Adopting Commerorative medals for CAP distinctive uniforms...

Started by cap235629, February 08, 2013, 12:04:03 AM

Robert Hartigan

Quote from: lordmonar on February 08, 2013, 12:35:52 AM
No

We need to make changes that allow all of our senior members to wear the same uniform.

With the above quote in mind, I think CAP should bring back the Guayabera shirts.  >:D
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

cap235629

Quote from: Robert Hartigan on February 08, 2013, 05:57:15 PM
No

We need to make changes that allow all of our senior members to wear the same uniform.

With the above quote in mind, I think CAP should bring back the Guayabera shirts.  >:D

Does anyone have a picture of someone wearing this uniform????
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

cap235629

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 08, 2013, 12:06:54 PM
Commemorative medals aren't really standardized as to design, and don't really have "award criteria." It wouldn't really be different than making up your own and wearing it.

"Commemoratives" are pretty much a non-starter.

My thought was establishing CAP award criteria and rather than reinventing the wheel, adopting medals already in production
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: cap235629 on February 08, 2013, 06:49:49 PM
My thought was establishing CAP award criteria and rather than reinventing the wheel, adopting medals already in production

Similar to my thought about applying for Air Force civilian awards to be authorised for CAP?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Devil Doc

I agree with all of these suggestions. I think all awards foreign and domestic should be authorized. All branches, agencies, departments etc. It would be fair to everybody and anybody and im sure alot of CAP members would like to show what experiences they have. Of course everything would have to get preapproved on Order of Precedence and the max amount allowed etc.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Cliff_Chambliss

Lets just limit the awards.  Only one service award from any military service, only one foreign award but only for achievement or valor, only one CAP service award, but no limit on valor awards.  Only one speciality badge aeronautical or otherwise.

Why would anyone want to look like a "banana republic" general by wearing excessive bling?

11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

SarDragon

Quote from: cap235629 on February 08, 2013, 06:48:19 PM
Quote from: Robert Hartigan on February 08, 2013, 05:57:15 PM
No

Does anyone have a picture of someone wearing this uniform? ???

U-G-L-Y! Trust me on this.

This comes close:
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Quote from: Bobble on February 08, 2013, 03:05:40 PM
I say yes, but only so long as the commemorative medals are worn on a gilt-edged red velvet sash (hung from the left shoulder so as not to obscure the member's name plate) over the CAP Colonial Service Uniform (CSU - white aviator shirt, gray jodhpurs, black leather calf length riding boots; gray pith helmet and swagger stick optional).

No, man, red satin sash.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

Actually, a Guayabera looks more professional than the polo shirt. It is more functional, having 4 pockets, and it is more comfortable in warm weather.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Abby.L

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on February 08, 2013, 07:30:33 PM
Lets just limit the awards.  Only one service award from any military service, only one foreign award but only for achievement or valor, only one CAP service award, but no limit on valor awards.  Only one speciality badge aeronautical or otherwise.

Why would anyone want to look like a "banana republic" general by wearing excessive bling?

Or, we could just give members a max number of anything allowed to be worn, with this number giving the wearer the appearance of a "Banana Republic" general, then allow all members the choice of all or some, as it already is with the SM ribbons.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Devil Doc

Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Patterson

Why?!?  This is CAP.  Wear CAP items that you earn while serving in CAP.  Sometimes things are not fair.  When I look at Seniors with a stack of military ribbons and then two CAP ribbons, it shouts out that the person is a BTDT.  Am I supposed to be impressed, or should I listen to him or her more intently because they served in the Armed Forces?  Remember, this is CAP.  Some things are similar between CAP and the military, but there are a lot more things that are different.

I am impressed by actions, not ribbons. 

flyboy53

Why is that these threads end up getting absurd.

In the grand scheme of things, there are probably a dozen or so commemorative medals that have been worn of Amerian uniforms since the Civil War. In recent times, however, I think the last real medals of this nature were for polar expeditions. Just because a company makes commemorative medals doesn't mean that everyone should run right out and put them on a uniform.

There are already too many cases of people faking awards and decorations. What would this do?

I don't even wear everything I'm entitled to. I just look awful and it's too time consuming and expensive to keep up such ribbon bars. Instead, I decided

Instead of finding something else to wear, why not just convince the leadership to adopt full-sized medals for purchase and give individual members the option of what they want to wear -- all, some or none at all -- and let this issue die.

Hawk200

Quote from: Patterson on February 09, 2013, 12:32:15 AM
Why?!?  This is CAP.  Wear CAP items that you earn while serving in CAP.  Sometimes things are not fair.  When I look at Seniors with a stack of military ribbons and then two CAP ribbons, it shouts out that the person is a BTDT.  Am I supposed to be impressed, or should I listen to him or her more intently because they served in the Armed Forces?  Remember, this is CAP.  Some things are similar between CAP and the military, but there are a lot more things that are different.

