New Cadet Checklist

Started by NC Hokie, March 20, 2013, 07:57:02 PM

NC Hokie

I'm trying to develop a checklist that new cadets should complete and would appreciate any suggestions or feedback from the peanut gallery CAP Talk community. Here's what I have so far (uniforms are measured and ordered by the unit):

- Exchange contact information with your Element Leader.
- Create an eServices account.
- Complete OPSEC training in eServices.
- Complete the Introduction to CAP Safety course in eServices.
- Check and update your contact information in eServices.
- Visit the Stripes to Diamonds webpage and review the requirements for Achievement 1.
- Train for and successfully complete the Cadet Physical Fitness Test.
- Meet with the Chaplain/Character Development Instructor and complete the Ground School worksheet.
- Study Learn to Lead chapter 1 and successfully complete the first leadership test.
- Study and memorize the Cadet Oath found on pages 14-15 of Learn to Lead chapter 1.
- Practice the drill maneuvers listed on page 23 of Learn to Lead chapter 1 and successfully complete the practical drill test.

What needs to be added or changed?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

johnnyb47

Basic ORM?
Bookmark the units webpage?
Join the Facebook group?
Order all name tapes, patches and plates required for the uniform even if you don't have one yet.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Arkbird

Learn to recognize the different grade insignias, submit sizes for the Free Cadet Uniform, print temporary membership card?

Some squadrons also suggest that new cadets take GES too.

This link may be something good to give new cadets too. 
http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/new_cadet_help/
Multi-Purpose C/Capt
COS 2011
NCLS 2013

NC Hokie

Quote from: johnnyb47 on March 20, 2013, 08:28:01 PM
Basic ORM?
You know, I thought that this was required (I have a vague memory of cadets having to take it before being able to take their advancement tests in eServices), but I left it off of the list because I couldn't find any mention of it in the regs. Given the difference of opinion, I asked the Knowledgebase. Here's their answer:

Quote from: CAP Knowledgebase
Response Via Email(KB Manager) - 03/21/2013 06:40 AM

ORM is required but it is incorporated in the Introductory Safety Training module.  See below out of CAPR 62-1, http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R062_001_85D0CB3FE48A5.pdf.

4. Safety Education Requirements.

g. New members will receive initial Risk Management (RM) familiarization training. This is accomplished within the Introductory Safety Training module, Introduction to CAP Safety, accessed in the online safety briefing application within eServices.

h. All members are required to complete introductory safety education. This is a part of the Level I requirements for senior members and the Curry Achievement for cadets. This is accomplished within Introduction to CAP Safety, accessed through eServices online safety education. This course is available in seminar format for cadets only. New members may only participate in CAP functions within the limits set for Level 1 senior members or Phase 1 cadets IAW CAPR 50-17, CAP Senior Member Professional Development Program, and CAPR 52-16, Cadet Program Management, respectively.
So, the Basic Risk Management course is NOT required for Achievement 1 or Level 1.

Quote from: johnnyb47 on March 20, 2013, 08:28:01 PM
Order all name tapes, patches and plates required for the uniform even if you don't have one yet.
We've started collecting money for this with the cadet application and ordering these items through the squadron. Keeps the cadets/parents from having to pay shipping and makes sure that nothing is forgotten.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy