Can an SM be dual-hatted in CP and ES?

Started by greyfrog, February 20, 2013, 12:42:29 AM

greyfrog

I am a new SM.  Can I receive training and serve in both the CP and ES aspects of the CAP?

a2capt

..and Aerospace?

Sure. Why not?

Use your ES for CP, too.

Eclipse

The only limitations are on your time and initiative.

If your unit isn't doing something you want to, you can seek it out at other units and activities.

"That Others May Zoom"

Walkman

Like Eclipse said, you can have as many jobs as you have the time and passion for. One thing I would recommend as a new SM is that if you're going to try and tackle two specialty tracks, find a good mentor for each. I would also recommend hanging out with a variety of the other SMs and see what they do. You'l not only get a good feel for how everything fits together, but you might find something you like that did't occur to you before.

Welcome to CAP.

Woodsy

One thing I've seen new members get caught up here is the difference between the ES specialty track and participation in emergency services operations.  Any member who goes through the required training for an operations qualification can be involved in operations, regardless of specialty track.  You don't need to be enrolled in the ES Specialty Track in order to go out on a mission, assuming you're qualified to do so.  You can do that with a CP specialty track.

For example, I'm highly involved in operations and work a lot of missions, yet my sole specialty track is public affairs, as is my duty assignment.

Shawn W.

The beauty of this volunteer organization as any, is that Yes you can volunteer to do as much or as little as you want. However, I will caution you not to take too much on at one time and then burn yourself out.. I have seen many a Senior Member come in all fired up and ready to to take on all that CAP has to offer, just to burn themselves out a few months later. Take your time and learn the right way. Good Luck. :-D

flyboy53

Quote from: greyfrog on February 20, 2013, 12:42:29 AM
I am a new SM.  Can I receive training and serve in both the CP and ES aspects of the CAP?

Certainly! You should consider an ES speciality that would align with CP, and that more than likely, would be ground team or perhaps communications.

The beauty of those ES fields is that those are the ones most likey involving cadets, so you have a mission related skill that allows you to continue mentoring them.

What ever floats your boat.

Storm Chaser

I work with both seniors and cadets. And on the ES side, I participate as an aircrew, mission base and ground/UDF team member. The great thing about CAP is that you can participate and train in as much as your time will allow.

Sapper168

I am both my squadrons ES officer and the assistant Deputy Commander for Cadets.   8) ;D
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

JeffDG

FlyTiger77

JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Private Investigator

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on February 28, 2013, 01:17:29 AM
I am both my squadrons ES officer and the assistant Deputy Commander for Cadets.   8) ;D

In smaller Squadrons you may have four or five hats and in a larger Squadron, maybe one or a complaint I hear a lot you may be lost in a crowd and have no assignment and been going for two years before you even get promoted to 2nd Lt !!!

greyfrog

If someone is multi-hatted how is one evaluated for promotion.

Sapper168

Quote from: greyfrog on March 03, 2013, 11:25:54 PM

I am usually evaluated as being awesome.  8) ;D >:D
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

SarDragon

There is no formal evaluation involved. The commander looks at how you have done your assigned jobs, and if it's acceptable, he signs the form/clicks the button, and the  promotion goes upstream to the next level.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Private Investigator

If you are referring to speciality tracks. Whichever one gets you to a Technician rating first earns you 1st Lt. Senior rating = Major and Master gets Lt Col. Of course time in grade and service and a few other items is required. 2d Lt is basically six months and your Commande's approval.

In the past, a few jobs were easier to promote in then others. Now all specialities are similar but some require more hoops o jump thru then others.

Have fun