Awards and decorations of the United States government

Started by Hawk200, February 06, 2013, 04:32:30 PM

Hawk200

Something I found interesting. No, I'm not advocating wear, just posting it up because I think others might be interested. I was rather surprised how many there are out there.

Awards and Decorations of the United States Government

JoeTomasone

Question about proper wear on the CAP uniform coming in 5... 4... 3... 2...

Майор Хаткевич

I almost cried looking at the Border Patrol ribbons (or lack of...approval).

Brad

My mom received the Y2K Service Medal under the President's Council on Year 2000 Conversion. She worked her butt off in '99 getting all the USDA scientists' computers in her office Y2K-compliant. Easier said than done with some of the ancient technology that place had....and still has. She retired a few years ago. First and last job she had straight out of college.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

The CyBorg is destroyed

There are some on this list that a case could be made for WRT allowance for wear on the uniform.

I have stated in the past that I think we could replace some of our CAP-specific awards with the AF civilian ones.

Others:

Presidential Medal of Freedom
NOAA Corps ribbons (I think those are already allowed)
USPHS ribbons (again, I think already allowed)
US Merchant Marine ribbons
NASA ribbons
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Luis R. Ramos

Joe-

You lost the bet! It was more like 45 minutes...

Well, not exactly "where to wear it," but about replacing the CAP ribbons with AF civilian...

So I think it close...

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: flyer333555 on February 06, 2013, 05:20:05 PM
Well, not exactly "where to wear it," but about replacing the CAP ribbons with AF civilian...
Flyer

Doesn't count, as I had made that case months ago. :P
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Flying Pig

Yeah, the Border Patrol section is weird.  They are almost all "not authorized".  But its not an inclusive list.  BP has a Medal of Valor and some other things that are not listed.

My agency only has 5 medals.  Medal of Honor, Medal of Valor, Life Saving, Purple Heart, Medal of Merit, which has 2 categories, a plain Medal of Merit and a Medal of Merit for Valor.   The agency I was with prior to that had the Medal of Valor, Police Cross, Purple Hear and the Meritorious Service Medal (for Valor or not for Valor)   Then you add that many of those agencies dont even wear uniforms.  But I would imagine you would see a lot of written awards and plaques versus actual cloth medals being presented. 

Hawk200

Quote from: JoeTomasone on February 06, 2013, 04:35:32 PM
Question about proper wear on the CAP uniform coming in 5... 4... 3... 2...
I figured it might, even though was not my intent.

SARDOC

I find it funny that the Defense Commissary Agency has ribbons for Civilian Service awards.   I'd like to read the Citation.

"For Superior Service above and beyond the call of duty as the Lead Produce Department, Chief Apple Stacker did.............  thereby reflecting great credit upon himself and upholding the highest traditions of the Defense Commissary Agency and the United States Grocery Service."

Devil Doc

WOW, isnt it sad that my government agency does not have any Awards, lol. Sad Face Now :(
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

LGM30GMCC

Quote from: SARDOC on February 07, 2013, 12:37:57 AM
I find it funny that the Defense Commissary Agency has ribbons for Civilian Service awards.   I'd like to read the Citation.

"For Superior Service above and beyond the call of duty as the Lead Produce Department, Chief Apple Stacker did.............  thereby reflecting great credit upon himself and upholding the highest traditions of the Defense Commissary Agency and the United States Grocery Service."

Finding ways to save large quantities of money (since commissary profits go to HM&W funds for bases), service in deployed areas, improving customer service, taking on a major project, etc. There's a lot more to making the commissaries run than what we just see on our base. I'm guessing they are highly uncommon, but hey. I also know they undergo inspections and reviews and whatnot.

SARDOC

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on February 07, 2013, 02:15:29 AM

Finding ways to save large quantities of money (since commissary profits go to HM&W funds for bases), service in deployed areas, improving customer service, taking on a major project, etc. There's a lot more to making the commissaries run than what we just see on our base. I'm guessing they are highly uncommon, but hey. I also know they undergo inspections and reviews and whatnot.

I have no doubt that every agency has an awards and recognition program to recognize performance....just curious as to why they have a ribbon for it.  Are they secretly wearing uniforms thus necessitating a displayable ribbon?

flyboy53

Quote from: SARDOC on February 07, 2013, 03:59:05 AM
Quote from: LGM30GMCC on February 07, 2013, 02:15:29 AM

I have no doubt that every agency has an awards and recognition program to recognize performance....just curious as to why they have a ribbon for it.  Are they secretly wearing uniforms thus necessitating a displayable ribbon?

No, it's because there are provisions at least in the Air Force regs where you can wear them and it used to be more common than now.

It also goes to show in some instances that there are uniformed corps of some federal agencies.

What I find interesting, though, are things like an Air Force Civilian Air Medal and Aerial Achievement Medal without any information about what it's awarded for or who gets it. Spooks?!

Private Investigator

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 06, 2013, 05:41:51 PM

My agency only has 5 medals. 

My department has about 30 or so.

I was watching the History Channel and a retired CIA agent was wearing his ribbons on his blazer. The others did not.

ColonelJack

I found it interesting to see that the CIA has ribbons and medals.  I thought their job was to be inconspicuous ... ?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Майор Хаткевич

The agent who got six Americans out of Iran after the revolution had to wait almost 20 years to public ally get his medal/ recognition.

spacecommand

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: spacecommand on February 07, 2013, 03:24:24 PM
^ with lots of help from our Canadian neighbors neighbours.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_caper

FTFY. :P

Quote from: flyboy1 on February 07, 2013, 10:08:21 AM
What I find interesting, though, are things like an Air Force Civilian Air Medal and Aerial Achievement Medal without any information about what it's awarded for or who gets it. Spooks?!

The Civilian Air Medal, above all the others, should be a CAP decoration.  The first Air Medal was awarded to a CAP member.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Flying Pig

Quote from: usafaux2004 on February 07, 2013, 02:07:08 PM
The agent who got six Americans out of Iran after the revolution had to wait almost 20 years to public ally get his medal/ recognition.

Publicly is the key word.  Im sure he was well taken care many moons ago from within I am sure.