Honor Guard Questions

Started by MajorPayne, May 27, 2013, 09:58:42 PM

MajorPayne

Hello all and happy Memorial Day,

I am in the process of putting together information regarding the formation of an honor guard. Honor Guard is something that I have always had an interest in trying and seeing in how I will be leaving CAP in one year for college, I would like to form one in my group (or at least get the ball rolling). I realize that I will have to get the group and wing commanders approval; however I do not feel I will have any problems with that.

As of the present, I am gathering information regarding the approximate costs of equipment. My idea is to let prospective Honor Guardsmen know the approximate costs of equipment. I plan on inquiring whether or not the squadron will be able to pitch in some money for a few rifles. So far the only gear I can think of is the following:

Honor Guard Service Cap
Belt
Bib
Rifle
Chord
Gloves

I know that I am probably missing some gear and I would appreciate it if you would inform me of what I'm missing. I also was curious if most members buy their own gear or borrow certain items that the squadron(s) has on hand. My last question is where to find the CAP Honor Guard Service Cap. Is it simply a company grade officer's cap with a chin strap, or do they sell a special Honor Guard version?

This is something that I would really like to try and I appreciate all your responses, ideas, and information :)
"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go, if he doesnt mind who gets the credit."
Ronald Reagan

C/CMSgt Payne
Charlie Flight Commander
Group 7 CAC represenative

Eclipse

You're doing this backwards - >any< activity where people start asking how much the extra bling costs, or how much they can
wear is doomed to misguided at best.

>Start< with finding an appropriate number of cadets who are interested in putting in the appropriate amount of time to
practice and get it right.  Get yourselves to some level of ability, and then worry about the accouterments.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on May 27, 2013, 10:52:15 PM
You're doing this backwards - >any< activity where people start asking how much the extra bling costs, or how much they can
wear is doomed to misguided at best.

>Start< with finding an appropriate number of cadets who are interested in putting in the appropriate amount of time to
practice and get it right.  Get yourselves to some level of ability, and then worry about the accouterments.
He has got to know how much those cadets are going to have to shell out before he can go in search of cadets able to do it.

Gathering information is ALWAYS the first step.

Get off your ANTI BLING HIGH HORSE!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

BTDT - cadets spend hours agonizing over rifles, ascots, etc., etc., then at some point actually get around to practicing and
realize how much work it is just to get proficient in posting colors properly, let alone what it takes to be on an honor guard
and the stuff goes in a Rubbermaid container and never touched again.

>ANY< activity in CAP that begins with "what kind of bling" do I get, special uniform can I wear" is doomed to failure before you start, and that includes
a lot of the way members attack ES.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Can you guys take your personal arguement to PM's please.
The cadet came looking for infomation, not opinions...

MajorPayne, the infomation you seek should be in CAP 52-8, the CAP Honor Guard Program.

arajca

To the OP's question:

Honor Guard Service Cap - $45 + chin strap ($?) + neck strap ($?) + cap device ($17?)
Belt - $20 average
Bib - without HG patch - $10
Rifle - $100 - $300 depending on quality and source
Chord - $15
Gloves - $15

Check Vanguard and Parade Store for more details.

Danger

"Never take anything too seriously."

MajorPayne

Thank you all for the responses. Eclipse, I am not trying to be a bling junkie. I am merely gathering the facts to present a logical plan to my squadron commander. With money being tight these days, I had to know if the idea would even be feasible. However I see how that could have been mistaken in the original post. I will make sure to check out the manual and do my reading. As for commitment, I am currently the assistant commander of our squadron's color guard team and have competed in competition before. So although I have not done honor guard, I have a pretty good idea of how much time, patience, and dedication is required to succeed. Thank you all for the help!
"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go, if he doesnt mind who gets the credit."
Ronald Reagan

C/CMSgt Payne
Charlie Flight Commander
Group 7 CAC represenative

Flying Pig

What about getting the Honor Guard together first just using the basic blues with ribbons?  Once that is together, trained and proficient, then work on some fund raisers to add some other items that you may want?   Definitely not a problem to get your numbers, but I would suggest you get a team together, get trained and give it some time to see how much you are actually going to be used.  That can be a lot of money to spend for a position that might only last a few months to a year.  Lets face it... a year in the life of a cadet is an eternity. 

I am of the belief that Honor Guards wear to much.  My HG with my Sheriff Dept used to wear our long sleeve shirt and tie combo with a smokey.  Now.... they went to this unbelievable atrocity of uniforms. It literally is an EXACT version of USMC dress blues with a smokey only the uniform is olive drab with gold piping.  It has the high collar, everything. We have more patent leather, gold cords and honor guard pins than I can stand.  But Oh well.... Im not the guy they asked.