Cadet super chart question

Started by Schultheis, May 14, 2013, 03:10:58 AM

Schultheis

Why is there no First Sergeant rank on the cadet super chart? I have been in for about a month so don't be too harsh on me if I'm oblivious to this.

abdsp51

Because there is no such rank as First Sergeant in Civil Air Patrol it is a position. 

PHall

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 14, 2013, 03:15:42 AM
Because there is no such rank as First Sergeant in Civil Air Patrol it is a position.

Because in Civil Air Patrol, just like the Air Force, First Sergeant is a position, not a grade.
Just like Commander is a position and not a grade.

BillB

Under the older cadet programs, there was an insignia for 1st Sgt. A diamond on the cloth stripes. Butthat was discontinued several years ago when it became a position, not a grade.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

PHall

Quote from: BillB on May 14, 2013, 12:40:40 PM
Under the older cadet programs, there was an insignia for 1st Sgt. A diamond on the cloth stripes. Butthat was discontinued several years ago when it became a position, not a grade.

It never, ever, was a grade, period.......

Storm Chaser

Quote from: BillB on May 14, 2013, 12:40:40 PM

I joined CAP in 1987 and it wasn't a grade then either; you added the diamond (which was a standalone insignia) to your rank if you had the position of First Sergeant.

First Sergeant is a rank (not a grade) in the U.S. Army where it ranks ahead of Master Sergeant, but it is the same grade (E-8). In the U.S. Air Force, First Sergeant is a special duty position that is normally held by a Master Sergeant (E-7), but can also be held by a Senior or Chief Master Sergeant (E-8 and E-9 respectively) in some units. While they wear a distinctive rank insignia with a diamond while assigned to that position, they do not rank above other Master Sergeants. Their position does report directly to the commander, unlike most other senior NCOs.

In CAP, the position of First Sergeant models that of the Air Force.