Tan Undershirt With BDU

Started by Airman De Ruiter, January 20, 2013, 09:31:30 AM

Airman De Ruiter

Are tan(sand) colored undershirts authorized for wear with the BDU? The argument could be made that tan is a shade of brown. This topic is to help everyone that is curious, but for me, my cadet squadron commander wears and said that tan is fine, does that have any bearing on anything? I really want to wear it, but not if it's against the regs.
Signature edited.  Violation of Membership Code of Conduct.

SarDragon

Tan is not brown. They are not allowed.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

Airman-

You are correct in that tan is a shade of brown. That was my argument and it was completely accepted by most squadrons in my wing when I was active ten years ago.

However, I became inactive for five years, and now that I am active I have realized the interpretation of that manual is that undershirts have to be Army brown.

In other words, tan is not allowed.

My squadron has solved that problem by only authorizing black...

Take care,

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Tan is not brown, and it is clearly not the intention to allow tan.

Just wear black.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on January 20, 2013, 03:21:02 PM
Tan is not brown, and it is clearly not the intention to allow tan.

Just wear black.

+100 go with black   8)

Airman De Ruiter

I'd love to, but when it's about 115F out, black is not an option, especially during deblouse. What's the best way of letting a C/Capt know he's wrong?

Eclipse

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 20, 2013, 06:17:32 PM
I'd love to, but when it's about 115F out, black is not an option, especially during deblouse.

Nonsense.

The vast majority of members, including most national activities, encampments, wear black t-shirts, including NESA.

Your shirt color is not going to make that much difference, and there is a legit argument that in that kind of whether
you should have your blouse BDU coat on, sleeves down.

Not to mention that if it's 115°, ORM is going to preclude most outside activities.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

We wear black shirts in California Wing with no problems. And yes it get's just as hot here as it does in Vegas.

Luis R. Ramos

I have been at airshows during the summer where we had to deblouse. Either choice, black or brown, are dark. I debloused when wearing both, it did not kill me nor any of the cadets assigned.

Drink more water, have request shorter assignments, and obey your cadet captain's orders.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

Airman De Ruiter

Well, with all due respect, if I'm authorized to wear brown, I'm going to wear brown when it is that hot. And as for obey captain's orders, does that include when he says "tan is fine"?

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on January 20, 2013, 06:24:45 PM
We wear black shirts in California Wing with no problems. And yes it get's just as hot here as it does in Vegas.

The fountains at Caesars Palace last week.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 20, 2013, 06:29:07 PM
Well, with all due respect, if I'm authorized to wear brown, I'm going to wear brown when it is that hot. And as for obey captain's orders, does that include when he says "tan is fine"?

The wear brown.  A Cadet "anything" is not alloed to make the authorization, nor, actually, would your unit CC. 

Unit commanders may approved a unit T-Shirt, within a narrow lane, and it has to be black or brown. 

Tan is not brown.

FYI - part of maturity, and a lesson for cadets, is not punctuating the tone of responses with "you can't make me". 

"That Others May Zoom"

Patterson

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 20, 2013, 06:29:07 PM

Hahahahahahahaha....you won't be around very long!!  First, you very well know TAN IS NOT BROWN.  They are two very different colors (thus the two very different names). Second, you personally are not allowed to decide which color shirt to wear.  YOU follow the orders of those in your chain of command.  Third, you know tan is not allowed, and now you have implied your "captain" has said you may wear tan.  You just publicly got that person noticed by Wing, Region and National.  Good job!!

So glad my members don't cause public embarrassment or problems for me!!!

Airman De Ruiter

The only things I've gotten from CoC is that "black, brown, and tan are authorized".

Now it comes down to CoC vs. what I know the manual says.

P.S.
Why is this place so hostile? Just trying to find out the right way of doing things.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 20, 2013, 06:53:01 PM
P.S.
Why is this place so hostile? Just trying to find out the right way of doing things.

In honor of the NFL Playoffs, I'm throwing the flag for Trolling on CAP Talk.

Your OP may have been an honest question. But after 2 seasoned members answered "No tan.", you continued to attempt to justify the answer you wanted.

Luis R. Ramos

This place is not hostile just because they are presenting the reality of things, the correct way to do things.

You come in with an attitude, "I know this to be true, I want the members of this forum to agree with me."

When the members of the forum tell you how to do things, which are contrary to what you want, now they are hostile?

Sorry, that is life.

Three experienced members are telling you what to do. You are arguing against.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

Airman De Ruiter

No, what? I got it already about the no tan. I said that if I can wear brown, I will when it get extremely hot. I understand that the you guys said no tan, but then it was said to follow my captain's orders. He explicitly said tan is okay. Now I'm confused. Manual vs. CoC?

Eclipse

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on January 20, 2013, 07:14:17 PM
No, what? I got it already about the no tan. I said that if I can wear brown, I will when it get extremely hot. I understand that the you guys said no tan, but then it was said to follow my captain's orders. He explicitly said tan is okay. Now I'm confused. Manual vs. CoC?

What is the proper response when a commander directs you to do something that you know is incorrect or outside their authority?

And in this case, this is not a "no time for backup, seconds mean lives situation".  You have two options which are clearly within the
regulations, and one which is clearly not.  Choose an appropriate option and disregard making this a "lawful orders" issue.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer

Airman De Ruiter

That would be my entire question and confusion right there.