LOW Cost First Aid/CPR/ Blood Borne Pathogens

Started by bsweil63, April 08, 2013, 07:48:16 PM

bsweil63

Is anyone aware of a low cost online or perhaps local program to meet the above objectives?
I have been looking online and it can be quite costly.
Thanks,
1LT Bryan Weil, MSN, RN
Asst. Health Services Officer, CAP
Raleigh NC
1st LT Bryan Weil, CAP
MER-NC-048
PAO, asst. HSO

Eclipse

Online training does not meet the requirements for CAP First Aid Training.

Also, CPR is not required by CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

johnnyb47

www.enjoycpr.com
I did their in-person AHA First Aid session and it was OK.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Luis R. Ramos

Expanding on Eclipse's answer...

You have to contact the American Red Cross, the American Heart Association, or the National Safety Council for classes that are hands-on. CPR is a good one to have, but like Eclipse posted, not required. Only First Aid is required.

All three also offer online classes, so you have to be careful.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

johnnyb47

Quote from: flyer333555 on April 08, 2013, 08:18:28 PM
Expanding on Eclipse's answer...

You have to contact the American Red Cross, the American Heart Association, or the National Safety Council for classes that are hands-on. CPR is a good one to have, but like Eclipse posted, not required. Only First Aid is required.

All three also offer online classes, so you have to be careful.

Flyer
As I recall the online classes for the reputable organizations require an in person skills evaluation session to be scheduled locally for certification.
Capt
Communications Officer

Luis R. Ramos

Johnny-

They have also skills-testing classes.

You register, watch an online class, then go to the local company and test with an instructor. The instructor offers time for some practice then test the person for skills.

As an AHA instructor I think taking the entire class face-to-face is better.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

johnnyb47

Quote from: flyer333555 on April 08, 2013, 08:51:15 PM
Johnny-

They have also skills-testing classes.

You register, watch an online class, then go to the local company and test with an instructor. The instructor offers time for some practice then test the person for skills.

As an AHA instructor I think taking the entire class face-to-face is better.

Flyer
ARC and AHA call that "Blended Learning" right?
The way I read CAPR 60-3 1-24.f, blended learning is fine.
I took an all in-person course myself but was looking into the blended courses before that.
While I agree that it is better to do it in person, Online training when coupled with the appropriate skills evaluation or skills-testing session still seems to be within regs... as I read them anyhow. My interpretation may be wrong.
Capt
Communications Officer

Eclipse

As an ESO, I wouldn't have any issue with that - the evaluation is what is important, just like CAP tasks.

I'd even go further to say that there's no reason NHQ couldn't come up with a First Aid SQTR and save everyone some money.  It's good enough for the BSA, why not CAP? 

What might also be nice would be a refresher evaluation for renewals.  I'd be willing to pay $10 to be rechecked, even annually, vs. having to sit through another 4 hours of not touching lives wires, and being
calm in an emergency.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on April 08, 2013, 09:18:00 PM
As an ESO, I wouldn't have any issue with that - the evaluation is what is important, just like CAP tasks.

I'd even go further to say that there's no reason NHQ couldn't come up with a First Aid SQTR and save everyone some money.  It's good enough for the BSA, why not CAP? 

What might also be nice would be a refresher evaluation for renewals.  I'd be willing to pay $10 to be rechecked, even annually, vs. having to sit through another 4 hours of not touching lives wires, and being
calm in an emergency.
I think I'm going to take this on as a project.   
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Luis R. Ramos

I have not heard on the AHA side call it blended-learning. I do not think they are as good as the other type. In a skill test, the emphasis will be on "You pass the test, have a nice day." On the other class, instructors can take more time expanding on the knowledge gained.

Then again, if your Emergency Services Officer says he will accept it as long as there is that human instructor in the picture, go ahead.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

cap235629

You might looks at becoming a training site for The Emergency Care and Safety Institute.  With your background you can easily become an instructor.  Our squadron is a training site and we are just now starting to look at the affiliation as a source of revenue by providing classes to the community.

Check them out at this website
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

SARDOC

Quote from: cap235629 on April 09, 2013, 02:55:05 AM
You might looks at becoming a training site for The Emergency Care and Safety Institute.  With your background you can easily become an instructor.  Our squadron is a training site and we are just now starting to look at the affiliation as a source of revenue by providing classes to the community.

+1  I've used them a couple of times and they have always been very helpful.

Walkman

Quote from: cap235629 on April 09, 2013, 02:55:05 AM

Thanks for that link! I've been trying to find something like this. I'll be checking it out. From what I see on their site, a standard 1st Aid/CPR/AED (I know CPR/AED isn't required for CAP) class from a training center is only $14.95/student. That is certainly more affordable than the ARC.

bsweil63

Thanks everyone for the quick response to my questions. I will follow up on your suggestions.
Bryan

Bryan Weil, 1LT, CAP
1st LT Bryan Weil, CAP
MER-NC-048
PAO, asst. HSO