Should I leave my squadron?

Started by Cadet Mac, April 04, 2013, 02:13:22 AM

Cadet Mac

MOTIVES FOR TRANSITIONING: Hello, I have posted a topic about 2 months ago concerning my squadron's cadet size and how to grow it. I have followed the advice of those who replied to my fullest extent, but nothing changed. I recommended fun activities to my chain of command, nothing changed except using what few cadets remain as road guards at farm shows. As far as recruiting, I finally brought in a new guy, but after one meeting he was no longer interested because he said "it was nothing like I had showed him", which was true. I had attempted to become an advocate for recruiting in my squadron, but nobody actually listens. Now, cadets are dropping like flies. In late 2011 when I joined, there was 32 cadets on the roster with more than 20 active, which was fine and it was actually pretty enjoyable. Fast forward a year, the roster says 18 and less than 13 attend. I now dread meetings and wish to switch squadrons. Nothing is fun anymore, and it hasn't changed. I joined CAP for flying and my squadron hasn't done much of that, or anything for that matter.

THE POINT: I am becoming increasingly frustrated with my squadron leadership. They seem to not listen to my ideas and nobody has recruited. I'm honestly thinking about transitioning to the nearest squadron, which is quite active and large. PLUS, they do productive and fun things.

THE QUESTION: Call me the Clash, but should I stay or should I go?

Майор Хаткевич

Well, after calling out my CoC I would certainly leave...

Eclipse

First, 2 months is basically zero in CAP years, especially if you are expecting significant change without changing any major factors.

With that said there are only two thing which can change here, you or the squadron.   The only one you control is you.

And it appears only one is interested in change, so...

"That Others May Zoom"

TJT__98

Quote from: Cadet Mac on April 04, 2013, 02:13:22 AM
... As far as recruiting, I finally brought in a new guy, but after one meeting he was no longer interested because he said "it was nothing like I had showed him", which was true...
So, am I correct in thinking that what you told him was not true? It seems to me that you stated right there that you lied to him about your squadron. If so that is not a good way to get someone to join.
...In late 2011 when I joined, there was 32 cadets on the roster with more than 20 active, which was fine and it was actually pretty enjoyable. Fast forward a year, the roster says 18 and less than 13 attend...
It may just be because my squadron is small, but, thirteen cadets doesn't seem like that few to me (in fact, thirteen in attendance is larger than my squadron's roster). Also I don't consider losing seven active cadets (give or take) in two years "dropping like flies"
I now dread meetings and wish to switch squadrons. Nothing is fun anymore, and it hasn't changed.
What makes you dread meetings? Why aren't they fun anymore? Have you brought specific details up the chain to try to improve the situation for weekly meetings?

I can't tell you for sure whether or not you should leave, but, if you feel you are truly getting absolutely nothing out of the program anymore, maybe you should.
C/MSgt
Wright Award 21322

Cadet Mac

Quote from: TJT__98 on April 04, 2013, 02:50:51 AM
So, am I correct in thinking that what you told him was not true? It seems to me that you stated right there that you lied to him about your squadron. If so that is not a good way to get someone to join.
It was not necessarily about the squadron, since the things I had told him about were just things CAP did in general.

Eclipse

Quote from: Cadet Mac on April 04, 2013, 03:06:30 AM
Quote from: TJT__98 on April 04, 2013, 02:50:51 AM
It was not necessarily about the squadron, since the things I had told him about were just things CAP did in general.

OK - as much for everyone else as for you, when you're recruiting new members, you should only talk about things that are actually happening
at your unit & wing.
  Little else is relevant, especially for new members.

No Olympic videos, or Tactical to Practical (if your unit doesn't do ES), don't show off a plane you're never seen before, or a borrowed HMMV with mag signs,
or an NCC video from some other wing, etc., etc.

Discuss what the potential member will really experience Day 1, 30, 60, 90, 120, etc.  If your unit is in a growth phase, be honest.  Padding the resume only disappoints them
and probably loses them forever.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

THE POINT: I am becoming increasingly frustrated with my squadron leadership. They seem to not listen to my ideas and nobody has recruited. I'm honestly thinking about transitioning to the nearest squadron, which is quite active and large. PLUS, they do productive and fun things.

You are looking at this moment. You have show some "patience". You have been in a Squadron 1 1/2 years. Like the ocean it goes up and down and no matter what you want to do, it will go down. Do what is required and next month or next year you will be in the 'leadership' role. You take it by "faith" and whatever assignment you are in just do the best at that. It is not time yet to run the whole thing yourself.

Most of all have fun.

