Main Menu

Class B?

Started by bmiller, May 31, 2013, 03:35:42 AM

LegacyAirman

The Air Force had Combinations (sounds better than "Class") when I first enlisted in 1975:

Men's Combination 1 - Service Coat
Men's Combination 2 - Light Blue Long Sleeve Shirt with tie
Men's Combination 3 - Dark Blue Wool Long Sleeve Shirt with tie
Men's Combination 4 - Short Sleeve Blue Shirt (no tie)
etc.
The utility uniform at the time ("fatigues") was simply designated Utility Uniform.
Somewhat different uniforms than today, but you get the idea.

Just in case some of you are curious, the dark blue wool long sleeve shirt (long gone) was optional, but popular at "northern tier" bases. The light blue shirt with epaulets was a then new option. I was issued a long sleeve shirt without epaulets that could only be worn under your Service Coat. The Short Sleeve Shirt at the time didn't have epaulets and wasn't designed to be worn with a tie. Epaulets came a bit later. It didn't even have a top button. And yes, there was still a tan short sleeve uniform, Combination 4a, which was phased out 30 Sept 1978.

Although I'd have to research it in my AFR uniform archive, I believe that system existed way longer than the older Army style "Classes". Too bad the Air Force (and by extension, then CAP) didn't go back to that.

PHall

Quote from: LegacyAirman on June 01, 2013, 04:33:11 PM
The Air Force had Combinations (sounds better than "Class") when I first enlisted in 1975:

etc.
The utility uniform at the time ("fatigues") was simply designated Utility Uniform.

Just in case some of you are curious, the dark blue wool long sleeve shirt (long gone) was optional, but popular at "northern tier" bases. The light blue shirt with epaulets was a then new option. I was issued a long sleeve shirt without epaulets that could only be worn under your Service Coat. The Short Sleeve Shirt at the time didn't have epaulets and wasn't designed to be worn with a tie. Epaulets came a bit later. It didn't even have a top button. And yes, there was still a tan short sleeve uniform, Combination 4a, which was phased out 30 Sept 1978.

Although I'd have to research it in my AFR uniform archive, I believe that system existed way longer than the older Army style "Classes". Too bad the Air Force (and by extension, then CAP) didn't go back to that.

When the light blue shirts came out in 1975(ish), the one with epaulets was for officers and the one without epaulets was for enlisted. Just like the Service Dress Jackets today.

Didn't take too long for somebody to figure out that if they authorized the shirts with epaulets for everyone they could discontinue the one without epaulets and save a bunch of money.

Too bad that kind of logic is not common today. ::)

Private Investigator

Quote from: LegacyAirman on June 01, 2013, 04:33:11 PM... And yes, there was still a tan short sleeve uniform, Combination 4a, which was phased out 30 Sept 1978.

CAP should go to tan short sleeve. Always a fave of mine, JMHO

PHall

Quote from: Private Investigator on June 01, 2013, 08:29:37 PM
Quote from: LegacyAirman on June 01, 2013, 04:33:11 PM... And yes, there was still a tan short sleeve uniform, Combination 4a, which was phased out 30 Sept 1978.

You got a reasonably priced source for those shirts?

Storm Chaser

Quote from: PHall on June 02, 2013, 12:26:33 AM
You got a reasonably priced source for those shirts?

CAPMart?  ;D

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Storm Chaser

Walmart was my second option.

Private Investigator

Walmart and Dickies, that would be perfect. Great minds have great ideals   :clap:

BTW, I am a member of CERT and that is our UOD   8)

Shuman 14

I don't know what the khaki uniform was called in the USAF but in the Army is was TW's, for Tropical Worsted.

Always thought TW's were a sharp uniform for the Army and the Air Force, I believe they were the same, the only difference was blue versus black belt, silver versus gold buckle and blue versus green garrison or barracks cover.

Maybe there's a possible suggestion for a new corporate uniform, a modern poly-wool blend in wash-n-wear format.

Pin on rank on right collar, pin on CAP cut outs on the left, blue belt with silver buckle with blue flight and/or combination cover.

Sharp, traditional, American yet not military (well at least not anymore  ;) ).
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Private Investigator

Quote from: shuman14 on June 26, 2013, 01:18:45 AM

I don't know what the khaki uniform was called in the USAF but in the Army is was TW's, for Tropical Worsted.

