If you could make one change to 39-1...

Started by NM SAR, May 02, 2013, 04:47:14 PM

Майор Хаткевич

As stated its the only place many can wear them.

Angus

Quote from: Eclipse on May 07, 2013, 04:33:54 PM
Quote from: Angus on May 07, 2013, 04:25:49 PM
Quote from: Al Sayre on May 02, 2013, 05:39:55 PM
Plumed hats, sashes & sabers for all!   ;D

Why not add the cape and just go KofC Honor Guard.

KoFC would complain regarding "low light recognition".

Most KofC wouldn't mind.  Our honor guard for the most part is dwindling so someone may as well use a similar get up. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

bflynn

Quote from: davedove on May 08, 2013, 11:27:34 AMsenior members restricted to the G/W uniform

Restricted?  I wear the aviator shirt because I'm in CAP.  I restrict myself from the AF uniform because I'm not in the AF.

vento

Quote from: bflynn on May 08, 2013, 05:19:42 PM
Quote from: davedove on May 08, 2013, 11:27:34 AMsenior members restricted to the G/W uniform

Restricted?  I wear the aviator shirt because I'm in CAP.  I restrict myself from the AF uniform because I'm not in the AF.

Please don't take davedove's post out of context. I believe most of us know exactly what he meant and it is not the way you interpret it.  :angel:

bflynn

It isn't a matter of taking it out of context as much as disagreeing with what it represents.  We are CAP.  We should be proud of that and wear OUR uniform.  Yes, I recognize that we don't, we use the AF uniform as the default, then fall "back" to a non-AF uniform.

I fully recognize that isn't a popular viewpoint here.  But I think it is a healthy one to point out. 

Storm Chaser

Well, for those not allowed to wear the AF-style uniform, they are in a sense "restricted" to CAP corporate uniforms. Whether we should only have one CAP uniform and whether that uniform should be a CAP-specific or AF-style uniform is a different discussion altogether.

Eclipse

Quote from: bflynn on May 08, 2013, 07:20:33 PMBut I think it is a healthy one to point out.

Clearly.

I guess we just don't get it like you do.

"That Others May Zoom"

Maj Daniel Sauerwein

Quote from: Private Investigator on May 08, 2013, 07:32:23 AM
Quote from: Maj Daniel Sauerwein on May 07, 2013, 06:07:08 AM
I would love to see us gain approval to wear the flight cap with the grey/white aviator uniform, or the service cap.

I have seen new Senior Members wear the flight cap with the G/W uniform and it looks silly. Really no headgear goes well with the G/W uniform except the black or grey stetson of the TXWG   ;)

I like it :D. I guess my feelings come from the discussion I had with a fellow member from my Wing. I mentioned that the old CSU would have been fine with me had they used the grey epaulets and name plate in the first place, but I digress. I just would love to have a more military looking headgear for that combination other than the baseball cap.
DANIEL SAUERWEIN, Maj, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol

ColonelJack

Quote from: bflynn on May 08, 2013, 07:20:33 PM
I fully recognize that isn't a popular viewpoint here.   

From my experience, it's not only not a popular viewpoint here at CAPTalk, it's a viewpoint that is in the extreme minority in CAP overall.  That doesn't mean you aren't entitled to it; you are, of course.  But you do understand that very, very few CAP members across the organization agree with that viewpoint, don't you?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

bflynn

Quote from: ColonelJack on May 09, 2013, 10:14:58 AMBut you do understand that very, very few CAP members across the organization agree with that viewpoint, don't you

Yes, of course.  Here covers both CAPTalk and CAP.  I think there are very few members open minded enough to hear and consider it.  But, based in part on the number of discussions about it here, I think there are far more than a few members whose "light appreciation" is the AF uniform, whether they are willing to acknowledge it or not. 

Duke Dillio

Berets for all!!!  Viva la resistance!!!

Walkman

Quote from: Duke Dillio on May 09, 2013, 01:18:23 PM

If we get berets, they should be ANSI Class II spec so we can wear them on GT missions.  >:D

Eclipse

Quote from: Walkman on May 09, 2013, 02:49:19 PM

If we get berets, they should be ANSI Class II spec so we can wear them on GT missions.  >:D

Just an FYI, you will never look as cool as this guy:

"That Others May Zoom"

bflynn

:)

We had berets in ROTC - your ears are sunburned, there's no shade for your eyes and you're wearing a wool hat that stinks when it gets wet in the middle of summer.  But it IS stylish. 

ColonelJack

Berets?  Pfui!  Silly French hats!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Storm Chaser

I don't wear a beret, but I don't see the problem with them. The Air Force has them to designate special teams and/or specialties. They're not meant to be worn in the field. They're meant to be a tool for recognizing certain accomplishments or functions, just like shoulder cords. While some people may not like them, they're usually not the ones wearing them. So why make a big deal about them?

FlyTiger77

Quote from: Storm Chaser on May 09, 2013, 06:25:29 PM
. While some people may not like them, they're usually not the ones wearing them.

I wore one and I really didn't like it, but that is a story for another day.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: Storm Chaser on May 09, 2013, 06:25:29 PM
I don't wear a beret, but I don't see the problem with them. The Air Force has them to designate special teams and/or specialties.
They're meant to be a tool for recognizing certain accomplishments or functions, just like shoulder cords. While some people may not like them, they're usually not the ones wearing them. So why make a big deal about them?

Because what is being recognized generally comes with a lot more 'tude then is warranted.  Also this:
Quote from: Storm Chaser on May 09, 2013, 06:25:29 PMThey're not meant to be worn in the field.
I agree, 100%, but that's basically the only place CAP is authorized to wear them (over BDU's).

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Eclipse on May 09, 2013, 06:35:27 PM
Because what is being recognized generally comes with a lot more 'tude then is warranted.

Then that is the problem, no the beret itself.

Quote from: Eclipse on May 09, 2013, 06:35:27 PM
I agree, 100%, but that's basically the only place CAP is authorized to wear them (over BDU's).

When I said "field", I really meant field as in when we do ES operations. That's not the only time we wear BDUs. But I don't see why berets couldn't be approved for wear with service uniforms.

BTW, I'm not promoting berets; I'm merely stating that the whole beret issue seems to be blown out of proportion at times.

Майор Хаткевич

Berets are a sore topic in most places. They don't add much, but are a lot of times linked with problem children...