Cliff_Chambliss

You say you joined CAP for the flying?  Maybe then your focus is a bit out of focus.  CAP is not all about flying, and really makes up only a portion of the overall program.  Character building, Leadership, and Service to the community have a far greater import to CAP than just flying.
  And not much flying....  OK who pays for the flying?  As a cadet you are eligible for 5 O Rides and may ride as a passenger on other cadet O Rides space, weight permitting.  Flight training as a scanner/observer?  who pays?  there are very few "training" flying hour dollars available.  Flight Training to get your own Pilot's License?  who pays?  there are the aircraft costs, and although CAP Instructor Pilots can not charge for their services, it actually costs us far more if we have to leave our jobs to provide flight training.

To paraphrase President John Kennedy:  Ask not what the Civil Air Patrol can do for me, ask what can I do for the Civil Air Patrol.

I think you will find this more rewarding.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

mwewing

I recommended fun activities to my chain of command, nothing changed except using what few cadets remain as road guards at farm shows.

Recommending fun activities is one thing, taking leadership of them is another. If you offer to lead a project/event/initiative/etc. and develop a plan to make it successful, I imagine your leadership would let you take the ball and run, so long as it complies with regs and squadron expectations.

As far as recruiting, I finally brought in a new guy, but after one meeting he was no longer interested because he said "it was nothing like I had showed him", which was true. I had attempted to become an advocate for recruiting in my squadron, but nobody actually listens. Now, cadets are dropping like flies. In late 2011 when I joined, there was 32 cadets on the roster with more than 20 active, which was fine and it was actually pretty enjoyable. Fast forward a year, the roster says 18 and less than 13 attend.

It is extremely important that your recruiting efforts mirror the activity of your unit. Giving a picture of everything CAP has to offer is okay, but you must be clear about the reality of your unit. Failing to meet the expectations of a prospective member, will almost surely drive them away. As a recruiting officer, I also targeted recruiting efforts in areas we wanted to develop. For example, my current unit is building an ES program after years without one. One part of this has been engaging pilots and explaining the plans, goals, and efforts of the unit. This has gotten some positive reaction from local pilots. They understand our current limitations, but several are interested in helping build the program moving forward. I would not say your cadets are dropping like flies, but your unit's marked decline does indicate that some emphasis on recruiting/retention might be beneficial. Your role is unlikely to be overall management of the recruiting/retention plan, but offering constructive suggestions and stepping up to lead them can be very motivational to other members. This includes your leadership.

I'm honestly thinking about transitioning to the nearest squadron, which is quite active and large. PLUS, they do productive and fun things.

I know very little about Maryland, and I have no idea how close your unit is to this other one. However, this might be a contributing factor to your membership levels. Realistically, a geographical area can only support so many units. There are factors that influence this, such as number of available CAP members, focus/goals of the units, etc. If this "active and large" unit is in proximity to your squadron, it may pull your prospective members. However, decisions on where to charter units are made above your level. You can only evaluate the things you want out of the program, and volunteer your time accordingly. If this other unit better aligns with your expectations, it is worth exploring.
Maj. Mark Ewing, CAP
Commander
West Michigan Group (GLR-MI-703)

CAPtain Obvious

I'm new to the forum and fairly new to CAP, but have a pretty solid background in the topic at hand, which from this one particular viewpoint appears to be a leadership/follower issue. I'll put out the relevant parts of my background so it doesn't come off too much like I'm shooting from the hip. I'm prior USMC active and reserve NCO, degrees in Aviation Operations Management and Social and Behavioral Science, a fair amount of coursework in Organizational Leadership and 2nd degree martial arts instructor/club owner. Within CAP, I'm a 1st Lt, and I'm an AGI.  It's not to tout a resume but if you're looking for advice and guidance, then you should have some measure of trust and confidence in the source of that advice. So here's my two cent worth.

It sounds like you're waiting to be given some type of permission or green light to implement some of your ideas. Good call to ask, but like someone previously pointed out, if you take your ideas up the chain, an absence of a solid "no" to me is an opportunity to take a measured risk within the rules and regulations and be the change you want to see. Stay within your span and scope of authority, and if you don't know exactly what those boundaries are, you may be surprised at just how much latitude you actually have to take action. You'll  find out pretty quick if you've overstepped. And being a volunteer organization, you'll find that many times the harder YOU try, the more relieved those around you will feel that SOMEONE is taking the action they can't or won't.

Courage isn't necessarily facing down a mugger or other malicious person. It's taking action despite the fear, not the absence of it. One cannot be courageous if there is no fear. Confidence is a first cousin to the trait, but they are not the same. Here your fear is losing face and credibility with your friends. Maybe it's fear of getting kicked out of CAP for taking matters into your own hands. I don't know, I'm taking educated guesses, but experience tells me I may not be too far off the mark.

