Switching Tips of Belts

Started by Airman De Ruiter, January 20, 2013, 12:26:36 PM

Airman De Ruiter

I tried using the Google-machine and I couldn't really find anything on this, so would anybody mind shooting me a tutorial on how to switch the tips of military-style belts? I have an elastic belt meant to be used on Blues and a BDU belt made out of non-stretch cotton. I want to use the black open-face buckle of the BDU belt with elastic web from the other, but I need to put the black tip from the non-stretch onto the elastic web.
Signature edited.  Violation of Membership Code of Conduct.

Garibaldi

In a word, don't. You will F it up. Just buy a new belt. Or you could paint one side flat black and leave the other silver.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

Just buy an elastic belt for your blues and move on.  You're going to wind up with two ruined belts, anyway.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Removing an existing tip from a belt pretty much guarantees ruining it. If you have a brand new tip, you need to exercise extreme caution to avoid ruining it. IMHO, it's more trouble than any money you might save.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

+100.

BITD you used to be able to buy the different tips so you can try what you ar thinking.....I tried it myself once......it don't work.  Just guy a new belt.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Extremepredjudice

I did it. I moved a black tip, don't bother with a chrome tip. The black tip ended up missing ~25% of the paint.

1. Get something to pry the prongs apart
2. Pry the prongs apart
3. Put tip onto new belt
4. Squeeze with plyer until it is kinda in the fabric.
5. Use something to exert a massive amount of force. I used a rubber headed clamp, (head was big enough to cover the entire belt) and used my dad's pneumatic wrench to tighten it.
6. Paint any parts that were chipped
7. ??
8. Profit
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

NIN

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 20, 2013, 11:24:43 PM
I did it. I moved a black tip, don't bother with a chrome tip. The black tip ended up missing ~25% of the paint.

1. Get something to pry the prongs apart
2. Pry the prongs apart
3. Put tip onto new belt
4. Squeeze with plyer until it is kinda in the fabric.
5. Use something to exert a massive amount of force. I used a rubber headed clamp, (head was big enough to cover the entire belt) and used my dad's pneumatic wrench to tighten it.
6. Paint any parts that were chipped
7. ??
8. Profit

</me at inspection>
"Wow, did you get that belt from an WWII vet? You need a new one, unserviceable."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Extremepredjudice

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

SarDragon

"Fine" is in the eyes of the inspector, not inspected.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

If you are "painting" a belt tip, you are exerting far too much effort in an unnecessary direction.

I had a parent who did something similar with a marker, which his son proceeded to lose the first day of encampment.
It was actually presented to me that the encampment needed to "pay for a new one, since this was a custom-made belt".

I pulled an actual proper BDU belt out of the "box of misfit belts" I had on hand from years past and everyone was happy.

A decent nylon BDU belt is going to cost less then $10, and could literally last a lifetime.

Don't be that guy.

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

It looks looks perfectly fine. Did I mention I used a pneumatic wrench to compress the clamp? It wasn't some half assed thing.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

lordmonar

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 21, 2013, 12:34:42 AM
It looks looks perfectly fine. Did I mention I used a pneumatic wrench to compress the clamp? It wasn't some half assed thing.
So.....how much did the wrench cost?   

Also the effort.   Really dude...you saved yourself something like $5-10 for how much effort?

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Airman De Ruiter

Wait, can I get an elastic web with a black tip? The only reason I am considering this is because i thought it was the only option if I wanted an elastic BDU belt.

MSG Mac

If you take the tip off one belt to install on another, you'll wind up buying two new belts.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Patterson

No.  There are no elastic belts with black tips manufactured for wear with the Air Force Uniform.  The only elastic belts are with silver tips for wear with Blues.  Sorry!

abdsp51

Quote from: Patterson on January 21, 2013, 03:47:03 AM
No.  There are no elastic belts with black tips manufactured for wear with the Air Force Uniform.  The only elastic belts are with silver tips for wear with Blues.  Sorry!

Hate to break it to you but there is a stretch BDU belt.  I wore one until I switched to a riggers belt.

Airman De Ruiter

Wait, riggers belts are acceptable. All this new knowledge...I love it. What exactly is the reg for belts on the BDU?

Eclipse

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 21, 2013, 04:01:27 AM
Wait, riggers belts are acceptable. All this new knowledge...I love it. What exactly is the reg for belts on the BDU?

It depends which field uniform you are wearing.  The Camo BDU is more restrictive then the blue field uniform, however no one with a lick of sense
is going to care as long as you have something on which is both functional and professional.

Most members I know wear the wider 1.75" nylon belts with plastic buckle or a riggers belt.

See 39-1

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 21, 2013, 04:01:27 AM

As I thought had been made perfectly clear in another thread, CAPM 39-1 is the singular publication that covers wear of the uniform. That, plus the two ICLs, is the authority.

I do not recall seeing any reference to riggers belts in the 39-1.

The specific text:

Quote from: CAPM 39-1,  pg 62
3Belt and BuckleBelt and Buckle Dark blue, 1 1/4-inch woven cotton web, solid or woven elastic belt
with black metal tip end and plain (open faced) black buckle. Black tip
may extend up to 1 inch beyond the buckle, facing to the wearer's left
(men) or facing wearer's right or left (women).
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

+1 to SARdragon, riggers belts are not authorized.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor