Grade vs. Rank Question

Started by C/2d Lt, May 27, 2013, 10:39:12 PM

C/2d Lt

I am currently our squadrons first sergeant and in a week I will be receiving my Mitchell Award.  That week was traditionally our squadrons staff changes however with a wing inspection coming in in two weeks we have decided to hold off staff changes until then, avoid confusion in front of wing. Technically I will be the first sergeant and a 2nd Lt. In formation I would be the first sergeant, however, before the meeting and after if I were to walk into the room with cadet NCO's would they call the room to attention? What would the customs and courtesies include?

Any help is appreciated!

C/1st Lt Neuman                                                 Cadet Executive Officer    NER-NY- 135                                    

Kansas Wing Winter Encampment ES Flight-2012       *GTM3, MRO, UDF, FLM, MSA
New York Wing Encampment-
              2012- Golf Flight Inflight
              2013- Charlie Flight Commander- Honor Flight for the Encampment
              2014- Squadron 2 Commander

lordmonar

a)  What sort of wing inspection?
b)  In what way do you want to avoid confusion in front of wing?
c)  No problem with a 2d Lt serving as First Sergeant.....you give the same courtesies to you as they would to any other first sergeant in formation.
Outside of formation they treat you just like any other officer.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

First, this isn't a "grade" vs. " rank" question.

You're an officer, correct?  Your staff job is irrelevant.
If you are the highest cadet officer entering the room, and the situation is appropriate, the room should be brought to attention.

No different then if Maj Gen Courter decided to serve as Fiance officer for a local squadron.  She's still wearing 2-stars, regardless of her job.

"That Others May Zoom"

C/2d Lt

Thank you for all of your help, it is appreciated.
C/1st Lt Neuman                                                 Cadet Executive Officer    NER-NY- 135                                    

Kansas Wing Winter Encampment ES Flight-2012       *GTM3, MRO, UDF, FLM, MSA
New York Wing Encampment-
              2012- Golf Flight Inflight
              2013- Charlie Flight Commander- Honor Flight for the Encampment
              2014- Squadron 2 Commander