So, should you leave your squadron? I would say only when you have exhausted all avenues of trying to breath life into an organization you believe in i.e, your squadron. Who's in the same boat as you? Who feels the same way? Don't let fear of asking stop you from gaining allies in trying to change things. Ask squadron mates one by one or address the group as a whole. If you're thinking of bringing in new people, then it's okay to give them as complete of a picture as you can. Let them know what brought you to CAP, how it was, is, and what together you can remake it into if they're willing to come on board and be a part of the change.

We all want to belong to some type of group, even supposed lone wolves. It's in our DNA to connect with others. Intentions is a whole other topic, but suffice it to say you joined CAP to be a part of something and get some goodies for yourself. No shame in wanting to feel a sense of satisfaction and have some fun in the process. But again, be the change you want to see. And always ask yourself; are things changing or not, and if not, is there one more thing I can try? There is almost always one more thing you can try. When you're honest with yourself about that answer, you'll know in your heart of hearts if it's time to cut losses and move on.

Leadership is an influence relationship between leaders and followers who intend substantial changes that reflect their mutual purposes. The influence travels in more than one direction, it is not coercive, and the roles of leader and follower are not static. The changes and purposes may also be dynamic, as long as they remain mutual. Don't be afraid of making mistakes and also know what YOU believe to be worth fighting for and what isn't. And don't confuse leadership with management. They really are two separate but conjoined concepts. It's worth the effort to learn the differences. Learn from more than one source and for goodness sake, resist the urge to use leadership "techniques" on folks. People will know when they're being manipulated by someone who read a 100 page book over the weekend and is trying to engage techniques and quick fixes. BIG turn off. Have a vision, be genuine, and have a vested and personal interest in changing things. If there are others with you, the leadership will occur without major "effort" on your part. The work then goes into implementation of the changes your followers and you, or you and you leaders agree need to happen.

Part of CAP's mission is to develop, not create, leaders and followers. It looks like a very good opportunity to develop yourself in those roles. If all you and your friends want is a plug and play fun organization, then the neighboring squadron will only be fun for so long before it loses its appeal. If you take the opportunity for growth as an individual AND as a valued member of a team, then stick it out at your current squadron and be the catalyst for growth for everyone involved. Then when you get to a meeting one night and you can't find a parking space and inside there are faces you can't put a name to, then the satisfaction of having been a part of that growth will outweigh any fun you'd get from a plug and play environment.

If you want only fun, go down to the miniature golf place with a handful of quarters and have at it. If you are willing to take some lumps and truly grow...I think you should get the point by now.

lordmonar

Cadet Mac....if you are not happy....then sure change squadrons.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MSG Mac

Make sure you leave in good standing Have you even visited the other unit or talked with them about the possible transfer? Have you told your present Commander that you are thinking of leaving? The first thing your new squadron will do is ask the old commander if there are any problems  associated with taking you in. If there are he won't initiate the transfer. If you have any squadron equipment including uniforms and field gear you must return it before the outgoing unit commander will release you.   
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

CAPtain Obvious

Quote from: Eclipse on April 07, 2013, 04:25:37 AM
What's an AGI?

Advanced Ground Instructor. Authorized by the FAA to teach ground portions of aeronautical knowledge (ground school) in preparation for the written exam for Recreational through ATP and endorse logbooks for taking the exams.

I apologize: After rereading my long response, I realize that being an AGI is not within CAP and that little tidbit was better stated as part of my overall background, not necessarily CAP specific. Like I said, I put all that out there to lend some weight to my opinion on the question posed i.e., I speak from a place of relevant experience and education. 

bflynn

Quote from: Cadet Mac on April 04, 2013, 02:13:22 AMNothing is fun anymore

Time to do something different.  When it stops being fun, find a different squadron or different hobby.

Private Investigator

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: bflynn on April 07, 2013, 08:42:27 PM
Time to do something different.  When it stops being fun, find a different squadron or different hobby.

Something I'm struggling with right now.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Private Investigator

Quote from: bflynn on April 07, 2013, 08:42:27 PM

Changing Squadrons is good for Senior Members. In one unit you might be God's gift to CAP. In another unit you do not matter regardless of your experiences.

On a side note, sailing recently has been a lot of fun.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Private Investigator on April 10, 2013, 12:05:37 PM
Changing Squadrons is good for Senior Members. In one unit you might be God's gift to CAP. In another unit you do not matter regardless of your experiences.

The former and latter could be the same depending on how closely the squadrons are geographically...and how much they work together.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011