Always thought TW's were a sharp uniform for the Army and the Air Force, I believe they were the same, the only difference was blue versus black belt, silver versus gold buckle and blue versus green garrison or barracks cover.

Maybe there's a possible suggestion for a new corporate uniform, a modern poly-wool blend in wash-n-wear format.

Pin on rank on right collar, pin on CAP cut outs on the left, blue belt with silver buckle with blue flight and/or combination cover.

Sharp, traditional, American yet not military (well at least not anymore  ;) ).

That would be quite sharp IMHO tanks for the memories   8)

Luis R. Ramos

As the Army, the Army Air Corps, and the United States Air Force has evolved, so has the uniforms and the terminology related to uniforms.

Up to 1941 it was very clear.

The Army had only one uniform for winter wwar whether it was winter or summer.

The Army Summer Service Uniform was the khaki. It was worn for field service and office. There were some small items you wore at the field or at the office. Sam Browne belt was worn by officers. One crossed over the shoulder belt in garrison two in the field, for example. Winter Service Uniform was wool olive. Worn in winter.

To protect this uniform, there was the fatigue work clothes. Note it was not called "uniform," just work clothes. These could be worn over the Service uniform or alone. It was used whenever the duties were not in the field or office. This included mowing grass, painting buildings or rocks. Any heavy-duty work not in combat. From 1917 to 1941 the color at times was brown, at other times blue.

In 1941 the Army came with the M41 HBT Fatigues. [/i]That stood for Model of 1941 Herringbone Twill Fatigues. These were green, to be worn in the same manner as fatigues before. The Army introduced many uniform items in this era that did away with the so-called Summer Service Uniform [/b]and Winter Service Uniform concept.

Did you know that the Service Coat was originally supposed to be used in the field?

It can trace its origins to the closed-collar at the neck blouse worn during WW I. In 1927 Chief of Staff MacArthur, yep, the MacArthur of Pacific fame, ordered it be modified with a modern look. In 1940 a field coat was introduced which evolved into the 1943 Field Jacket. The Service Coat was relegated to office wear. During 1941 to 1945, the concept of A's and B's was developed to take into account the many, many ways to wear these uniform combinations.

In some cases soldiers were supposed to wear their helmets and gas masks, at other times they were supposed to have the helmets, gas masks with the M41 HBT, at others the Summer Service, and so on. This was spelled out in an SOP that sometimes ran out to three or four pages outlining the many permutations of the UOD.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

LegacyAirman

Quote from: PHall on June 01, 2013, 06:06:12 PM
Quote from: LegacyAirman on June 01, 2013, 04:33:11 PM

etc.

When the light blue shirts came out in 1975(ish), the one with epaulets was for officers and the one without epaulets was for enlisted. Just like the Service Dress Jackets today.

Didn't take too long for somebody to figure out that if they authorized the shirts with epaulets for everyone they could discontinue the one without epaulets and save a bunch of money.

Too bad that kind of logic is not common today. ::)

I finally looked in copies of the AFRs and found that the long sleeve came out first in AFR 35-10 dated 15 July 1977. The convertible (tie/open collar) short sleeve was authorized in 35-10 dated 18 July 1980. Neither was officer only at any time. That would violate the initial principle of Air Force uniforms- "All Airmen, officer and enlisted members, would wear the same basic uniform, distinguished only by rank insignia and hat emblems." I could only find that here http://www.spangdahlem.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123114141, but I know I've seen that elsewhere. It was only the Air Force version of HWSNBN that decided to take the epaulets off of some uniforms after almost 45 years, in addition to many other changes (just to leave his mark on the Air Force >:().

jhsmith400

During the time my father was active duty, for a while they had blue shirts with ties that had no markings or epaulets at all, he was in AC&W inside work.  They wore rank and badges on the service coat only, and if they took them off at their workstations the jacket went on if you left the workstation.  This was in the time of the Ike jackets, at no time did you wear fatigues, they were for work and field activities only, and flight suits were for just that, flying, you left the A/C you changed asap, ground folks never ever wore flight suits unless they were part of an operational flight crew, not like today when everyone, just about, wears one.  Just a historical sidebar.