Ribbons represent actions and achievements. A ribbon rack is simply a resume, nothing more, really. The actions they represent should impress, not the ribbons themselves. If you don't know what actions the ribbons represent, ask or Google. It's not hard to fill out the resume.

As for CAP being different, there are many skills that carry over from the military. It's a lot wiser to listen to the people that have been there and done that, than to listen to people who have gained their supposed "expertise" from the movies, television, and others who have a brother's mother's uncle's nephew with "knowledge" of the military.

Quote from: RiverAux on February 08, 2013, 02:27:00 PM
Well, I'd be ok with wearing military awards on the corporates and don't really understand why it isn't allowed since as I understand it they can generally be worn on civilian clothes anyway.
I wouldn't have a problem with it. Earned it? Wear it. Of course, I also agree with statement made earlier concerning good taste, but I don't think that would be an issue. I also wouldn't have a problem with DOD awards to civilians. Many of them chewed the same dust I did, got no problem with them wearing their awards.

However, "commemoratives" I don't agree with. Serves no purpose, doesn't signify any real accomplishment other than "I bought a medal."

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 09, 2013, 05:29:47 AM
As for CAP being different, there are many skills that carry over from the military. It's a lot wiser to listen to the people that have been there and done that, than to listen to people who have gained their supposed "expertise" from the movies, television, and others who have a brother's mother's uncle's nephew with "knowledge" of the military.

I couldn't resist...

MSG Mac

Quote from: CyBorg on February 08, 2013, 04:36:40 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on February 08, 2013, 04:24:29 AM
Commemorative medals?  Are these medals produced by some company that aren't actually government issued?

http://www.medalsofamerica.com/ItemList--Commemorative-Medals--m-599

I count four that I would "qualify" for.

The only qualification for the "Commemorative Medals" is a valid credit card number.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

MSG Mac

Quote from: cap235629 on February 08, 2013, 12:04:03 AM
As an honorably discharged Veteran who cannot wear AF uniforms, I feel that the adoption of commemorative medals that reflect wartime service should be allowed on CAP distinctive uniforms to recognize those who are precluded from wearing their military awards on the CAP uniforms...... Thoughts???

Why not just ask the AF to allow the wear of earned awards on the CSU following the guidelines of the Department of Veterans Affairs which promotes the wearing of service ribbons on patriotic holidays and on formal occasions when interacting with the military.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

cap235629

Quote from: MSG Mac on February 09, 2013, 11:46:38 AM
Quote from: cap235629 on February 08, 2013, 12:04:03 AM
As an honorably discharged Veteran who cannot wear AF uniforms, I feel that the adoption of commemorative medals that reflect wartime service should be allowed on CAP distinctive uniforms to recognize those who are precluded from wearing their military awards on the CAP uniforms...... Thoughts???

Why not just ask the AF to allow the wear of earned awards on the CSU following the guidelines of the Department of Veterans Affairs which promotes the wearing of service ribbons on patriotic holidays and on formal occasions when interacting with the military.

Because there is no such thing as a CSU????
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

Patterson

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 09, 2013, 05:29:47 AM
Quote from: Patterson on February 09, 2013, 12:32:15 AM

Ribbons represent actions and achievements. A ribbon rack is simply a resume, nothing more, really. The actions they represent should impress, not the ribbons themselves. If you don't know what actions the ribbons represent, ask or Google. It's not hard to fill out the resume.

You made my point for me.  Instead of seeking out assistance and knowledge and advice when needed from those who know CAP, you believe that we should automatically go to the guy who wears 20 Army ribbons and 1 CAP ribbon, because he was a BTDT Army Guy.

Like I already stated, this is CAP, not the military.  We need to only concern ourselves with the "resume" represented by CAP ribbons, nothing more.

Hawk200

Quote from: Patterson on February 09, 2013, 07:58:30 PM
You made my point for me.  Instead of seeking out assistance and knowledge and advice when needed from those who know CAP, you believe that we should automatically go to the guy who wears 20 Army ribbons and 1 CAP ribbon, because he was a BTDT Army Guy.

Like I already stated, this is CAP, not the military.  We need to only concern ourselves with the "resume" represented by CAP ribbons, nothing more.
No, I didn't make a point for you at all, and I don't believe such a thing. As I said before, it's a resume. I wouldn't trust the word of someone with only one CAP ribbon on CAP information; twenty Army ribbons wouldn't matter at all to me. I simply believe that there is a lot to learn from military personnel, they have had a lot of formal training that you haven't. And much of it will apply to a paramilitary organization. 

The individual will have skills that are useful. It's up to you to find out what. The point of CAP is a team. Ignore someone's experience because you don't think it applies, they're not going to seek out your counsel either. And, it's prejudice to dismiss someone else's life experience because it wasn't in your neck of the woods. Kinda destroys the concept of teamwork, doesn't it?