they are still needed.

Major Carrales

Folks, please don't derail this thread with ridiculous side talk about nonsense.  >:(  I was really hoping for something more useful because this is an issue I, and others, are facing.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

PHall

Quote from: Major Carrales on June 04, 2013, 01:19:47 AM
Folks, please don't derail this thread with ridiculous side talk about nonsense.  >:(  I was really hoping for something more useful because this is an issue I, and others, are facing.

Joe, you've been on CAPTalk for how long?  Just what did you expect, that we all learned how to stay on topic? ::)

AngelWings

Quote from: PHall on June 04, 2013, 02:10:59 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on June 04, 2013, 01:19:47 AM

Joe, you've been on CAPTalk for how long?  Just what did you expect, that we all learned how to stay on topic? ::)
I came back hoping we did, but I guess it's too impossible.